Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

grizzly wrote: »
    I envy you, it's wonderful.

This is going to get a guaranteed sequel right? Even if it's not the same characters.

Whether Joel and Ellie will come back is doubtful but I'd say they're definitely going to make more games set in that universe.

They better!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

Just finished it last night, and loved it. I generally don't like very linear, scripted games, but the world/scenario is so good and it's so dripping with atmosphere, it's very hard not to like. As said above, I prefer the Red Dead Redemption game / ending as RDR managed to keep a strong, focused story despite being a big, open-world game with lots of choices and paths. With TLOU, you're almost on rails through the game.

Spoilers..
    I was guessing endings throughout the game, but got it wrong. Initially, I thought there would be a big 'twist' where "The Last of Us" actually refers to the infected: the infected would get killed off during the game, with Joel being the last infected (but not turning, like Ellie) without realising it - notice how he can "see" via sound like a clicker? Obviously, very wrong there! :)

I was expecting a very grim ending.. Joel & Ellie getting to the Fireflys only to discover they're all dead, or even Ellie getting killed/lost. When Joel was injured, I thought that would be the end, with Ellie continuing on her own - quite like the storyline in The Book of Eli. IMO, that would have been an even better ending.

Still, isn't it funny/refreshing to be talking about a game and almost exclusively talking about the story, and not the graphics, framerate, gameplay mechanics.

Like some, I preferred the tension/suspense, rather than the 'traps' (i.e. the areas where you open a door, and you're suddenly attacked by lots of enemies and can't proceed until you kill them all). When you're killed lots of times in rapid succession, it kind of drains away the tension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Finished my third playthrough last night, and picked up the last of the single player trophies. Last trophy for me was the one for conversations, was still missing 2 by the end.

So, just multiplayer left then. Has anybody here gotten the four trophies for that and are they difficult to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Aaargh, was stuck in the
    hotel basement for half an hour lastnight trying to find the way out, looked it up on youtube eventually only to see my game had glitched. None of the zombies spawned nor did the keycard I needed to get out!!
    Loving the game so far though.

Whats the solution for you so?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Singleplayer is awesome. The story just CLICKED for me.

I see what you did there. :p

• Advertisement

who_me wrote: »
    Like some, I preferred the tension/suspense, rather than the 'traps' (i.e. the areas where you open a door, and you're suddenly attacked by lots of enemies and can't proceed until you kill them all). When you're killed lots of times in rapid succession, it kind of drains away the tension.

+1

Aaargh, was stuck in the
    hotel basement for half an hour lastnight trying to find the way out, looked it up on youtube eventually only to see my game had glitched. None of the zombies spawned nor did the keycard I needed to get out!!
    Loving the game so far though.

There was no bug there. They only spawn when certain conditions are met. Some spawn when you activate the generator and some when you pick up the card, which again only spawns when you see the generator. Its working as intended. That was a great encounter. Most people wet themselves lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Finished my third playthrough last night, and picked up the last of the single player trophies. Last trophy for me was the one for conversations, was still missing 2 by the end.

So, just multiplayer left then. Has anybody here gotten the four trophies for that and are they difficult to do?

I didnt think so they were easy enough just long for each side its a round a day for 12 weeks + so thats over 80 rounds for hunters then another for the fireflies thats provided you dont loose all your survivors during the 12 weeks then its back to square 1

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Kirby wrote: »
    There was no bug there. They only spawn when certain conditions are met. Some spawn when you activate the generator and some when you pick up the card, which again only spawns when you see the generator. Its working as intended. That was a great encounter. Most people wet themselves lol.

I had the generator started and zombies and keycard were nowhere to be seen with area completely explored and all pick ups taken.

I had the generator started and zombies and keycard were nowhere to be seen with area completely explored and all pick ups taken.

That sounds odd alright. Had you tried to open the locked door?

• Advertisement

I just have to get the trophies for finishing each factions campaign. I'm almost finished week 7 of the hunters campaign and oh my god is it dragging on. The thought of doing it all again for the fireflies does not appeal to me. They should have made this a lot shorter.
    You will get slaughtered in every match until you rank up a bit and get some better weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭shreddedloops

Looking back at the start of this thread really shows the pessimism of some people. Oh if they had of known then what we know now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Looking back at the start of this thread really shows the pessimism of some people. Oh if they had of known then what we know now.

I did the same thing there recently. Some people remained pessimistic the entire time, even now in the face of brilliance they remain, unrelenting :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That sounds odd alright. Had you tried to open the locked door?

Yeah, the door handle wasn't even getting highlighted by the little circle, no way to interact, it was as if the door was just one I couldn't use at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

grizzly wrote: »
    I envy you, it's wonderful.

This is going to get a guaranteed sequel right? Even if it's not the same characters.

ND have said they'll only do it if they feel they can come up with a good story for it so it's a maybe for now, although it doesn't sound like it's a priority and they're no doubt working on another non-Last of Us game at this point.

They did buy up the domains for games 2 and 3 but that's really just as a safety measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Uncharted 1 was great, and then Uncharted 2 was far far better so I have no doubt ND can improve on the game if they feel they are able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I got totally owned the first time. Was prepped and ready next time round and then the bloater spawned in a different area :eek:

I didnt have enough ammo to make a stand and fight so I just legged it to the card reader and got outta there. Fortune favours the fast in TLOU

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Uncharted 1 was great, and then Uncharted 2 was far far better so I have no doubt ND can improve on the game if they feel they are able to.

Apples and oranges though. Narrative wasn't a particularly strong aspect of Uncharted and the ending didn't have any finality to it at all. The fact that the story was so much in the vain of a blockbuster action movie or a comic series made it very easy to make more adventures for Drake without diluting it since he is a fairly two-dimensional character who doesn't really have a character arc, unlike Joel who has changed greatly by the end of the game. The gameplay mechanics were the far more important part of Uncharted for most people. The Last of Us was more focused on dramatic narrative than gameplay and with the ending they gave, continuing the story in a way that doesn't seem forced will be extremely difficult.

Uncharted was sort of like Indiana Jones and it was easy to just think of more exotic locations for Drake to wind up in to push the story along. It sort of feels like making The Last of Us 2 would be like making There Will Be Blood 2.

C14N wrote: »
    Apples and oranges though. Narrative wasn't a particularly strong aspect of Uncharted and the ending didn't have any finality to it at all. The fact that the story was so much in the vain of a blockbuster action movie or a comic series made it very easy to make more adventures for Drake without diluting it since he is a fairly two-dimensional character who doesn't really have a character arc, unlike Joel who has changed greatly by the end of the game. The gameplay mechanics were the far more important part of Uncharted for most people. The Last of Us was more focused on dramatic narrative than gameplay and with the ending they gave, continuing the story in a way that doesn't seem forced will be extremely difficult.

Uncharted was sort of like Indiana Jones and it was easy to just think of more exotic locations for Drake to wind up in to push the story along. It sort of feels like making The Last of Us 2 would be like making There Will Be Blood 2.

I've been dying to make this point. The evolution of the character was brilliant to the point I was screaming at the tv during the
    torture scene and where he's walking through the town screaming "WHERE IS SHE!"
    He starts off as someone just looking to get by, head down not confrontational but there's always an underlying menace to him.
    Bill makes a comment directed at him "It's not the infected that worry me it's the regular people" Ellie says "What does he mean by that" and Joel says something like "Never mind"
    I just knew at this point he was going to be my fav character ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

I've been dying to make this point. The evolution of the character was brilliant to the point I was screaming at the tv during the
    torture scene and where he's walking through the town screaming "WHERE IS SHE!"
    He starts off as someone just looking to get by, head down not confrontational but there's always an underlying menace to him.
    Bill makes a comment directed at him "It's not the infected that worry me it's the regular people" Ellie says "What does he mean by that" and Joel says something like "Never mind"
    I just knew at this point he was going to be my fav character ever.

i dont remember the
    torture scene, where was that again?

etxp wrote: »
    i dont remember the
    torture scene, where was that again?

He's trying to find Ellie
    as David has her. Has one guy tied to a radiator and beats the living **** out of him. Turns to the next guy he has tied to a chair and before he says anything sticks a knife behind his kneecap. Makes him point out where Ellie is on a map telling him if your buddy doesn't confirm it things will be bad.
    Kills the fella and turns to the guy tied to the rad who's screaming you killed him and he told you what you wanted to hear I'm telling you nothing. Joel says something like "That's all right I believed him" and caves the dude's head in.

G'wan Joel!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Out of curiosity, what was your tactic for taking out the bloaters?
    For me it was the petrol bombs/nail bombs. But then in the tunnel it was simply the flamethrower. :)

Must admit I dd a lot of running away first play through. Game ended and I had tonnes of unused weaponary.
    There were times though where I had little health, no ammo and nothing to craft thinking "what the hell do I do now?" You hit certain sections then that has an abundance of pickups. I've never explored so much in a game looking for stuff. "2 magnum bullets - wahey!!!"

He's trying to find Ellie
    as David has her. Has one guy tied to a radiator and beats the living **** out of him. Turns to the next guy he has tied to a chair and before he says anything sticks a knife behind his kneecap. Makes him point out where Ellie is on a map telling him if your buddy doesn't confirm it things will be bad.
    Kills the fella and turns to the guy tied to the rad who's screaming you killed him and he told you what you wanted to hear I'm telling you nothing. Joel says something like "That's all right I believed him" and caves the dude's head in.

G'wan Joel!

Oh yes I remember now!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, what was your tactic for taking out the bloaters?
    For me it was the petrol bombs/nail bombs. But then in the tunnel it was simply the flamethrower. :)

For me
    when they didn't know you were there it was the bow, in the tunnel I used 2 molotov's which only left one bloater then took it out with a nail bomb.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Still can't be bothered playing going back to this game, I think single player games are dead to me at the moment. Need to burn myself out on my current multiplayer games, could take a while though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I finally got around to trying out Uncharted 3 last night, played through the first 5 chapters. The game seems positivly crude in comparison to The last of us. Hard to believe it was a AAA title only 4 years ago. The combat is lame beyond belief, and the way characters move around their environment seems especially clunky. It does look nice though, no doubt.

Il play it through to the end seeing as I went to all the bother of downloading it, as I'm sure there is some good set pieces to enjoy.

Seems like other studios are really gonna have to up their game post TLOU.

Azza wrote: »
    Still can't be bothered playing going back to this game, I think single player games are dead to me at the moment. Need to burn myself out on my current multiplayer games, could take a while though.

You're missing out man. This ones a classic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Got home and had a bit of grub, sat down to the game about 5:30 and didnt put it down until about 12:30AM.

Started on Hard, so I've died about a dozen times at this stage, mainly in the
    Highschool gym when the first bloater pops up I've used so much ammo when the runners rush you outside by the buses

Loving the game so far its really griping and I'm enjoying the story line, I'm just in the
    Hotel in Pittsuburgh and I've been seperated from Ellie

Cant wait to throw more hours into it later on.

Whats the game like online?

Advertisement