Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

I finally got around to trying out Uncharted 3 last night, played through the first 5 chapters. The game seems positivly crude in comparison to The last of us. Hard to believe it was a AAA title only 4 years ago. The combat is lame beyond belief, and the way characters move around their environment seems especially clunky. It does look nice though, no doubt.

Il play it through to the end seeing as I went to all the bother of downloading it, as I'm sure there is some good set pieces to enjoy.

Seems like other studios are really gonna have to up their game post TLOU.
    It's not even out 2 years yet :pac:

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Kirby wrote:
    You're missing out man. This ones a classic.

I'm sure I'll get around to it eventually. But only after I get tired of my current multiplayer games. Single player games even good ones like this and Bioshock and Tomb Raider just feel shallow to some multiplayer games.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Whats the game like online?

I played it a couple of weekends and really liked it but only when playing in a group. Not sure about longetivity. It can be INCREDIBLY frustrating but fun. Played solo last Friday and got so annoyed had to put on MW2 MP to calm down.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I played it a couple of weekends and really liked it but only when playing in a group. Not sure about longetivity. It can be INCREDIBLY frustrating but fun. Played solo last Friday and got so annoyed had to put on MW2 MP to calm down.

Thats how I feel about SP when you get in a brawl with a runner and a clicker turns up and you cant do feck all about it really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Thats how I feel about SP when you get in a brawl with a runner and a clicker turns up and you cant do feck all about it really.

Shiv Master is your friend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Um...so I bought into all the hype (just like I did with L.A Noire) and after some hours playing last night, I have to be honest and say that I am not that impressed. So far, I've seen nothing to warrant all the 10/10 reviews, or all the online fawning either.

It's an average linear, cover based shooter, with some fantastic visuals, great voice acting and a cracking opening sequence.

But, gameplay-wise it's cover, sneak, strangle/knife/shoot, cutscene...repeat.

Like L.A. Noire, the concept is there, the visuals are there...they just forgot the actual game.

I'm hoping that with a few more hours under my belt, it might improve.

So far, though, I have to say I am disapointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Tony EH wrote: »
    Um...so I bought into all the hype (just like I did with L.A Noire) and after some hours playing last night, I have to be honest and say that I am not that impressed. So far, I've seen nothing to warrant all the 10/10 reviews, or all the online fawning either.

It's an average linear, cover based shooter, with some fantastic visuals, great voice acting and a cracking opening sequence.

But, gameplay-wise it's cover, sneak, strangle/knife/shoot, cutscene...repeat.

Like L.A. Noire, the concept is there, the visuals are there...they just forgot the actual game.

I'm hoping that with a few more hours under my belt, it might improve.

So far, though, I have to say I am disapointed.

It does improve as you go on, well for me it did. Whereabouts are you at the moment?

I've caught up with Ellie and have evaded a load of coppers. The other lady is still with us...(
    I'm pesuming she gets whacked sometime soon
    ). I'm not that far, I know, so I'm hoping that it'll get better and I'll see the light as it were, but I've read that the game mechanics don't really change from beginning to end. I like to take my time with games to really enjoy them. Rushing to the finish line is not my cup of tea.

So far I've been very impressed with the graphic work, especially in the cutscenes, but if I want to watch a series of nicely rendered scenes, I'll watch a film.

The "cover/kill/cutscene" patern is just not doing it for me at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I felt the same way during the first half of the game but stick with it, the second half is unbelievably good and its the reasons for the 10/10's.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah gameplay won't change much.

Like Tony I was underwhelmed at the start but the story dragged me in. Really started caring about the characters and lapped up the cut scenes, which really isn't my thing usually.

• Advertisement

Yeah it's early days yet for you. It gets better, those early parts were the "worst" of it I felt. It'll get you don't worry :pac:

Well, obviously, I'm going to play it through (damn right for 50 bloody quid), but if the gameplay remains as is, there better be some other really good factor for me to start loving it.

:pac:

Still, I cannot help feeling that there's a bit of codology going on with this title.

A shame, as I really want to like this.

Anyway...we'll press on...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Well, obviously, I'm going to play it through (damn right for 50 bloody quid), but if the gameplay remains as is, there better be some other really good factor for me to start loving it.

:pac:

Still, I cannot help feeling that there's a bit of codology going on with this title.

A shame, as I really want to like this.

Anyway...we'll press on...

You're not even 20% in yet, don't make your mind up yet.

Oh, the mind is far from made up just yet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

That building that you are heading towards with Elli and Tess....the one with the dome...... the game only really kicks in and grabs you once you leave it. In my opinion anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

What difficulty did you set the game at?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

You should really just finish the single player before having a look in this thread again.Takes away from the game imo and there's plenty of spoilers here that i would have hated to see when i was playing through it,but i just avoided this thread until i finished the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I've caught up with Ellie and have evaded a load of coppers. The other lady is still with us...(
    I'm pesuming she gets whacked sometime soon
    ). I'm not that far, I know, so I'm hoping that it'll get better and I'll see the light as it were, but I've read that the game mechanics don't really change from beginning to end. I like to take my time with games to really enjoy them. Rushing to the finish line is not my cup of tea.

So far I've been very impressed with the graphic work, especially in the cutscenes, but if I want to watch a series of nicely rendered scenes, I'll watch a film.

The "cover/kill/cutscene" patern is just not doing it for me at the moment.

No BS, I felt similarly at that (very early) point in the game. Up to there, it just feels like regular old AAA stuff with chest-high walls signalling the incoming baddies and with stealth sections consisting of a bunch of guys with tunnel vision all facing the same direction and standing still so you can strangle them but this really is just a ham-handed tutorial stage. As someone who was also well into the hype and had seen all the massively positive reviews, I was a bit let down.

You will find it getting better as you go on though as the characters develop (something horribly rare in video games) and the gameplay becomes far more harrowing and difficult. It wasn't until the ending that I decided it was really a 10/10 game for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Any tips on what's the best items for your load-out in MP? I'm currently using Covert Training 2 and Hawkeye 3 but I still get slaughtered a fair bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

J. Marston wrote: »
    Any tips on what's the best items for your load-out in MP? I'm currently using Covert Training 2 and Hawkeye 3 but I still get slaughtered a fair bit.

I use First Aid 2. Healing lads is class for exp/parts. Covert 2 and then just things like reviver 1 and explosion expert 1.

• Advertisement

What difficulty did you set the game at?

Started off on Normal, then I upped it by one.

You should really just finish the single player before having a look in this thread again.Takes away from the game imo and there's plenty of spoilers here that i would have hated to see when i was playing through it,but i just avoided this thread until i finished the game.

Haven't read all of the thread. I Just skimmed.

Started off on Normal, then I upped it by one.

Good man, thats the appropriate difficulty level for this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

As a person who has played it through on both Normal and Survivor, I can imagine why Hard is the nice sweetspot. Survivor is cool because there is no R2 listen mode.....so you have to mind your surroundings more and its tense.

But its also less fun simply because you have less stuff. There are encounters where you have to kill a bunch of enemies and simply only have a couple of bullets make it frustrating. Not difficult....just annoying. You find yourself thinking, "I'm making every shot count and using traps, and I still have no ammo." and then you have to herp a derp melee instead of being skilful like you want.

Normal has too many items to scavenge. Survivor has too few. Hard mode seems the best balance imo.

Kirby wrote: »
    As a person who has played it through on both Normal and Survivor, I can imagine why Hard is the nice sweetspot. Survivor is cool because there is no R2 listen mode.....so you have to mind your surroundings more and its tense.

But its also less fun simply because you have less stuff. There are encounters where you have to kill a bunch of enemies and simply only have a couple of bullets make it frustrating. Not difficult....just annoying. You find yourself thinking, "I'm making every shot count and using traps, and I still have no ammo." and then you have to herp a derp melee instead of being skilful like you want.

Normal has too many items to scavenge. Survivor has too few. Hard mode seems the best balance imo.

Yeah, exactly this. Playing survivor, you dont get to use some of the more fun weapons like nail bombs, upgraded melee weapons or shivs. Simply because you know you need to save all those blades for the locked doors. So yeah, some of the fun is sucked out. But not having listen mode is a bonus, game plays better without it I think.

Good man, thats the appropriate difficulty level for this game.

Had to switch all the "enhancements" off too, like Listen Mode. Don't really see the point in having them on. Just makes it feel like a Batman game.

Had to switch all the "enhancements" off too, like Listen Mode. Don't really see the point in having them on. Just makes it feel like a Batman game.

can you do that??? I woulda loved Hard mode sans Listen Mode

I guess you could take a screwdriver to the Listen button :pac:

Or just not press it

I guess you could take a screwdriver to the Listen button :pac:

Or just not press it

Ah but when push comes to shove you're gonna use it if its there :P

• Advertisement

Oh my god I hate the multiplayer so much. Week 12 of the hunter campaign, last challenge/mission came up. Picked an easy one- revive team mates. Next three matches we totally dominated, no one needed reviving. Mission failed, clan wiped out and back to square f****** one. Best part of two weeks wasted. Words cannot express my rage :(

Advertisement