Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Varik wrote: »
    This isn't some EU wide law or Germany forcing anyone to do anything, ND and Sony just wanted to release a single version rather than mutiple; it's ND and Sony fault not Germanys.

Well it's still kind of Germany's fault since ND clearly wanted to save some money and not create a specific version for them. At the same time it's really not a big deal, it seems like the censorship was pretty minimal.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

I know I am behind time on this, but I am only playing the last of us these days. I bought it on July 28th and I am only 57% through it. I only play about an hour or so each day. Really savoring every bit of it. And I am trying to avoid as much spoilers as possible, thus ignoring a lot of this topic :)

I am in the suburbs section of the game which many of you will remember. The fan in my 60GB ps3 gets quite noisy after about 30mins play.
    I love the story, very cinematic, excellent acting and voice over, and gameplay can be seen as linear but it works well. Naughty Dog has done one hell of a job. Best game I have played, well in its genre anyway.

Should be game of the year, unless Beyond two souls can top it. Which will be hard to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Just getting around to playing this myself - thanks to a borrowed PS3! :D

I've just the two issues with it. Firstly, it's linear as hell and sometimes I don't know where I'm going but end up where I'm supposed to be anyway. Secondly, I've found that when sneaking around with Ellie and Tess in tow that I could move position to get behind a target and they could end up running right across him/it to keep up with me and still not be detected.

Very minor issues overall though in what, for me, is game of the year. The story is good and interaction between characters is class, something i've never really paid much attention to when it comes to games. It's funny in a good few spots, particularly
    when Joel finds Frank's letter to Bill

Just past Winter now, so really looking forward to finding out what else is in store. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah the fact that Ellie/Tess can run right past enemies harms the realism but can you imagine how annoying it would be if they gave away your postion?
    I generally hate where you have to protect a character in a game but the way this was done took away a lot of unnecessary frustration and I think works pretty well.
    I thought game got better and better the more I progressed but Winter just blew me away.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just thinking about how they could have implemented AI that would never get caught but act realistically gives me a headache. Now it would be ideal if they did and while it looks utterly ridiculous and kind of breaks the suspension of disbelief it's a far better alternative to the player failing through no fault of their own, which is a death sentence for most games.

• Advertisement

I will be buying the upcoming story dlc due to be released at the end of this month. Not sure about multiplayer, i dont have much interest in online play. I enjoy the last of us for the movie-like experience. Although thats generally a one play-through for many gamers including myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Just getting around to playing this myself - thanks to a borrowed PS3! :D

I've just the two issues with it. Firstly, it's linear as hell and sometimes I don't know where I'm going but end up where I'm supposed to be anyway. Secondly, I've found that when sneaking around with Ellie and Tess in tow that I could move position to get behind a target and they could end up running right across him/it to keep up with me and still not be detected.

Very minor issues overall though in what, for me, is game of the year. The story is good and interaction between characters is class, something i've never really paid much attention to when it comes to games. It's funny in a good few spots, particularly
    when Joel finds Frank's letter to Bill

Just past Winter now, so really looking forward to finding out what else is in store. :)

i-GLQjhhF-950x10000.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

^^^^^ +1 for you sir:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Oh god that used to be so frustrating. The controller nearly got it a few times because of it!

You know, I started playing Bioshock Infinite at the weekend and I noticed that the same thing happens for Elizabeth. She can run right into a heavily guarded area and they won't do anything about it. I guess it's not as noticeable because it's not a stealth game though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finally got the skull mask on MP after four attempts.

Sweet relief, that was annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Backfire wrote: »
    I will be buying the upcoming story dlc due to be released at the end of this month. Not sure about multiplayer, i dont have much interest in online play. I enjoy the last of us for the movie-like experience. Although thats generally a one play-through for many gamers including myself.

source re: story dlc being released at the end of August?

I believe what they said was that news regarding the dlc would be made available before the end of this month...

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Just thinking about how they could have implemented AI that would never get caught but act realistically gives me a headache. Now it would be ideal if they did and while it looks utterly ridiculous and kind of breaks the suspension of disbelief it's a far better alternative to the player failing through no fault of their own, which is a death sentence for most games.

this is a quote from either Bruce Straley or Neil Druckmann, not sure which one:

"We even had dialogue recorded where she was going to apologize if she broke stealth. We were going to have a small percentage chance that maybe if she bumped into a guy, or obviously walked right in front of him, that he would notice her, and then the enemies would react. And after combat, she would actually apologize. ‘Sorry about that, I ****ed up back there.’ And it was just one of those things, that–time is of the essence. You run out of it. You’re like, what are your priorities? What are people willing to live with? We just didn’t have enough time in the end to solve all the problems. We have ways of solving it. It was just, simply, time ran out. But we have a good foundation, so keep building."

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I keep seeing this issue of the NPC's running around with impunity and the enemies ignoring them being raised on the web and people moaning about how it affects the enjoyment of the game.

But I shudder what the response would be if Ellie etc did attract the enemies with their noise. It would an awful handicap to the player.

The think the web would melt with all the outrage. :pac:

The only solution I could think of would be to keep the current system but to program Ellie a little better so she didn't run up to enemies so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

C14N wrote: »
    The only solution I could think of would be to keep the current system but to program Ellie a little better so she didn't run up to enemies so often.

I was playing last night and Joel told Ellie to stay back as he approached 2 bloaters, a clicker and a couple of runners. Thought occured to me if there was an option to hand signal her to stay or follow, it'd be a bit more realistic - I've seen this in other games, but can't think of which ones just now.

There's probably no easy way to do it, but I'm over it now - very minor detail. Like a couple of lads have said, it'd be headwrecking to have the alternative in the game where she alerts all and sundry.

Anyway, no matter what way this game goes it was worth it just for Winter. Well, worth borrowing a PS3 and the game in my case! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Tony EH wrote: »
    I keep seeing this issue of the NPC's running around with impunity and the enemies ignoring them being raised on the web and people moaning about how it affects the enjoyment of the game.

But I shudder what the response would be if Ellie etc did attract the enemies with their noise. It would an awful handicap to the player.

The think the web would melt with all the outrage. :pac:

It was a tradeoff in realism that worked imo, nothing worse than NPCs running places they shouldnt and messing things up, it never bothered me playing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Me neither. TBH, I never really noticed, until I saw someone mention it on the interwebs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

some guy was going mad earlier on MP because people were stealing his executions. i found it hilarious, he was worried he wouldnt get some stupid mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

online is great ,new maps out in the next month I think

• Advertisement

etxp wrote: »
    some guy was going mad earlier on MP because people were stealing his executions. i found it hilarious, he was worried he wouldnt get some stupid mask.

Whenever I play with mates we do this to each other all the time. It never gets old

I was playing last night and Joel told Ellie to stay back as he approached 2 bloaters, a clicker and a couple of runners. Thought occured to me if there was an option to hand signal her to stay or follow, it'd be a bit more realistic - I've seen this in other games, but can't think of which ones just now.

There's probably no easy way to do it, but I'm over it now - very minor detail. Like a couple of lads have said, it'd be headwrecking to have the alternative in the game where she alerts all and sundry.

Anyway, no matter what way this game goes it was worth it just for Winter. Well, worth borrowing a PS3 and the game in my case! :D

I don't think I would have liked being able to tell her what to do. If that was the case then there would have to be a trade-off to telling her to follow, whether that means she blows you cover or she can be killed. Also might mess with the story a little since Ellie doesn't always just do what Joel says.

I finished the game last night. Man its one hell of a storyline and i like the ending, it truly highlighted joel's character.

Cant wait for the dlc, whenever it will be out.

And i am confident that there will be a sequel, its a blockbuster for sony and naughtydog, money will drive them to make another :)

I finished the game last night. Man its one hell of a storyline and i like the ending, it truly highlighted joel's character.

And i am confident that there will be a sequel, its a blockbuster for sony and naughtydog, money will drive them to make another :)

Totally agree with this. Saw a lot of negative comments about the end but I loved it. I always
    murder the doctors
    , cos that's what Joel would do!

Well based on stuff I've heard around the game, it really sounds like Sony don't pressure Naughty Dog much about money. They just trust them to do whatever they want. Naughty Dog sound like a bunch of guys who just make games they want to play because people will buy it anyway so I wouldn't say there's any guarantee about a sequel right now.

C14N wrote: »
    Well based on stuff I've heard around the game, it really sounds like Sony don't pressure Naughty Dog much about money. They just trust them to do whatever they want. Naughty Dog sound like a bunch of guys who just make games they want to play because people will buy it anyway so I wouldn't say there's any guarantee about a sequel right now.

True, but NaughtyDog have been known to milk series a bit if they know they will succeed.

I'll be extremely surprised if they don't make a sequel, but don't expect it to be released until 2016 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

True, but NaughtyDog have been known to milk series a bit if they know they will succeed.

Milk Series!? I think you are talking about the wrong developer. They seem to have an issue getting past the number 3 which is fine by me! :P

tok9 wrote: »
    Milk Series!? I think you are talking about the wrong developer. They seem to have an issue getting past the number 3 which is fine by me! :P

making 3 is milking in in my opinion....:p

anyway, a 2nd last of us is not beyond them. And that would be that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

I loved Uncharted 2 and 3 but feel a bit let down by this....so go for it.:D

Right, I've just finished it and wow!! What a game. I take back a lot of my criticism but still feel the pacing all over the place for the first 30% of the game. It takes nothing from the game now that I've finished it and I'm just sad its all over.:mad:

While I still think Uncharted is a better game as far as gameplay and variety is concerned the story, fear and emotion in Last of Us is unparalleled.

Cant wait for part 2!! :D

Advertisement