Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I got totally owned the first time. Was prepped and ready next time round and then the bloater spawned in a different area :eek:

That took me feckin ages to do. Kept getting murdered no matter what I did. Eventually did it by making a huge dash and lobbing explosives and bombs at whatever got in my way. I nearly let go of my bowels when the door didn't open the 1st time I hit triangle....then swiped the card and was saved! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well, obviously, I'm going to play it through (damn right for 50 bloody quid), but if the gameplay remains as is, there better be some other really good factor for me to start loving it.

:pac:

Still, I cannot help feeling that there's a bit of codology going on with this title.

A shame, as I really want to like this.

Anyway...we'll press on...

Well, Tony, did you finish it? Changed your mind at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,315 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Aye Mike, I finished it a while ago and while my original criticisms still remain, it certainly did turn a corner and morph into something very good indeed.

I still dislike the linear nature of the title though and gameplay kind of is a bit stale after a while. But I have to admit, when the end came along I was a little let down...not because I thought is was a bad game (or ending), but because I wanted more.

So yeh, roll on part 2.
    I hear that Ellie is going to be the main focus of it. Not sure how I feel about that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

And where would you have heard that Tony?

I read it on the interweb, somewhere. Not sure how much value one can put on it, but there it is nonetheless.

Kind of makes sense in a way,
    but I'd still like the main character to be somebody else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Just finished it. No real spoilers follow.

While I did enjoy it, I couldn't shake the feeling throughout that it was just a reskinned Uncharted with a zombie gimmick. Quiet bit, then shooty bit, then explorey bit, then dialogue bit, repeat throughout. You just knew when there was going to be a shooty bit when you see all the cover set up in the arena before it actually happens - not very good game design when you're aware of it while playing, and a carryover of the problems that the Uncharted series had too.

It's all very linear too, very "on rails". I didn't find that as much of a problem in Uncharted because you were basically playing through an adventure movie and the game wanted you to get from A to B as quickly as possible. The slower pace here demanded more choice I think, more routes, more emphasis on exploration, which we didn't get. We were always being told by the game where to go next.

The ending was abrupt but I liked it - it left me wondering where their story would go. And the voice acting is top notch, and the interactions between Joel and Ellie always seem natural and authentic.

Some terrific scenes throughout, the hotel basement scene being one of the best scenes I've ever played in a game. Exhilarating.

So to sum up, enjoyed it, but won't be playing through again. Gonna go trade it in while the value is still high and put it towards my GTA pre order.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Roar wrote: »
    While I did enjoy it, I couldn't shake the feeling throughout that it was just a reskinned Uncharted with a zombie gimmick.

Not going to disagree with most of your post because it's your own opinion but I can't see how you thought this. The game was completely different from Uncharted. Uncharted was pure shooting and action, this was much more of a slow stealth game. Really the only similarities were that it was an over-the-shoulder game with guns but so are Mass Effect and Spec Ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

It's not completely different though. It's essentially the same as Uncharted -wander into arena, remove arena of enemies, wander down the only route you can go down, go into another arena, remove arena of enemies, and repeat. It's slower paced than Uncharted sure, and there's more of an emphasis on stealth, but it's essentially the same game mechanic. Which is why I couldn't stop comparing it to Uncharted throughout, and the game suffers for it. It's just not different enough from its predecessor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Just finished it. No real spoilers follow.

While I did enjoy it, I couldn't shake the feeling throughout that it was just a reskinned Uncharted with a zombie gimmick. Quiet bit, then shooty bit, then explorey bit, then dialogue bit, repeat throughout. You just knew when there was going to be a shooty bit when you see all the cover set up in the arena before it actually happens - not very good game design when you're aware of it while playing, and a carryover of the problems that the Uncharted series had too.

It's all very linear too, very "on rails". I didn't find that as much of a problem in Uncharted because you were basically playing through an adventure movie and the game wanted you to get from A to B as quickly as possible. The slower pace here demanded more choice I think, more routes, more emphasis on exploration, which we didn't get. We were always being told by the game where to go next.

The ending was abrupt but I liked it - it left me wondering where their story would go. And the voice acting is top notch, and the interactions between Joel and Ellie always seem natural and authentic.

Some terrific scenes throughout, the hotel basement scene being one of the best scenes I've ever played in a game. Exhilarating.

So to sum up, enjoyed it, but won't be playing through again. Gonna go trade it in while the value is still high and put it towards my GTA pre order.

Again, your opinion but thing I noticed is that the "conveniently placed cover doesn't solely exist in areas where there are enemies, there are several locations throughout the game where there's a whole set up of cover, cars, concrete blockades etc and no enemies appear whatsoever (one that comes to mind is immediately before the capitol house in Boston, check it out)

If there was 0 cover when enemies appear people would complain because quite simply you'd die 99% of the time but the game isn't just open plan then suddenly cover appears when an enemy does. You don't notice the cover when there aren't enemies to force you to use it.

My tl;dr point is the cover environment items are fairly consistent throughout the game.

Also I thought the game was really different to Uncharted. The only time I was really reminded of Uncharted was shortly before the big bridge when there was a "kill everyone to proceed" occasion. More often than not its about sneaking past everyone, then occasionally get spotted and fight them off using all your available recources and crying in a corner later when a bloater is coming to get you :(

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I had to take a break from Survivor. Me and Ellie are currently trapped in a bar by four baddies. I have 1/2 health, no bullets or medi packs and a bottle :)

• Advertisement

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I had to take a break from Survivor. Me and Ellie are currently trapped in a bar by four baddies. I have 1/2 health, no bullets or medi packs and a bottle :)

I miss scrounging in games. Nowadays ye have your checkpoints every five minutes and regenerating health and F*cking aim assisting hint dropping mechanics. Give me the days of D00M and Deus Ex 1 where you'd have like 5% health so you'd search around for f*cking minutes on end for that one health pack so you can proceed to the next area only to get ambushed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Yeah I'm playing Classic on Dead Space 3 at the moment, which basically consists of waiting ages for the bots to come back so I can build something to enable me to progress a little more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It's not completely different though. It's essentially the same as Uncharted -wander into arena, remove arena of enemies, wander down the only route you can go down, go into another arena, remove arena of enemies, and repeat. It's slower paced than Uncharted sure, and there's more of an emphasis on stealth, but it's essentially the same game mechanic. Which is why I couldn't stop comparing it to Uncharted throughout, and the game suffers for it. It's just not different enough from its predecessor.

But you didn't have to kill enemies a lot of the time. I frequently found it easier to just go around them. The story, atmosphere and gameplay were very different to Uncharted. You're argument that it's basically the same because of "go to X, kill enemies, go to Y" could be applied to so many other games but I wouldn't go calling Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Solid, Battlefield 3, Splinter Cell, Spec Ops: The Line and Dishonored all the same just because they're all fairly linear and require you to kill enemies in one area after another.

Timmyctc wrote: »
    I miss scrounging in games. Nowadays ye have your checkpoints every five minutes and regenerating health and F*cking aim assisting hint dropping mechanics. Give me the days of D00M and Deus Ex 1 where you'd have like 5% health so you'd search around for f*cking minutes on end for that one health pack so you can proceed to the next area only to get ambushed :p

You've just pointed out the difference between Console games and PC games.

Tony EH wrote: »
    You've just pointed out the difference between Console games and PC games.

Well there mighn't be aim assist on PC but there's still health regen, hint dropping and linear gameplay with little yeild for searching for secrets in an increasing amount of games whereas back in the day, We had games like Goldeneye (I remember the boat level running around searching for the way out and armor because i had one bar of health left) and Doom (lets not get started on that :P ) there just seems to be a whole lot of crutches in modern gameplay. I just dont like it
    *stares wistfully off into middle distance*

That being said there are still loads of open world games too.

but there's still health regen, hint dropping and linear gameplay with little yeild for searching for secrets in an increasing amount of games

...cos consoles have ruined PC games too.

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

C14N wrote: »
    But you didn't have to kill enemies a lot of the time. I frequently found it easier to just go around them. The story, atmosphere and gameplay were very different to Uncharted. You're argument that it's basically the same because of "go to X, kill enemies, go to Y" could be applied to so many other games but I wouldn't go calling Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Solid, Battlefield 3, Splinter Cell, Spec Ops: The Line and Dishonored all the same just because they're all fairly linear and require you to kill enemies in one area after another.

Exactly. So TLOU is like Uncharted, because it's like games.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Weird question:

So I was playing earlier and at the second last cutscene in the whole game it started jumping and freezing like mad and then the entire ps3 froze, I had to pull the plug out to turn it off, when I turned it back on I checked the disc for scratches, and there isn't scratches on it, but there is weird wavy lines, kinda like what you would see in spilled diesel if you know what I mean?!

Is this normal? They aren't on any other of my discs, the picture might not show it but here you go: (the thing in the middle is the reflection of the light above!)

2lc89yg.jpg

I loaded the game back up and it plays fine, I completed it and then played multiplayer for an hour. But I am done with the game now and want to trade it in, just wondering will they think the disc is fooked in the shop when they look at it and not accept it.

mutley18 wrote: »
    Weird question:

So I was playing earlier and at the second last cutscene in the whole game it started jumping and freezing like mad and then the entire ps3 froze, I had to pull the plug out to turn it off, when I turned it back on I checked the disc for scratches, and there isn't scratches on it, but there is weird wavy lines, kinda like what you would see in spilled diesel if you know what I mean?!

Is this normal? They aren't on any other of my discs, the picture might not show it but here you go: (the thing in the middle is the reflection of the light above!)

2lc89yg.jpg

I loaded the game back up and it plays fine, I completed it and then played multiplayer for an hour. But I am done with the game now and want to trade it in, just wondering will they think the disc is fooked in the shop when they look at it and not accept it.

Thats so weird. It looks like heat damage. Did the disc bubble atall? If it looks like it mightnt work I think you can request them to test it. Not 100% on that though,

EDIT: Wait thats the reflection of your lamp. Loads of my discs look like that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

whats that near the center of the disk,looks like something spilled on it

• Advertisement

jebus84 wrote: »
    whats that near the center of the disk,looks like something spilled on it

Its the reflection of his light above. He's talking about the wavy lines on the actual disc. I think they appear due to heat, could be wrong. Very normal in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭mutley18

Timmyctc wrote: »
    Its the reflection of his light above. He's talking about the wavy lines on the actual disc. I think they appear due to heat, could be wrong. Very normal in any case

Ok that's good to know, had me confused as it is not on any other disc I own!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Ste_ston

I thought was a big freaky eye when I seen it first

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Confirmed. Joel is Sauron. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

who here is intending on purchasing the DLC when it does come out? particularly the single player dlc.

I will be buying that. but not the multi player dlcs. Unless I have no choice (if they put them together in a pack).

prob will get all the dlc,i found the multi player better on this than call of duty

prob will get all the dlc,i found the multi player better on this than call of duty

I have heard a lot of good things about the multiplayer, just busy playing dead space 3 on my xbox that I hadn't even tried it. Must try it some day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

C14N wrote: »
    But you didn't have to kill enemies a lot of the time. I frequently found it easier to just go around them.

Actually a few parts of this game really annoyed me where I wanted to sneak past enemies and stealth them but the game actively did not let me.

It was weird I was sneaking up behind enemies to get a back attack and they would always hear me and then rip me apart. It got really frustrating since I didn't know what I was doing wrong. Took me a lot of frustrating deaths to realise that the developers had designated this place as somewhere where stealth doesn't work. Very, very poor and inconsistent game design there. Fortunately I only encountered it in one or two areas.

Backfire wrote: »
    I have heard a lot of good things about the multiplayer, just busy playing dead space 3 on my xbox that I hadn't even tried it. Must try it some day.

dead space 3 might be the worse game ive played this year

• Advertisement

dead space 3 might be the worse game ive played this year

I'm enjoying it so far :)

I played and finished the first 2 and I know its more of the same but eh its fine for me.

I've played worse.

Advertisement