Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

good dlc added to the story but def not worth 15 euro maybe 10,as stated earlier it will make ya want to play the game all over again,not sure if the songs at the end were original or not for the content but the soundtrack is great on this game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

jebus84 wrote: »
    good dlc added to the story but def not worth 15 euro maybe 10,as stated earlier it will make ya want to play the game all over again,not sure if the songs at the end were original or not for the content but the soundtrack is great on this game.

yea i played the game again then done the DLC wish i waited now:( shuda done it the other way around LOL

the DLC was very funny lol

I knew something was gonna be up with
    ellie and rileys kiss:eek: or am i reading to much into it:confused:

I like how last of us goes for the opposite of what games are doing nowadays which is big bombastic action after action GO-GO-GO set pieces

here I was playing in a
    halloween store with a magic 8 ball and listening to ellie giving out bad jokes then having a water fight
    and I loved it but we also got our bloody carnage aswell with
    so much knifes to the head I felt like chucky running around that mall HAHA and messing with both sides getting them to kill one another ha great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I'm obsessed with The Last Of Us, I haven't shut up about it since its release, so I've been looking forward to this DLC for 8 months now and probably thought about it for at least one fleeting moment every day since, anticipating it's release. Hell I even put off booking extended travel plans until they revealed the release date of the DLC...

But I must say, I'm disappointed with it.
    I knew there was going to be lesbian storyline to this, it was extremely obvious once they revealed the release date of Valentines Day! Can't understand how people didn't see it coming, and I can't understand why naughty dog picked this date to release it, because by doing so they gave the games big story away to (some) people before they played it.
    So for me, I didn't get that experience of having a big surprise, something unexpected.
    Also, we knew they were gonna get attacked, get bitten, so I was anticipating it, I didn't know the when or the how but I still knew it was coming, still anticipated it.
    Saying that, the way it was done, the way the story unfolded and the moments they shared in the build-up , the highs their experience went to before the fall, it was so well done and pretty gut wrenching.
    This was powerful stuff, and I really feel like they needed to leave the moment settle, let you absorb the emotional turmoil we've just been through, but instead I was flung into middle of some intense action immediately, giving the preceding scenes no time to settle and to have their full impact, immediately I was forced to forget it and concentrate on some intense action. Massive mistake in my opinion.
    Also, another big mistake they made in my opinion is not finishing the Ellie and Riley storyline after that beautiful moment they shared, followed by the horror of the clickers rushing in on them. Such a perfect moment to end it on. What do we get instead? Run, jump and climb for your life, haven't we seen that in both uncharted 2 and uncharted 3?! I mean seriously, enough running for your life as an ending ND.
    But what annoyed me the most was the difficulty spike of the final scenario right before you rescue Joel. I should have finished this game at about the 2 hour 50 minutes mark (and I was taking my Damn time at that!), instead it was 3 hours 20 minutes, 30 minutes extra redoing that final fighting scene over and over and over, the intensity spike drove me mad, not only, as I said, unnecessarily lessening the emotional impact of the preceding scenes with Ellie and Riley, but also affecting my overall mood close to the closing scenes.
    Another thing that bothered me was the pretty extreme way Ellie slit open those throats right at the very end, not because I'm against gore or extreme violence, but I feel like it affects the main story. By that what I mean is at the start of Joel and Ellie's journey Ellie is a bit more innocent and we feel she is learning from Joel. Every situation they survive, every decision Joel makes she learns something almost. Initially, when Joel made some of the more extreme kills, Ellie makes comments like 'Jesus Joel' etc and she's a bit taken aback, yet here she is in a prequel ripping a throat open like you'd see in that movie The Raid or something, it just isn't consistent.
    Also, I'm not too sure about the relationship Neil choose to develop between Ellie and Riley, not because I have a problem with 2 people of the same Sex getting it on, I thought the Bill being Homsexual or maybe even Bi-sexual was a great addition, but I just wonder his reasons for doing this. I mean he got loads of praise for that Bill story addition, and for the strong portrayal of female characters, but are they just doing PC for the sake of PC at this stage, it just doesn't feel natural to me, feels like their trying to force a bit by having yet another possible stigma tackled, anyway I'm rambling now.

Anyway, it's a big enough file for such a short piece (which mattered because most broadband lines including my own are down since Wednesday, and it was hassle getting it all downloaded.. Really don't see a digital only gaming scene anytime soon) and a bit pricey too in my opinion.

The first couple of hours of my time with this were really enjoyable, everything up to and including when Ellie and Riley are dancing on the glass and the clickers rush in, but what follows was very disappointing for me.

I gave the main game 10/10, this gets a 7 at most I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

I think one thing people have to take note of is that Naughty Dog presented this, and intended this not as a prequel as many suggested but
    more of an interquel. The story was filling in the gaps we were left with RE: Joel and Ellie's escape from the Uni. The scenes with Riley were Ellie's flashbacks during said time.

The Contrasts between Ellie's 'day out' and the scenario in the Mall are fantastic imo. Tbh the valentines day release date didn't really give anything away. Loads of things release on Valentines day. Probably to appeal to a singles market more than anything. Didn't titanfall's beta release today too?

The music throughout was class again. Didn't pay particular attention to the credits but was Gustavo Santololla involved again? Wouldn't be surprised.
    We knew down to the word, what Riley and Ellie's encounter was like but it was still an unbelievably powerful scene when Riley spoke the words that Ellie did during the original game's closing scenes.

The mechanic in the mall
    where you could pit the infected against David's crew was really cool and really well done.

As an aside. Did you know the physics engine used in the game was made by an Irish company :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

And about a thousand other games, though the havok logo is getting less and less frequent these days. Theyre off chasing the Hollywood dollar anyway for fabric engines afaik

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Loved it. The last fight WAS very difficult though. They went over board.on that one.

More last of us please. Get to work naughty dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Downloaded this last night so going to give it a bash at one. I'll play it on the hardest setting definitely going to take my time with it

just something for those who have completed the dlc here is a spoiler chat with the guys on ign and the writers of the game some good insights

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/02/14/the-last-of-us-left-behind-spoilercast-podcast-beyond-episode-329

Just started playing the dlc last night and I must say I am a bit disappointed so far.

I have only played it for 1hr 23mins and I have already completed 52% (I am not rushing through it either).

It is not just the length of the dlc that bothers me though; I love the main game and have completed that multiple times but this dlc does not have much in the way of encounters with the infected and seems to be mainly focused on the story between Ellie and her friend Riley (you spend most of the time walking around not really doing anything). It is not a bad game so far but I was hoping for more. I don't see myself playing through this dlc a second time once I complete it.

My advice if you are thinking of getting this dlc is to wait for the price to drop, it is not worth €14.99.

• Just started playing the dlc last night and I must say I am a bit disappointed so far.

I have only played it for 1hr 23mins and I have already completed 52% (I am not rushing through it either).

It is not just the length of the dlc that bothers me though; I love the main game and have completed that multiple times but this dlc does not have much in the way of encounters with the infected and seems to be mainly focused on the story between Ellie and her friend Riley (you spend most of the time walking around not really doing anything). It is not a bad game so far but I was hoping for more. I don't see myself playing through this dlc a second time once I complete it.

My advice if you are thinking of getting this dlc is to wait for the price to drop, it is not worth €14.99.

I think you will change your mind once you play the other 50%

This game needs to be played on survivor also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Even though I get this with the season pass I would have had absolutely no problem paying 15 euro for it, the same way I'd no issue paying that for the likes of Journey and Brothers.

Quality over quantity every time for me.

On the DLC, I really loved it. Naughty Dog are just such a great company at keeping a secret.

In this case
    the dlc not being a prequel and going back and forth between the main campaign and the time spent with Riley.
    Great shout by whoever said they thought Ellie was a lesbian. In Left Behind you could always see they were close and then we knew there was something during and after the photobooth scene. That said I would say it's more so experimenting then anything else. After all she is a young girl with only one real friend who could be gone from her life completely if Riley had joined with the Fireflys

The exploration was amazing with Riley.
    Smashing car windows, putting on masks and personal highlight being the water fight.. were all just wonderful experiences
    As for the current timeline.. more of the same goodness really. Adding the infected and human characters together is something I want to see a lot more of and I'm sure we will if there is a sequel.

As with the main campaign, finding the other survivors audio logs, notes etc was great again.. there is just such a high standard of story telling in the game. They all carry some emotional feeling. The one I really liked was
    the note on Ellie crying.. I just found that one really sad.

So that's pretty much all I've got to say. Loved the dlc, personally thought it was well worth visiting the TLOU universe again.

I'll probably be on for more multiplayer tonight if anyone is on again. Just send me a PM here if I'm not online or just message me on the PSN.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Now 69% and about 13 hours into the main story, I've never been a big zombie game fan, but liking this very much. Ellie shouting stuff and running about while sneaking and generally getting in the way can be annoying at times, but it's no game breaker. Bill charging around like an elephant did make me laugh..

Enjoying the story so far although getting a little sick of clickers now :P

its going to be tough to trade in this game,completed it 4 times and on 3rd and final run on the dlc,its going to be long wait for the the sequel i feel

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Watched the DLC on youtube,excellent stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

played a bit of this (the dlc) on Saturday
    story is wonderful so far
    naughty dog I'm in awe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

completed the main story yesterday evening and I'm still sad that the story is over. Never has a game affected me like this before! I probably will get the DLC and play the game through harder difficulties but knowing I won't experience the story for the first time again is kind of upsetting :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I had forgotten how terrifying the sound of a clicker was.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Backfire

Just finished the dlc in a single sitting so its short like everyone is saying.

And my theory on ellie is true. It was discussed in this thread a good while ago. (Trying not to give away any spoilers as most reading this wont have a clue what i am on about :) )

Edit: i took my time through the dlc and died a few times, took me 2hrs 45mins to complete.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

Around what exact size is the full game download from PSN. I haven't played it yet, have tried to stay away from spoilers as much as I can and with it only being €27 it seems an easy purchase decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,885 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Around what exact size is the full game download from PSN. I haven't played it yet, have tried to stay away from spoilers as much as I can and with it only being €27 it seems an easy purchase decision.

It does seem an easy purchase decision if you have good broadband. It's 37gb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

I've played through Left Behind a few times and the scene with this song gets me every time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

Evade wrote: »
    I've played through Left Behind a few times and the scene with this song gets me every time.

Remind me, what scene was it again?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

mystic86 wrote: »
    Remind me, what scene was it again?
    When Riley puts the tape in the music player and they start dancing...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭jones

Ha I recognised the song but couldn't for the life of me think what part it was in the last of us

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

It is a nice distraction

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Held off buying this as long as possible as didn't want to be let down... $100 to buy new. Cheapest second hand I seen was $70.

Bought it on PS store for $35 so not a bad price if I'm gonna be let down.

irishmover wrote: »
    Held off buying this as long as possible as didn't want to be let down... $100 to buy new. Cheapest second hand I seen was $70.

Bought it on PS store for $35 so not a bad price if I'm gonna be let down.

You wont be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

You wont be

Not a survival horror enthusiast though. I think Resident evil scared the **** outa me when I was a kid so have kept a distance since.

Not ashamed to admit that either!

irishmover wrote: »
    Not a survival horror enthusiast though. I think Resident evil scared the **** outa me when I was a kid so have kept a distance since.

Not ashamed to admit that either!

Im not either but this blew game blew me away.

Christ i remember being sh*t scared playing Dino Crisis on the PS1:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Im not either but this blew game blew me away.

Christ i remember being sh*t scared playing Dino Crisis on the PS1:pac:

Ah hear that was nothing to be ashamed of. That T-Rex.

I wouldn't really class TLOU as a survival horror. There's nothing that scary to it........ no, wait Clickers and Survivor mode!!!!
    If really faint hearted I would just play it on easy. The storyline is worth it.

Advertisement