Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

krudler wrote: »
    Is the DLC worth getting?

No.

There's what feels like about 15 minutes of actual playtime in it, the rest is set pieces and cut scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

If you liked the game, its absolutely worth getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

penev10 wrote: »
    OK once the survival horror kicks in its a lot better. Some good bits escaping from the ruined office block. Am warming to this now.

There are some pretty tense setpieces in parts of it, it's the combat I could have done with less of in the game tbh, I always enjoyed getting around and becoming closer to Ellie and interacting with the environment and characters more than the same arrive in area, clear bad guys out, rinse and repeat aspects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Randomfriend

Kirby wrote: »
    If you liked the game, its absolutely worth getting.

I watched it online, don't regret doing that instead of buying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

No.

There's what feels like about 15 minutes of actual playtime in it, the rest is set pieces and cut scenes.

Just so you know. This isn't true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

I watched it online, don't regret doing that instead of buying.

I've never done this, but I can't imagine it provides anywhere near the same amount of experience that playing it yourself provides.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

krudler wrote: »
    There are some pretty tense setpieces in parts of it, it's the combat I could have done with less of in the game tbh.

I'm hoping there's less and less soldier bits. The stealth is done well and at least you have the option to leg it but the shoot outs get tiresome quickly. Was never a huge fan of Uncharted's bullet-sponge enemies.

Am enjoying it more the more I play. The crafting and modding give you actual motivation to explore rather than the pure trophy hunting in Uncharted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

The tragedy of the combat in the Last of Us is that you as a player only really become proficient towards the end. I've played it myself and watched 4 others complete playthrough's and was true in all of them. People tend to have a lot more joy the second time round.

The fumbling at the start versus the efficiency at the end. Players just forget or never discover techniques. Throwing bricks/bottles to attract groups and then lobbing a Molotov. Throwing bricks/bottles at enemies and then sprint towards them. Get their quick and it's still a silent takedown them. Grappling enemies and using them as human shields while you shoot their allies is a really cool one that nobody ever uses.

Stuff like that. The majority of players just try to sneak around, kill one guy, get spotted and then just try and gears of war cover shoot the rest of the room.

To me, the combat in the last of us was pretty great. It's the player that usually lets it down. It's all too common in todays games for people to mistake "I am bad at combat" with "This combat is bad". The last of us definitely falls into this category.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

the bow and arrow has to be the best weapon in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I'm one of those guys that hasn't played or seen virtually a minute of this :eek:. I obviously will, having not been doing much gaming the last couple of years.

What I find astounding is just the level of praise, so many people say best game of generation/ever, so many people say they got emotionally involved like never before. Just have to choose a time then BAM

I got it over Xmas and only fired it up for the first time last night. Im about 2 hours in. Have to say you can clearly see even from that early stage why it got such praise for the writing. That opening is film quality and really hooks you in straight away. You don't dont glaze over like you often do with Uncharted, waiting for the characters to stop blabbling and wise cracking before you can start playing, this really holds your attention. I know I'm going to love this bigtime. Think I'll attack it in 2 hour nightly stints for the next week or two and really savour it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

The majority of players just try to sneak around, kill one guy, get spotted and then just try and gears of war cover shoot the rest of the room.
    Yeah I quickly figured you wont get anywhere trying to shoot your way out!

Found the human shield invaluable and just legged it in my encounters with soldiers so far. Am just so sick of shooting soldiers in games in general that I'd rather they'd leave that dynamic out of it.

I suppose it does mix things up a bit but when the first few hours were mainly dealing with soldiers and not the far more interesting infected/stealth gameplay I just got the hump with it.

I've never done this, but I can't imagine it provides anywhere near the same amount of experience that playing it yourself provides.

I played the whole game, you need to play the main story yourself, but the DLC is fine to watch, it's a rake of cut scenes with a tiny bit of exploring and fighting. I generally only watch lets play type videos after I've played a game myself, but in the case of the DLC it totally isn't worth paying the money for it, and I'm personally glad I just watched it instead. It's well worth seeing (experiencing it) but screw paying such a large fee for such a small portion of actual gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I played the whole game, you need to play the main story yourself, but the DLC is fine to watch, it's a rake of cut scenes with a tiny bit of exploring and fighting. I generally only watch lets play type videos after I've played a game myself, but in the case of the DLC it totally isn't worth paying the money for it, and I'm personally glad I just watched it instead. It's well worth seeing (experiencing it) but screw paying such a large fee for such a small portion of actual gameplay.

It may slightly more story focused with the cut scenes but it's still similar in cut scene/gameplay ratio as in the main game. 2-3 hours of gameplay that are well worth it.

The whole DLC is about 2, maybe 2.5 hours long if you explore a hell of a lot, but maybe your and my definition of game play are different. I wouldn't count the cut scenes.

I'm not telling others not to buy it per se. If you're a completionists and can easily afford it etc, but there's plenty of people who might be on the fence as regards buying it, my advice would be, if it's not something you really want, don't bother, just watch it. ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

I'm not telling others not to buy it per se. If you're a completionists and can easily afford it etc, but there's plenty of people who might be on the fence as regards buying it, my advice would be, if it's not something you really want, don't bother, just watch it. ^^

I completely disagree.

If someone thinks its too expensive etc that is fine. But there is no way I'd recommend them to just watch it.

If you are one of those people, wait for a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

bought the game in the sale finished it last night. Great game...dunno about 15 quid for ellies backstory though

Well, yeah sure, if you want to wait, but that's not something I was willing to do.

I'm sure there's plenty of people who strongly believe both viewpoints, so for those on the fence, just do what is best for you, I'm not trying to be biased against it, because I loved the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The Grounded documentary, about the making of The Last of Us, has been made available for free on Youtube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

The tragedy of the combat in the Last of Us is that you as a player only really become proficient towards the end. I've played it myself and watched 4 others complete playthrough's and was true in all of them. People tend to have a lot more joy the second time round.

The fumbling at the start versus the efficiency at the end. Players just forget or never discover techniques. Throwing bricks/bottles to attract groups and then lobbing a Molotov. Throwing bricks/bottles at enemies and then sprint towards them. Get their quick and it's still a silent takedown them. Grappling enemies and using them as human shields while you shoot their allies is a really cool one that nobody ever uses.

Stuff like that. The majority of players just try to sneak around, kill one guy, get spotted and then just try and gears of war cover shoot the rest of the room.

To me, the combat in the last of us was pretty great. It's the player that usually lets it down. It's all too common in todays games for people to mistake "I am bad at combat" with "This combat is bad". The last of us definitely falls into this category.

This post is great and really helped when I started playing it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Finished the game earlier. Cracking game and delighted I got it as I wouldn't class it as Survival horror which was holding me back from getting it. Probably should have played on harder than easy as it was very easy. Didn't play it for a challenge though.
    Not sure about the ending. It left it open for a second one though.

Will wait a few days/week before getting Left Behind. Will let the game sink in first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Think the great thing about the first time you play it is the fact you really don't know if
    the characters will survive
    When
    Joel got badly injured at the university :eek:
    I found it very very
    tense in the hospital at the end
    Loved the way it ended.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

The Left Behind part of the Grounded documentary is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Finished the DLC, thought it was brilliant. Wasn't disappointed with the length of it, got a good three hours out of it since I search every nook and cranny for items and collectables.

"Don't go..." Oh this game brings the feels :(.

• Some news on a new single player difficulty setting and upcoming DLC

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/02/28/the-last-of-us-third-dlc-will-add-new-single-player-difficulty

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

J. Marston wrote: »
    Finished the DLC, thought it was brilliant. Wasn't disappointed with the length of it, got a good three hours out of it since I search every nook and cranny for items and collectables.

"Don't go..." Oh this game brings the feels :(.

Fully agree, it was worth just for the
    non-action bits in my opinion, messing about in the shop and the photo-booth, the pun book, brillant!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,788 ✭✭✭Evade

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Some news on a new single player difficulty setting and upcoming DLC

http://www.gamezone.com/news/2014/02/28/the-last-of-us-third-dlc-will-add-new-single-player-difficulty
    More difficult? There's going to a few hair tearingly difficult sections if so.
    Benzino wrote: »
    non-action bits in my opinion, messing about in the shop and the photo-booth, the pun book, brillant!
    Skeleseer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Benzino wrote: »

Yeah, definitely. My favourite bit of messing around is...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

irishmover wrote: »
    Finished the game earlier. Cracking game and delighted I got it as I wouldn't class it as Survival horror which was holding me back from getting it. Probably should have played on harder than easy as it was very easy. Didn't play it for a challenge though.
    Not sure about the ending. It left it open for a second one though.

Will wait a few days/week before getting Left Behind. Will let the game sink in first!

Decided to replay it myself on very easy mode just to get through the story, not arsed about the combat parts I just wanted the moments again, I'd forgotten a lot of it, best part of the game for me was the
    campus and then Ellie in the woods after Joel gets injured

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

Finished the main story yesterday evening. Bloody hell.

Regarding the 10/10 scores, I would have to say I agree. I feel it is one of those games where the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts. Yes the control mechanics could have been better, and the combat could have been more fluid but taking everything into account, the storyline, character development and interaction, dialogue, graphics (on the PS3) are in my opinion without peers.

I felt the actions of each character were true and believable given their own personal backstory and the situation at hand. The development of Joel was intriguing but the whole character of Ellie and how she remains likeable from the start was a masterpiece. I find it quite rare to care for a child character in a game/TV show/film as the mostly just annoy me*, but Naughty Dog somehow have pulled it off.

*Carl from The Walking Dead anyone?

During the play-through I kept promising myself I would stop after the next save point but I just couldn't. Very rarely has a game done that. It was a fairly intense experience though. I'm not sure whether I would use the word 'fun' to describe it. It probably didn't help matters that I completely forgot to use the listen ability throughout the whole bloody thing! In retrospect maybe using it would have diluted the experience somewhat. I had to play a half-hour session of Mario Galaxy after most sessions as my 'come-down' :p.

The ending, while polarising, was wonderful and thought provoking. There were a couple of times previous where I thought 'if it ends here it will be perfect', notably [spoilers]This Scene.

I hope that if there is a sequel they explore new characters and leave this story as it is. No more needs to be said.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Fakman87

Finished this for the second time today.

I think the only games I've ever completed twice are Oblivion, Metal Gear Solid 2 and Ocarina of Time.

I really think this will prove to be a breakthrough moment for video games.

Advertisement