Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

I'd prefer if they upped the effects and lock it at 30. Make it look next gen.

Next gen giraffes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

tok9 wrote: »
    From what I've seen it still goes for about £20/€30 new so an upgrade of £15/€20 seems reasonable to me.

Even thinking about it.. you couldn't imagine it's been in development for a very long time.. it just seems wrong to charge pay full price after already buying it.
    Fixed that ;)

Remember, there'll be a decent number of gamers who have gone with the PS4 this generation after having a 360 last gen so this will be their first time playing it. They'll be the sales that Sony won't want to affect by having a new PS3 copy plus upgrade cost be lower than a new PS4 retail copy.

As for the amount of work that's gone into it, well between some tidbits of info that came up in the recent talk by Jason Gregory at GDC on life at Naughty Dog, the fact that the game looked the way it did on the PS3 (read: optimised to holy hell for the platform architecture) and the fact that it's going to be outputting 1080p and even considering 60fps, I'd imagine there's been a lot. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

gizmo wrote: »
    Fixed that ;)

Remember, there'll be a decent number of gamers who have gone with the PS4 this generation after having a 360 last gen so this will be their first time playing it. They'll be the sales that Sony won't want to affect by having a new PS3 copy plus upgrade cost be lower than a new PS4 retail copy.

As for the amount of work that's gone into it, well between some tidbits of info that came up in the recent talk by Jason Gregory at GDC on life at Naughty Dog, the fact that the game looked the way it did on the PS3 (read: optimised to holy hell for the platform architecture) and the fact that it's going to be outputting 1080p and even considering 60fps, I'd imagine there's been a lot. :)

I still think even with that it's an extra sale they wouldn't have got.

If someone does do that, it's still making another 40 - 45 euro for ND

I think they will have some system.. really.

I still think even with that it's an extra sale they wouldn't have got.

If someone does do that, it's still making another 40 - 45 euro for ND

I think they will have some system.. really.
    You're wildly overestimating the amount of money Sony get from each sale there. :o

But that's besides the point, either way it'd certainly be nice if they offered some kind of discount for those willing to double dip but we're talking about a year and a half old game which would make exchanges via retailers far more difficult when compared to something like CoD:Ghosts which had a cut off point of a month or so. Looking at US prices at least, you'd be talking a $10 rebate or something being the most likely offering.

• Advertisement

If the likes of ACIV, BF4 etc were able to have an upgrade I don't see why it'd be any different for this.

People complained about Tomb Raider and even that was under the RRP.. think it was aroun 40 euro right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

If the likes of ACIV, BF4 etc were able to have an upgrade I don't see why it'd be any different for this.

People complained about Tomb Raider and even that was under the RRP.. think it was aroun 40 euro right?

Tombraider was €60 at retail. And those we're launch games. And no significant upgrades from ps3 to ps4 except graphically.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Tombraider was €60 at retail. And those we're launch games. And no significant upgrades from ps3 to ps4 except graphically.

There was a pretty significant difference in what Battlefield offered over the PS3 version even if it was broken as hell. A lot of people tell me there is a big difference in Fifa also but I wouldn't know to be honest.

I'll be disappointed if there isn't some discount. It just shows a lack of appreciation to the fans imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

There was a pretty significant difference in what Battlefield offered over the PS3 version even if it was broken as hell. A lot of people tell me there is a big difference in Fifa also but I wouldn't know to be honest.

I'll be disappointed if there isn't some discount. It just shows a lack of appreciation to the fans imo.

If you think it's too expensive, just don't make it a day one purchase and wait for it to be in a sale. It's not like you haven't played it already and it has already been on sale twice on the store since Christmas.

But that's not really the point I'm making.

A lot of people complain about the prices of games and no one seems to have an issue with this being full priced for what could essentially be a better looking game with the season pass and has taken roughly a 3rd or 4th of the amount of time to make as the original game.

As a fan of Naughty dog, it's going to leave a sour taste if there isn't a discount.

• Advertisement

But that's not really the point I'm making.

A lot of people complain about the prices of games and no one seems to have an issue with this being full priced for what could essentially be a better looking game with the season pass and has taken roughly a 3rd or 4th of the amount of time to make as the original game.

As a fan of Naughty dog, it's going to leave a sour taste if there isn't a discount.

The simple fact of the matter is that most companies are going to try and maximise the profit they get from their games and I'm sure plenty of market research will have been done before deciding what format the game takes and what people are willing to pay for it. If you're not happy with that, vote with your wallet and don't buy the game. If enough people do, they'll realise their mistake. But I'm guessing from what I've read online, there's going to be plenty of people that will be willing to pay full whack for it. Sure, they'll be a fair few people that'll be pissed off by it but I guessing (I could be wrong) that they'll be in minority.

I'm extremely tempted too.. but it's a bad precedent is all.

We could be seeing a lot of early remasters instead of new content for the PS4.

Probably taking this thread off topic really so I'll drop it anyway.

Still looking forward to more information on the PS4 edition.

Also if anyone wants to play MP let me know.. as I haven't played in a while. Was hoping to get some info on the DLC at this stage.

I'm extremely tempted too.. but it's a bad precedent is all.

We could be seeing a lot of early remasters instead of new content for the PS4.

Probably taking this thread off topic really so I'll drop it anyway.

Still looking forward to more information on the PS4 edition.

Also if anyone wants to play MP let me know.. as I haven't played in a while. Was hoping to get some info on the DLC at this stage.

But wasn't there a load of them when the switch over happened from the PS2 to PS3? There's a few fair HD collections out there.

I keep meaning to try out the multiplayer but I have an ever expanding backlog of games to get through that taunt me anytime I turn on the console…

As I said above, in these cases the cut off date for the upgrade program was approximately three months after the release of the respective titles. They also came with a code in the box which enabled the upgrade. As an aside, the timing of the program also meant that on the retailer side it allowed the traded in copies to be resold while the game was still fresh in peoples minds and selling well in the second hand market.

On the digital side, it also relieved the sting of paying full RRP on PSN et al. The upgrade discount in the case of Sony was also $10 which covered the difference between a new copy of the last gen version and the next gen version, prices which were still relevant during the period the promotion was active.

The Last of Us Remastered isn't due out until the end of this year which will be close to a year and a half after release. In this case none of the above will really apply.

That's where my doubts over such a scheme being run lie. If they do it, fantastic, I'll be taking advantage of such a scheme myself. But if they won't I'll be happy to hold off a bit, enjoy the other games on the platform and revisit the game when I don't mind double dipping. Either way, I won't be shaking my fists at rage over the perceived lack of respect it's showing me as a fan. :)
    Just because a lot of people complain about it doesn't make it any more relevant. The costs involved in creating a game like The Last of Us are phenomenal, I mean look at the credits section to see just how many people worked on it, not only within Naughty Dog but externally too, from the gazillion art contractors to the reams of motion capture folk and the voice actors involved. The pricing in this instance is only an issue if you've already bought the game at full whack, there'll be plenty of folk who will be experiencing it for the first time and for them, I can't see it being anything less than worth every penny when they get around to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

If this increased revenue will be used to develop new IP's from Naughty Dog then I'm all for it. Think of it like investing in future development of games by them.

On the digital side, it also relieved the sting of paying full RRP on PSN et al. The upgrade discount in the case of Sony was also $10 which covered the difference between a new copy of the last gen version and the next gen version, prices which were still relevant during the period the promotion was active.

I bought AC4 for 30 euro on PSN and another 10 after which saved me 20 euro off it. The exact same deal was in place for BF4 during the promotion window. So in that case these launch upgrade games were not covering the cost.
    The Last of Us Remastered isn't due out until the end of this year which will be close to a year and a half after release. In this case none of the above will really apply.

It's out this summer so more than likely it'll be exactly a year.

Just because a lot of people complain about it doesn't make it any more relevant. The costs involved in creating a game like The Last of Us are phenomenal, I mean look at the credits section to see just how many people worked on it, not only within Naughty Dog but externally too, from the gazillion art contractors to the reams of motion capture folk and the voice actors involved. The pricing in this instance is only an issue if you've already bought the game at full whack, there'll be plenty of folk who will be experiencing it for the first time and for them, I can't see it being anything less than worth every penny when they get around to it.

Yes I've absolutely no issue with a first time buyer purchasing the game for full price like I've done with several titles that weren't on the platform I owned but were then released at full price.

But wasn't there a load of them when the switch over happened from the PS2 to PS3? There's a few fair HD collections out there.

I keep meaning to try out the multiplayer but I have an ever expanding backlog of games to get through that taunt me anytime I turn on the console…

Ya there were but I think it took a good few years before we saw collections. They were also reasonably priced. Like Ico & Shadow of the Colossus were 40 euro RRP. Think the MGS collection was 30.

The multiplayer is so damn good. I really hope the PS4 release will help it more.

I bought AC4 for 30 euro on PSN and another 10 after which saved me 20 euro off it. The exact same deal was in place for BF4 during the promotion window. So in that case these launch upgrade games were not covering the cost.
    Was it on promotion at the time because it's still coming up as $59.99 on the SEN store now? :confused:
    It's out this summer so more than likely it'll be exactly a year.
    Indeed it is, Amazon are still listing December which is why I said a year and a half, odd. Regardless the points raised still remain whether it's twelve or eighteen months.

Was it on promotion at the time because it's still coming up as $59.99 on the SEN store now? :confused:

Indeed it is, Amazon are still listing December which is why I said a year and a half, odd. Regardless the points raised still remain whether it's twelve or eighteen months.

Ya it was a promotion for the ps3 version.

Ya it was a promotion for the ps3 version.
    Ah, nice. Most of the pricing I've seen for launch games, regardless of whether they were in the various upgrade deals, has had the next-gen version be exactly $10 more.

Gamestop US are amusingly still charging $59.99 for Black Flag on the PS4 whereas the PS3 version has dropped to $29.99. Jesus. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭TheGoldenAges

You wonder how much work is being done on the new Uncharted game if they've been concentrating on the DLC and the remake of TLOU, somehow doubt we'll see a 2015 release now.

They're not forcing you to buy it.

You bought the PS3 version, so play it.

You didn't buy the the right to play the PS4 version. If I remember correctly, age of empires 2 HD came out last year. I own that original game. I didn't receive any sort of upgrade option either.

They've put a years work into porting the game, they should be compensated for it, too.
    The game isn't meant for people like us, we've already played it. It's for people who missed out on it by not owning a PS3. I love the game, so I've come to the conclusion that it's worth it to me, even at €60, because I know I'll get my money's worth it with the MP and all.

I guess that means the game is really only aimed at people who missed it, or are big enough fans to double dip.

If you don't feel it's worth it, you can always play your PS3 version and can wait for it to drop in price.

You wonder how much work is being done on the new Uncharted game if they've been concentrating on the DLC and the remake of TLOU, somehow doubt we'll see a 2015 release now.
    Naughty Dog have two internal teams for development as well as the separate core technology team for Sony Worldwide studios called the ICE Team. I'm sure work is progressing just fine on UC4. :)

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    They're not forcing you to buy it.

You bought the PS3 version, so play it.

You didn't buy the the right to play the PS4 version. If I remember correctly, age of empires 2 HD came out last year. I own that original game. I didn't receive any sort of upgrade option either.

They've put a years work into porting the game, they should be compensated for it, too.

Right this is the last time I mention about a possible upgrade/discount.

All I'm saying is I will be disappointed if there isn't something there.

I know I'm not being forced to buy it and I'm not saying I won't buy it at launch either as it's already the next ps4 game I'm looking forward to (unless we get some word on The Witness!)

So I'm waiting to hear more on the game.

I really hope they use the touchpad to cycle through weapons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I imagine trying to sort out a system of discounts would be more effort than it's worth for ND. I think they expect most of the customers to be people who didn't have a PS3 and never played the game last year.

Also, why are people tossing around €60 prices like they're set in stone? Shop around and you'll find it cheaper. Wait a few months and it'll get cheaper too, it's not like you really need a game you already finished on opening day. The original was supposed to be €60, I got it the day before launch for €50.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Right this is the last time I mention about a possible upgrade/discount.

All I'm saying is I will be disappointed if there isn't something there.

I know I'm not being forced to buy it and I'm not saying I won't buy it at launch either as it's already the next ps4 game I'm looking forward to (unless we get some word on The Witness!)

So I'm waiting to hear more on the game.

I really hope they use the touchpad to cycle through weapons.

I would expect it to be fairly priced at around the €40-45 mark, you are still getting a really good game but it is one people will already own.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

As I said above, in these cases the cut off date for the upgrade program was approximately three months after the release of the respective titles. They also came with a code in the box which enabled the upgrade. As an aside, the timing of the program also meant that on the retailer side it allowed the traded in copies to be resold while the game was still fresh in peoples minds and selling well in the second hand market.

That's where my doubts over such a scheme being run lie. If they do it, fantastic, I'll be taking advantage of such a scheme myself. But if they won't I'll be happy to hold off a bit, enjoy the other games on the platform and revisit the game when I don't mind double dipping. Either way, I won't be shaking my fists at rage over the perceived lack of respect it's showing me as a fan. :)

Yep, as I said earlier, I have no problem giving them my money again. I'll enjoy replaying it with improved graphics and it means they get more money to make great titles like it, all the better.

Trailer for the remastered version is out. Word of warning for those who haven't played the game yet, avoid it. There's a rather awful scene spoiler within. :(

Trailer for the remastered version is out. Word of warning for those who haven't played the game yet, avoid it. There's a rather awful scene spoiler within. :(

Doesn't look all that advanced to me. Will hold judgement until I see gameplay, though.

• Advertisement

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Doesn't look all that advanced to me. Will hold judgement until I see gameplay, though.
    Did you watch the video in a small window at 480p? :pac:

Advertisement