Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last of Us

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I don't get it, the motion capture is the same but the scene is different

They said they're pushing the draw distance as well as the frame rate and all so they're probably tweaking some of the bigger scenes to flaunt the new possibilities?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Bout time we are getting something!

It'll be interesting to see what other scenes they altar.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

All the cutscenes were prerendered (in engine but were still video) on the PS3 anyway. I'd rather see some in game footage for a real comparison.

• Retr0gamer wrote: »
    All the cutscenes were prerendered (in engine but were still video) on the PS3 anyway. I'd rather see some in game footage for a real comparison.

Agree, ND being cagey I want to see actual gameplay, resolution and frames per sec. If I'm buying the game for a 2nd time it needs to be justified.

• I also want to know what's the story with trophies, multiplayer progress etc.. I want to be able to start from the beginning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭Kerplunk124

I also want to know what's the story with trophies, multiplayer progress etc.. I want to be able to start from the beginning

As for trophies i'm pretty sure they'll have it separate for the PS4. I played Fifa 14 on the PS3 before i got it on PS4 and they are both counted as separate on my trophy list. Not sure about multiplayer progress though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Naughty Dog has revealed during a presentation what improvements the Remastered version of The Last of Us has compared to the PS3 version.

Acording to photos from the presentation, posted by MeriStation journalist Javi Andres on his twitter feed, The Last of Us Remastered has the following graphical improvements:

1080p/60fps in single-player and multiplayer
    Texture maps are 4x more detailed, shadow maps 2x
    Higher resolution particle effects
    Occlusion mapping of decals
    No texture streaming
    Longer draw distances, better LOD
    But that is not all. Along with these graphical improvements come some other new features:

Additional Audio options
    Lock frame rate at 30 fps
    Swap trigger and thumbstick controls
    Support for DualShock 4′s touchpad, light bar and speaker
    A slide from the presentation confirms exactly what additional content is included on the game disc:

Abandoned Territories MP DLC
    Reclaimed Territories MP DLC
    Left Behind SP DLC
    Grounded difficulty setting
    Cinematics commentary track with Neil Druckmann, Troy Backer and Ashley Johnson
    It also confirms that all DLC from the PS3 version is cross-buy, meaning that those who have bought it will be able to access it on their PS4. There is also some new DLC, most likely multiplayer focused, set to be released this year.

The trophies will definitely be separate.

In that case I think I'm better getting the european version. Maybe the season pass will work with whatever new dlc is planned.

Game Informers Hand's on

Edit: Some important bits -
    The first thing you’re likely to notice is the visual upgrade from 720p and 30 frames per second to 1080p and 60 frames per second (though you can lock things down at 30 FPS should you choose). Naughty Dog tells us that character textures have been increased by a factor of four, shadows have been doubled (along with a new lighting process), and draw distance is noticeably better.

Motion blur when turning the camera (used to hide slower loading textures) has been significantly reduced, but not eliminated. The game’s gritty, destroyed environments look crisper, which was even more pronounced in the side-by-side comparison. It looks spectacular.
    The touchpad button is used to open Joel’s backpack now, but the biggest change is the speaker. The controller will now play the click of the flashlight and audio recordings you find around the world. No longer will you have to stay in the menu to listen to them. They’ll continue playing from your controller while you continue with the game.

I've been hoping for all of the above.. delighted
    Saves won’t carry over to the Remastered version, and this includes your progress in Factions mode. However, if you played the PS3 version of the multiplayer at all, you’ll get a supply point bonus to help get you started.
    The Remastered edition will have its own trophy set, so if you are angling to add to your Platinum collection, you can double up on The Last of Us. The trophies are identical to the PS3 original.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

Why would you want to lock it at 30 if it's capable of 60?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

It more than likely isn't locked to 60FPS and some people prefer a stable framerate at a lower level compared to a variable framerate at a higher one.

Until there is proper analysis done, we won't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

Some people prefer 30fps for games like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Hmmm Trophies...Awesome!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Some people prefer 30fps for games like this.

Some people are clearly idiots :pac:

And some screenshots here

PS Blog Screenshots

• Some people are clearly idiots :pac:

Bit of a harsh post. Nobody knows yet how the FPS may effect the actual gameplay in this case of TLOU.

Typically this would be played at a slow pace, (in my opinion and experience).

60fps will aid to possibly increase the response times of the player and may in turn inadvertently change the way game plays out in any particular section.

Might have an effect on game balancing is what I'm getting at.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I honestly can't wait for this, easily one of the best games ive ever played....

I never pre ordered a game in my life and went and pre ordered this and Destiny, I have both payed off already... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Bit of a harsh post. Nobody knows yet how the FPS may effect the actual gameplay in this case of TLOU.

60fps will aid to possibly increase the response times of the player and may in turn inadvertently change the way game plays out in any particular section.

It's said with a tongue in a cheek. I understand saying that someone does not mind 30fps over 60fps and can live with that, but saying that they prefer 30fps and it's better ( even saying in some cases) is just plain wrong.

It's like saying: you know what, I don't want a full and healthy erection, I want it only to be half erected as it's better.

For me 60fps is not something I look for in TLOU, but I will take it with a big smile on my face if devs can give it.
    As much as compromises go, in game like TLOU, I would take 30fps and increased eyecandy, Then 60fps, but that does not read as 30fps is better.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,415 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's no real case to be made for 30 FPS. 60 FPS games just paly a hell of a lot better with much better feel and response. 60 FPS is far better, that's a simple fact.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    There's no real case to be made for 30 FPS. 60 FPS games just paly a hell of a lot better with much better feel and response. 60 FPS is far better, that's a simple fact.

Would it make a difference in terms of motion blur?

• Advertisement

Well Neil Druckmann said on Twitter they included it because some asked for it, but he thinks 60FPS is the way to go and he's right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Klair88 wrote: »
    Well Neil Druckmann said on Twitter they included it because some asked for it, but he thinks 60FPS is the way to go and he's right.

I wonder is it something that will be made available to more games? Just a quick googling sees there's some debating on the issue with people stating a preference for 30fps because they feel it's more cinematic… a debate that seems to be mirrored a bit in filmmaking with 24/48fps.

I wonder is it something that will be made available to more games? Just a quick googling sees there's some debating on the issue with people stating a preference for 30fps because they feel it's more cinematic… a debate that seems to be mirrored a bit in filmmaking with 24/48fps.

Good few games have it, its called V-Sync a lot of the time. DC universe immediately comes to mind. Personally, i see a huge difference in 60FPS but 30FPS can be great too! Like ACIV, inFamous SS and other open-world games if they're at a solid 30FPS and not variable. I think all games should aim for 60FPS+, especially First person shooters & racing games but i never let those kind of details stop me playing a great game!

I remember playing Borderlands 2 on PS3 with Varik a few months ago and we were getting about 20-25FPS but still loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

The framerate debate can get a little tiresome but I'm not afraid to put my oar in!

60FPS is better than 30FPS as it not only looks visually better but can also improve gameplay by reducing the lag between an input on the controller and a reaction on the screen.

HOWEVER that does not mean it is the best choice for every game. In the console market, developers are dealing with a fixed amount of power they can utilise. During development, they have to prioritse what they want more and often times, a decision is made that framerate stability can be sacrificed for increased visual fidelity (look at DRIVECLUB as an example here). Another option is to stick with a lower framerate for aesthetic purposes, as a framerate closer to 30FPS will look more like a traditional movie (see The Order 1886).

IMO developers should choose whichever framerate they feel is appropriate for their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭macpac26

Its great they have given the option for folk who prefer 30 frames. Oh and photo mode FTW!

Would it make a difference in terms of motion blur?

Motion Blur is mostly employed by games to cover up a 30 FPS framerate which is very noticeable when the camera spins fast and can sometimes disguise tearing which usually happens in these instances. There's really no need for motion blurring in a solid 60 FPS game although a little can help aesthetically, although a lot of people hate it. For 30 FPS games a lot of developers really smoother it on to cover it up.
    Otacon wrote: »
    The framerate debate can get a little tiresome but I'm not afraid to put my oar in!

60FPS is better than 30FPS as it not only looks visually better but can also improve gameplay by reducing the lag between an input on the controller and a reaction on the screen.

HOWEVER that does not mean it is the best choice for every game. In the console market, developers are dealing with a fixed amount of power they can utilise. During development, they have to prioritse what they want more and often times, a decision is made that framerate stability can be sacrificed for increased visual fidelity (look at DRIVECLUB as an example here). Another option is to stick with a lower framerate for aesthetic purposes, as a framerate closer to 30FPS will look more like a traditional movie (see The Order 1886).

IMO developers should choose whichever framerate they feel is appropriate for their game.

True on the underpowered consoles developers can squeeze out a hell of a lot more detail going to 30 FPS, just look at the lack of detail in something like MG Revengeance compared to a 30FPS game. As for the order sticking to 30 FPS for aesthetic purposes I'm going to call BS there. Perhaps lower framerates make films look more like films but for games 60 is always going to look better.

Still there's really no debate, 60 FPS makes a massive difference to how well a game plays.

Yeah im pumped for Photo mode. There's also an option to completely remove the HUD. It's gonna be so good!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

UPDATE: It has also been confirmed the European PS4 version will be censored to appease the German market. The PS3 version suffered the same fate and was missing some of the more gory animations.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2014/07/16/the-last-of-us-remastered-will-feature-photo-mode-30fps-lock-option-more-dlc/

:(

Only multiplayer is affected apparently but it's still very lazy of Sony not to offer Germany it's own version since smaller publishers do this.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Perhaps lower framerates make films look more like films but for games 60 is always going to look better.

60FPS has a very distinct look though, almost 'sped up' compared to video particularly. For action games or those requiring fast reflexes or refresh rates, the gulf between 30 and 60 is massive and pretty much always 60 is the best. However, I can see how in some (and I mean just some) games, particularly some with a more sombre or understated style, that a developer could for reasonable artistic reasons opt for 30 frames, even if there are no technical obstacles. The filmic look is a consideration, but I'd also suggest that in certain cases 30 FPS could be better suited to the pace and atmosphere of a title. It would be a rare game that would benefit in these ways, but I do think there is the possibility of exceptions.

To give one example, Tearaway is a game that uniquely benefits in one respect from a lower frame rate (I can't find any concrete info online on what it actually runs at, but it certainly feels like 30 FPS): there's a stop-motion aesthetic applied to movement and characters throughout, which is actually really charming and visually appropriate flourish that wouldn't in any meaningful way benefit from 60FPS. That's a very particular case, however.

Advertisement