Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

White Christmas 2011?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 1:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭

Howdy all.

I see a thread for last year alright http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=69746106 but none for this year unless I'm mistaken?

I know its a niche bet but has anyone fluttered? I took the advice of exacta weather last year and made the handsome sum of €35 on singles. This year, the 35 has gone on 7 Irish & UK cities and the resulting bonanza will be €190.

Getting close now but, as we all know, it only takes a wee flake in any of these cities and God knows the weather has been 100% flakey. It could do anything yet. My car battery died yesterday; I walked up to herselfs and it was 1C outside. We were out and about 2 hrs later and her car registered 7C. I checked Met.ie and it was approx 6-7C. With those kinds of weather changes, from polar to atlantic and back, snow is kinda likely.

Anyone bet yet? Or going to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

Don't PP always pay out whether it snows or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

okidoki987 wrote: »
    Don't PP always pay out whether it snows or not?

Always?

What size bet have you put on? Are you saying we should all be putting down 10-15 €50 singles..............?

ps snowing hard in Mountmellick right now

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭The Irish Riddler

A bit of snow fell this morning in Dublin CC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Derfil

Its meant to be very mild over Christmas week.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭whatsupdoc?

I think last year, it was only in certain places, probably the ones that they took the fewest number of bets on.
    Haven't seen any prices for this year yet, not much point in looking now though as it's ******* snow and there's only certain places they do it for.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The chances of snow falling this year are about 0% as things stand.

Still there. Great odds. http://www.paddypower.com/bet/novelty-betting/weather/white-christmas-2011/White-Christmas-3246364.html?force_racing_css=N

Not just Dublin. Many cities. Singles of course. And if you go by okidoki987's gilt-edge advice, then P Power is like Ango Irish Bank. You cannot lose, my friends! Get in there son !!!!

I think last year, it was only in certain places, probably the ones that they took the fewest number of bets on.
    Haven't seen any prices for this year yet, not much point in looking now though as it's ******* snow and there's only certain places they do it for.

Nope, they paid out on all of the Irish & UK cities I had chosen.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭paulb06

As far as I remember reading the T's & C's, for the bet to win, snow must fall on xmas day. Last year if I'm not mistaken, snow didn't fall but as there was already lying snow from the days before, PP decided to pay out.

mike65 wrote: »
    The chances of snow falling this year are about 0% as things stand.

Based on?

That's more than a bit loopy, sunshine, when I've said previously in the thread that its snowing this morning in Mountmellick, Tullamore and someone also said Dublin.

Please elaborate on your gambling system? The mind boggles. Is it quantum physics where you alter reality by observing it ??

• Advertisement

paulb06 wrote: »
    As far as I remember reading the T's & C's, for the bet to win, snow must fall on xmas day. Last year if I'm not mistaken, snow didn't fall but as there was already lying snow from the days before, PP decided to pay out.

Exactly. Just a flake. At each city's nominated location (largest internatational airport), between set hours. PP saw no snow in Cork or Dublin on Christmas day but they may have in Derry and Scotland and London, I can't recall. But they did pay out on those also, IIRC

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Based on?

That's more than a bit loopy, sunshine, when I've said previously in the thread that its snowing this morning in Mountmellick, Tullamore and someone also said Dublin.

Please elaborate on your gambling system? The mind boggles. Is it quantum physics where you alter reality by observing it ??

If the trend is confirmed below is the minimum temp on early Christmas and it'll only get milder during the day.

Rtavn28817.jpg

mike65 wrote: »
    If the trend is confirmed below is the minimum temp on early Christmas and it'll only get milder during the day.

Rtavn28817.jpg

Au contraire, fellow researcher. As I believe in the accurate infotrend as put forth by http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

I just drove from Mountmellick to Tullamore. The Slieve Blooms are snow white. At 567 metres, not exactly high mountains any more (oldest mountains in Europe though) but feckin covered in snow. so I would say bet away boys..... That's what betting's about isn't it?

It is

• Registered Users Posts: 10,622 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

8% in Dublin Christmas Day? :eek:

An Ri rua wrote: »
    Au contraire, fellow researcher. As I believe in the accurate infotrend as put forth by http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html

I just drove from Mountmellick to Tullamore. The Slieve Blooms are snow white. At 567 metres, not exactly high mountains any more (oldest mountains in Europe though) but feckin covered in snow. so I would say bet away boys..... That's what betting's about isn't it?

@Mike65, although your 0% probability was wrong, its now looking increasingly likely that I will be wrong also in my bets. So I'm getting ready to eat humble pie for Christmas Day as I'm not going to be so petty as to say you won't have been right overall :D

Still hoping it snows though; even if only in Derry and parts of Scotland. Those 4-1 and higher shots will pay off the 7 x €5 singles hopefully.

Unless of course the earlier theory is correct, that paddypower ALWAYS pays out.....Must tweet him to confirm and then put the savings on it... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 10,432 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ladbrokes offering 2/1 (from 20s) for it being the warmest Christmas Day on record. Looks like nobody will be seeing snow.

Ladbrokes offering 2/1 (from 20s) for it being the warmest Christmas Day on record. Looks like nobody will be seeing snow.

Nobody on the remaining cities on PaddyPower, I think http://www.paddypower.com/bet/weather/white-christmas-2011?ev_oc_grp_ids=551905

Cities such as Derry and scottish cities have been pulled. Although Belfast has gone to 9-1. I've backed a spread of singles, north to South across Ireland and UK. With luck it may end up just paying for the 7 x 5 singles. http://www.exactaweather.com/UK_Long_Range_Forecast.html Exacta weather are off this year but, in fairness, there's a vicious polar system lurking steadily just North. This mild weather is EXCEPTIONALLY mild as you have pointed out.

All hail @Mike65. Mea culpa.

Advertisement