Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room for Independent car garage in Wicklow town ????

• 13-12-2011 1:43am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭

Looking at the possibility of opening an independent car dealership in Wicklow town. I am looking for peoples opinions and their thoughts on it.

I will be supplying good value servicing, valeting etc as well as good quality used second hand cars.

There are main dealers in Wicklow but not many if any used car dealers within the town. Again there are tyre centres, main dealers service facilities but are there many independent service garages ?

Thanks in advance for opinions (all welcome)
    Also very open to peoples suggestions, needs, expectations etc

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I can think of two independent dealerships in Wicklow and Rathnew, and I'm not even from the area. Then there are a few branded dealerships, too, and a couple garages. You'd be hard pushed to do well in Wicklow town with a car dealership, the town is only so big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

We're only 9000 people (at most) and a hinterland of 3,000 more.

Agree with the previous poster, on top of the branded dealers, I can think of 2 at least private sellers with a lot more providing car servicing.

Rents are expensive too.

I wouldnt want to deter you of course, however I also think it would be an uphill struggle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

thanks for your opinions guys.
    I agree the town is limited in size but I do a lot of business in Dublin and that wont change. I am not worried about the main dealers to be honest as their prices cannot compete and their main focus is their own brand. The private sellers wouldnt be much of a concern as they will come and go.

The trend in buying has changed, most people now want a good reliable second hand with warranty and above all else value. Main dealers margins are so low now and they push their own brands so hard its hard to get value imo.

Anyway interesting thoughts guys and thanks again

Advertisement