Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Shops In Cork

Options
  • 13-12-2011 1:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭

1st time poster here :)
    Heading upto Cork city to do my xmas shopping over the weekend :)
    Can anyone name me some shops that have very good bargains or items on sale at great prices? :)
    Thanks
    pudz ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭ClimberC

I know someone will mention the english market :pac:

Depends on what your looking to buy and for whome. Boots is doing some pretty good deals this week.

As for bargains?? Pennys :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

The English market! ;)

or failing that just around the corner you will find the €2 shop. Oh and there are loads of outside markets stalls all down the Grand Parade. TK maxx is also good for stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

+1 on TK Maxx - they always have good quality stuff for cheap I find

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Thanks Guys!! :)
    Is TK MAXX hard to find or is it right in the center?
    Coming from Tipperary and only know how to get there but not my way around :) haha

I would suggest you park in Paul St. Carpark - pricewise it's quite good and it's central - you won't have to carry bags all day - you could pop up to the car, fire them in the boot and start again :)

http://g.co/maps/jqvw6

From the map here you can see how central it is - the car park is above the Paul St. Shopping centre - you'll need to go down Lavitts Quay to enter from that side though keep that in mind!

When you come out of the Shopping centre you take a right towards Corn Market St. and literally 15 seconds up the lane you can take a turn to the right to get into the complex where TK Maxx is upstairs.

Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement

PaulieC wrote: »
    I would suggest you park in Paul St. Carpark - pricewise it's quite good and it's central - you won't have to carry bags all day - you could pop up to the car, fire them in the boot and start again :)

http://g.co/maps/jqvw6

From the map here you can see how central it is - the car park is above the Paul St. Shopping centre - you'll need to go down Lavitts Quay to enter from that side though keep that in mind!

When you come out of the Shopping centre you take a right towards Corn Market St. and literally 15 seconds up the lane you can take a turn to the right to get into the complex where TK Maxx is upstairs.

Hope that helps :)

Wow thats more than helpful !! :P lol im sure al the cork people are very friendly and will point me in the right direction if im lost :P unlike tipp people :pac: they send u in the wrong direction for the laugh ha ha

If you're doing some shopping for yourself have a look on North Main Street, there are one or two clothes shops there catering for the younger gentleman.

RoverJames wrote: »
    If you're doing some shopping for yourself have a look on North Main Street, there are one or two clothes shops there catering for the younger gentleman.

thanks mate :) and everyone else !!

Ahm is there any estates i can park in that dont require tickets? Have to do my car tax online tomorrow and doubt il have my disc back by friday :s

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

pudzey101 wrote: »

Ahm is there any estates i can park in that dont require tickets? Have to do my car tax online tomorrow and doubt il have my disc back by friday :s

thanks

Park here if you don't want to pay for it and don't have tax. I'm bad at putting in links. Hope this works. http://maps.google.ie/maps?hl=en&tab=wl
    Link doesn't work for me, just park less than half a mile outside in any direction and you won't get clamped or ticketed or moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭donalh087

Have to do my car tax online tomorrow and doubt il have my disc back by friday :s

thanks

If you really intend to tax your car online then there is a receipt that you can print out and put it in your car until the disc comes.

• Advertisement

thanks

Coming from Tipp direction isn't conducive to free parking, that side of the city isn't well served by non disc parking areas close to the city. Your car would be fine without tax in any of the multi stories as traffic wardens don't patrol them, anywhere off street would be fine really.

Coming from Tipp direction isn't conducive to free parking, that side of the city isn't well served by non disc parking areas close to the city. Your car would be fine without tax in any of the multi stories as traffic wardens don't patrol them, anywhere off street would be fine really.

sure the wardens dont go into the multistories ? :) ^ i dont have a printer lol no point in paying for a parking ticket when im doing to get done with 60e no tax ticket anyway :D

Yep :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 276 ✭✭Rocky Bay

I urge you to remember two very important words..."Buy Irish" when shopping. Making purchases in shops such as Boots which is foreign owned and "Pound Shops" which are full of imported products does nothing to help a fellow Irish worker or the Irish economy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Rocky Bay wrote: »
    I urge you to remember two very important words..."Buy Irish" when shopping. Making purchases in shops such as Boots which is foreign owned and "Pound Shops" which are full of imported products does nothing to help a fellow Irish worker or the Irish economy.
    Are many of the employees in those places not 'Irish workers'?

Indeed, Boots employ lots of Irish folk, the stuff is delivered by Irish folk etc etc. It's not as if your local pharmacist sells Mach3 blades made in Killarney.

Namlub wrote: »
    Are many of the employees in those places not 'Irish workers'?
    Possibly. If you purchase products not made in Ireland who ever is behind the counter is immaterial. The profits generated by the products do not stay locally and do not stay in Ireland, they are transferred to the home country. And from what I have seen in Pound shops they are foreign countries.

Indeed, Boots employ lots of Irish folk, the stuff is delivered by Irish folk etc etc. It's not as if your local pharmacist sells Mach3 blades made in Killarney.
    No matter what you buy in Boots, whether it is an Irish product or not, the profits generated eventually wind up in the home country of Boots. If you buy from a locally owned or Irish owned chemist the profits stay local or at least in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

No matter what you buy in Boots, whether it is an Irish product or not, the profits generated eventually wind up in the home country of Boots. If you buy from a locally owned or Irish owned chemist the profits stay local or at least in Ireland.
    but boots still generate a lot for the irish economy, in terms of employment(not just in store but with delivery men etc.) and low prices compared to smaller pharmacies. money is tight at the moment so people want to spend as little as possible

Basic Economics - if Boots supplies a product for a price that is cheaper than other competition then as a consumer I'm going to buy in Boots.

• Advertisement

Basic Economics - if Boots supplies a product for a price that is cheaper than other competition then as a consumer I'm going to buy in Boots.
    ...you are entitled to your opinion. It is attitudes like yours that have this country in the state that it is in. "I'm alright Jack..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

To be fair, most of the products you would buy in a chemist arent produced or developed in Ireland anyway.

+1 on Paul Street, however if you're not there first thing there can be a bit of a queue to get into the place. Another alternative might be Carrolls Quay as it's just across the Christy Ring bridge. Your tax definitely won't be checked there.

EyeSight wrote: »
    but boots still generate a lot for the irish economy, in terms of employment(not just in store but with delivery men etc.) and low prices compared to smaller pharmacies. money is tight at the moment so people want to spend as little as possible
    ...think in terms of what Tesco has done to the small shop and small shopowner. And all those locals who were employed in those shops who are now unemployed.

...you are entitled to your opinion. It is attitudes like yours that have this country in the state that it is in. "I'm alright Jack..."
    Right - I'll lay this out for you very simply.

I'm 23, I work, I worked all my way through college, and I've worked professionally since I finished college. I wasn't out living beyond my means for the Boom years.

I buy plenty of Irish produce but with the graduate wages I'm on I purchase with one thing in mind - cost - as I said before, simple economics dictate this.

I won't even go into detail on what caused the country to wind up in the state it's in but me not buying a little extra Irish produce so I can save some money isn't it - and for you to insinuate such a thing show's your complete ignorance and intolerance to other peoples arguments against your point.

You're not buying enough Irish produce and that's why the country's in shít - sure thing genius.

Right - I'll lay this out for you very simply.

I'm 23, I work, I worked all my way through college, and I've worked professionally since I finished college. I wasn't out living beyond my means for the Boom years.

I buy plenty of Irish produce but with the graduate wages I'm on I purchase with one thing in mind - cost - as I said before, simple economics dictate this.

I won't even go into detail on what caused the country to wind up in the state it's in but me not buying a little extra Irish produce so I can save some money isn't it - and for you to insinuate such a thing show's your complete ignorance and intolerance to other peoples arguments against your point.

You're not buying enough Irish produce and that's why the country's in shít - sure thing genius.
    ...thanks for your reply, but if you can't see how buying Irish made products in Irish owned shops can help the economy and employment I feel sorry for you.

...thanks for your reply, but if you can't see how buying Irish made products in Irish owned shops can help the economy and employment I feel sorry for you.
    Laughable response - there are multiple factors affecting the Irish economy and employment rates at the moment chap - you're looking at the problem from one angle and refusing to budge.

Don't feel sorry for me either man - I don't deserve it - sure I'm the reason the country's in trouble in the first place :rolleyes:

Laughable response - there are multiple factors affecting the Irish economy and employment rates at the moment chap - you're looking at the problem from one angle and refusing to budge.

Don't feel sorry for me either man - I don't deserve it - sure I'm the reason the country's in trouble in the first place :rolleyes:
    ...indeed there are many factors as to why the economy and unemployment are such a problem. But one way to help is to buy an Irish product in an Irish owned business, it might be a small factor but it does multiply the benefits. I hope you got a good education because with such a narrow mind you won't go far in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I hope you got a good education because with such a narrow mind you won't go far in life.

you're skating dangerously close to personal abuse, which won't be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

...indeed there are many factors as to why the economy and unemployment are such a problem. But one way to help is to buy an Irish product in an Irish owned business, it might be a small factor but it does multiply the benefits.

While I agree that buying irish makes sense, and always try to support local suppliers / business, there are times when it doesnt make sense, especially when people have less disposable income for reasons I dont need to go into! I dont believe people should buy Irish if they are being ripped off and can maybe get the same product for a fraction of the price elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

...think in terms of what Tesco has done to the small shop and small shopowner. And all those locals who were employed in those shops who are now unemployed.
    bigger stores affecting the small ones has nothing to do with "irish owned". after all, i'm sure Dunnes and Super Valu have a part to play and they're irish owned. The fact here is that the cheaper shops will get more customers. not everyone can afford to pay more for the same stuff
    Rocky Bay wrote:
    The state of the country is due to severe mismanagement of money by the government, the collapse of the property bubble and bad banking decisions.

if all the non irish companies left ireland tomorrow, we would be screwed so much! we need them as much as they need us

Advertisement