Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what can I expect to see over Christmas?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭

What can we expect to see in the sky over Christmas? What planets are visible?

Onesimus :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Lots of planets in view at the moment.
    You might be able to see Venus in the south for a few minutes after sunset.
    Jupiter is visible as soon as it gets dark and is around for half the night.
    Mars is visible after midnight.
    And Saturn around 4am.
    Uranus and Neptune are around also but you would need a good telescope to even catch a glimpse of them.

Download stellarium and use the fast forward and rewind feature to check out exact times and locations of the planets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Might just catch a glimpse of himself too,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Cú Giobach

The ISS will be nicely visible most evenings from around the 20th onwards, check here for details.
    If you are very lucky on the night of the 24th you might catch a glimpse of this coming in from the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Kencollins

The ISS will be nicely visible most evenings from around the 20th onwards, check here for details.
    If you are very lucky on the night of the 24th you might catch a glimpse of this coming in from the north.

I believe there is going to be a rare sighting of a star that isn't seen very much at all.

Big yellow ball of fire, hopefully seen with the naked eye between 9am and 5pm someday before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Jupiter is a crackin site at the moment. Saturn and Mars will also be visible, and both bright enough too.

And dont forget Orion, climbing across the southern sky. Plenty to see around there too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭KrustyBurger

Kersh wrote: »
    Jupiter is a crackin site at the moment. Saturn and Mars will also be visible, and both bright enough too.

And dont forget Orion, climbing across the southern sky. Plenty to see around there too :)

Jupiter is cracking I agree, saw the Galilean moons last week for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Drake66

Mercury will be big and visible in the southeast at around half seven in the morning on the 23rd. It will be low on the horizon.

There was some good viewing late last night between the clouds. I got a few shots of the moon putting the camera up to the eyepiece. Got this one of Tycho.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/72204065@N05/6520975259/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

You can't see this with the naked eye or even a telescope, but I hope you like the image, which was embargoed until yesterday:

http://www.eso.org/public/news/eso1152/

:):)

Advertisement