Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you please recommend an (inexpensive) double buggy?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm on the mooch for a double buggy. I don't need it til April/May, but would like to get an idea of what to go for.

So far I've been looking at one's like the Safety first duodeal tandem or the Graco stadium duo tandem.
    Reason being, I've already had a Quinny buzz & current have a Maxi cosi mura. Despite being fabulously comfy and sturdy looking buggies, all 5' 3" of me finds both too heavy both to maneuver when walking and especially when getting in/out of the car.
    I also hate the way the seats have to detach from both in order to put them in the boot/take them out.

Could someone please recommend a relatively inexpensive tandem style buggy for me?
    I'm hoping to get an umbrella type fold or one hand fold buggy so it wont take up a lot of space in the boot and will be easy to put up/down.

I like the Safety First & Graco I mentioned above, however when I googled reviews on both they don't come off too well, a lot of mentions of them being very heavy/difficult to maneuver.
    I can see the point as with a toddler in the front I imagine it would be heavy to lift up onto kerbs etc.

Is there any alternative to the tandem style that would be easy to maneuver but also easy to put up/down?

I don't walk a lot as I live in the sticks with crap roads near me, so it'd mainly be used if I was in town/shopping/etc

Oh & just to be really awkward, my max budget would be €200, though I have no aversions to buying a (clean) second hand one.
    I changed pram 6 times with no. 1 in the first 18 months trying to find one I was happy with so know now there's no point spending big money on them!

Thanks in advance!

C

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

I had a safety first tandem and it was a pain in the behind - hard to push, too small seats and too short lay down part, heavy, really not nice at all.
    I have used a cosatto tandem - too small IMHO, graco - too long, can't see what is on the path in front of you, hard to get around corners, etc.
    I use a phil and teds and the only cons is that the child in back so low down, but it does not seem to bother them and the basket on my very old one is small, but the newer ones are better, i believe.
    It is versatile - use as a single or double, easy to pop up and down - but taking off the back seat is a little awkward when you have to put it away, neat enough - used to fit in the boot of our polo, easy to push and maneuver.
    The love-n-care europa is a very similar and my friend has one and loves it.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My biggest problem is after the maxi cosi mura all buggies are awful!!
    We have the out n about nipper 360 double, it is good and I am very happy with it but a bit light for walking sometimes.
    Check out adverts.ie there are usually loads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

I got a second hand Jane Powertwin from adverts.ie. They're usually priced around €250 secondhand, I got mine for €150 - depends on the condition and who's selling. It is a bit bulky but is easy enough to manouever. You don't need any accessories for a newborn, they can safely lie flat in it from day 1. My only concern about it is that my firstborn is only 2 and a bit and so needs to be contained, but he's big for his age and a complete livewire and the buggy doesn't seem to be 100% stable when he starts throwing his bulk about - I have visions of him toppling the whole thing over, new baby and all. Other than that though it's a lovely buggy - very smooth ride and compact enough when folded (fits in the back of the Fabia with room for shopping or two dogs).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

The Marco Sky Tandem is good, it is bulky but wheels swivel so it is easy enough to move about. They sell on adverts etc for about 60 euro... I have one, if you want to try it out before you buy one. They don't make them new anymore I don't think.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I looked at the jane powertwin but the size and weight of it was too much for me.
    Loved it otherwise:)
    I saw the Marco for sale recently,I can not remember where.

kiddicare.com normally have good reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

I have the cheaper graco duo jupitor.. it was €169 new in smyths.. if it's just for shopping then it's grand... but the only problem i have with it is, when the car seat is in the back with a newborn, i find it difficult to get shopping into it. the bottom/boot doesn't move like my more expensive graco so you need to coax the shopping in :D but it's lighter than the more expensive version that i had years ago when the girls were small.. it was over €200.. but when the baby is sitting up a bit it'd be fine.. i don't struggle too much getting it into the boot .. but i did take the tray off the front seat just to get it sitting flatter in the boot and i can pack things on top which is great.. going in and out of shops is fine and i can steer it one handed with an umbrella. . ;)

cbyrd wrote: »
    I have the cheaper graco duo jupitor.. it was €169 new in smyths.. if it's just for shopping then it's grand... but the only problem i have with it is, when the car seat is in the back with a newborn, i find it difficult to get shopping into it. the bottom/boot doesn't move like my more expensive graco so you need to coax the shopping in :D but it's lighter than the more expensive version that i had years ago when the girls were small.. it was over €200.. but when the baby is sitting up a bit it'd be fine.. i don't struggle too much getting it into the boot .. but i did take the tray off the front seat just to get it sitting flatter in the boot and i can pack things on top which is great.. going in and out of shops is fine and i can steer it one handed with an umbrella. . ;)

This is the one reason I love my Petite Star Zia and wish they could make a doubles version the same weight as the single version, not asking too much am I :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Can't recommend a double buggy but will recommend as other above adverts.ie, also donedeal.ie, rollercoaster.ie and gumtree.ie for getting good bargains :)

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I agree with Hobbitfeet. I'm also on the lookout for a cheap double as come April I'll have a newborn and a 15month old. These sites seem to have a good number of doubles for around €90.
    Now I just have to find someone willing to sell a baby jogger at that price. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

We have a jane pro duo or something like that. It's great because the twins car seats just clipped straight into it, no waking them up to move them in it out of the car and you can go through any size door without problem, also got a buggy board attachment for the 2.5 year old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I also bought the Jane Powertwin pro second hand. I am delighted with it, I bought it because baby no 1 will only be 16 month when the other one comes along, but I also bought a cheap umbrella fold buggy and a buggy board for when baby no2 is over 6 months. I can see myself mostly having the baby in a sling and just using the Petite Zia for her.

I had a loan of a Phil and Teds for 2 weeks and I hated it, it was much heaver and hard to push than the Urban Detour I had with no. 1, even though they look similar. I liked the Lovin care Europa too but same thing, pretty heave and hard to steer.

I also used a McClarren side by side when minding my cousins (3 months and 21 months for a day shopping. It was like having just one child but the 3 month old never looked really comfy, even in the footmuff.

If money was no object I'd buy the Britax B-Dual!! I think it looks lovely, but I havent tried it out.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I also bought the Jane Powertwin pro second hand. I am delighted with it, I bought it because baby no 1 will only be 16 month when the other one comes along, but I also bought a cheap umbrella fold buggy and a buggy board for when baby no2 is over 6 months. I can see myself mostly having the baby in a sling and just using the Petite Zia for her.

This is what I'm using at the moment, the eldest (3) walks, then the middle girl is in the Petite Zia she's 22 months and my ten week old in a sling. I do get some funny looks :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

Thanks a mill for all the replies folks :)
    It's great getting feedback first hand from people that have used them.

I like the look of the Jane powertwin, does that fold up easy enough to go in the boot?
    I have a passat and its a fairly deep boot, though if I put the maxi cosi mura in it I've to take the wheels off first which I'm not keen on.

Cbyrd do you have to use the car seat clip on with the Graco for a newborn or can the buggy part be used for them?
    I have a car seat already so I wasn't going to get a pram/buggy that took a car seat too. That's a really good price for the graco!

Anything that is easy to steer is a bonus for me, I'm the clumsiest person to be put in charge of a buggy :o so the easier the better :D

January I like the sounds of the Marco sky tandem being easy to steer, is it heavy to push with a toddler in front?

I have a cheapo buggy I got a few months back that I plan to use with a buggy board all going well when 21 month is a little older.

Moonbeam, is the nipper bulky to fold or heavy to lift into the boot? I like the look of those, they're nice and snug.

Lynski I must check out the lovencar/phil & teds. That would be good that it can be turned back into a single alright, though I'd have to see it up close to see if I'd be ok with baba 2 in the lower seat.
    Is it easy enough to get baby 2 in the lower seat?

Plenty of food for thought here (thanks again!) must go and do the rounds of the advertisement sites to see if there's any deals to be had :)

[QUOTE=caprilicious;75987411
    January I like the sounds of the Marco sky tandem being easy to steer, is it heavy to push with a toddler in front?

[/QUOTE]

The only time I find it heavy is if I am pushing it up a kerb... or a steep hill otherwise it's fine. I have to be honest with you though, I know my S would not stand on a buggy board, and I know her and R are the same age... would you try a sling and a single even? When we bring E and S shopping (usually when A is in playschool) I just throw E from the carseat into the sling and put S into the trolley and she's fine!

January wrote: »
    The only time I find it heavy is if I am pushing it up a kerb... or a steep hill otherwise it's fine. I have to be honest with you though, I know my S would not stand on a buggy board, and I know her and R are the same age... would you try a sling and a single even? When we bring E and S shopping (usually when A is in playschool) I just throw E from the carseat into the sling and put S into the trolley and she's fine!

Yep I think that's the issue well so far anyway with the thoughts of using a buggy board. R is a divil when she goes out in public, unless I have a firm grip on her hand she'd be away in a shot causing mayhem!
    Buying the buggy board may have been wishful thinking for me :D

I must try a sling, I tried a mc'claren carrier with R and it was a disaster, too many straps and connections (8 in total :eek:) I found it so tricky to manage.
    I've seen lovely mei tai slings on adverts though that I'd like to give a try.

I am a childminder now so have the 10 month old in the sling,the 23 month old and the 11 month old in the buggy sometimes the big girl sits on the foot board.
    If you plan to walk anywhere do get inflatable tyres.
    I am not a fan of the phil and teds and if I was buying again would go for one of the super cool ones that does double and single.
    So much space taken up by buggies.

Just saw this - http://www.letsgostrolling.com/mountain-buggy-free-rider.html looks cool:)

The jane is very easy to fold, but not light. You'd have to be over 5'7 to lift it into my hatchback. Amazon were cheapest for thhe graco when i was loooking.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I asked about the buggy board in one of the good baby shop. The woman said that the manufacturer says they can be used from 2 but she'd recommend closer to 3 as a 2 year old will probably get tired to quickly and want to sit down. I'd hoped it would be an option for my first too.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Yve

January wrote: »
    This is the one reason I love my Petite Star Zia and wish they could make a doubles version the same weight as the single version, not asking too much am I :p

I too have a Petite Star and I LOVE IT

Like Capriclicious I am in need of a double buggy now for April.

Don't wanna say bye bye to my lovely petite star :(

The do, but I didnt want a side by side. The more I look at the double I cant imagine myself pushing it around. I struggled to find a car space yesterday that I could comfortably take baby out of the car seat.

http://www.nurseryvalue.com/pushchairs/petite-star-twin-extreme-charisma-pushchair.aspx

Charisma%20Twin%20Footmuff.jpg

• Advertisement

I seriously considered it but there were none around to test drive.

The do, but I didnt want a side by side. The more I look at the double I cant imagine myself pushing it around. I struggled to find a car space yesterday that I could comfortably take baby out of the car seat.

http://www.nurseryvalue.com/pushchairs/petite-star-twin-extreme-charisma-pushchair.aspx

Thanks for the link.... I really dont like the idea of one child being so restricted visually.. My little man will be one when next fella comes along..

I live in Gorey and I think the only places I will be going is Tesco and maybe (only maybe) the shopping centre... So many of the shops down here have steps and some doors you cant even get a single buggy into.. so not buggy or wheelchair friendly !!

True, same here in town, my sister had a side by side for her 2, 16 months between them and the kids loved it but, we hated bringing it anywhere. It was a shopping center buggy only.

That's my problem too.......I love the look of the petite star Zia you have pictured and the similar urban detour/nipper out'n'about, but I find it tough enough trying to manage navigating through the narrow pavements of Kilkenny with a single buggy, I don't think I'd get a double width buggy down John st without ploughing a few tourists out of it on the way :)

I'm some contrary so & so when it comes to this buggy lark :o:D

and the country aint much better...

recently just moved down from my home place, tiny village in wicklow and trying to get a single buggy up the step into the local shop... nightmare !!

Ah I suppose one upside is that I will only be only to go 'me shopping' when the two are at home with the OH... I'll spend less ha ha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Thanks a mill for all the replies folks :)
    It's great getting feedback first hand from people that have used them.

I like the look of the Jane powertwin, does that fold up easy enough to go in the boot?
    I have a passat and its a fairly deep boot, though if I put the maxi cosi mura in it I've to take the wheels off first which I'm not keen on.

Cbyrd do you have to use the car seat clip on with the Graco for a newborn or can the buggy part be used for them?
    I have a car seat already so I wasn't going to get a pram/buggy that took a car seat too. That's a really good price for the graco!

Anything that is easy to steer is a bonus for me, I'm the clumsiest person to be put in charge of a buggy :o so the easier the better :D

I have a cheapo buggy I got a few months back that I plan to use with a buggy board all going well when 21 month is a little older.

Moonbeam, is the nipper bulky to fold or heavy to lift into the boot? I like the look of those, they're nice and snug.

Lynski I must check out the lovencar/phil & teds. That would be good that it can be turned back into a single alright, though I'd have to see it up close to see if I'd be ok with baba 2 in the lower seat.
    Is it easy enough to get baby 2 in the lower seat?

Plenty of food for thought here (thanks again!) must go and do the rounds of the advertisement sites to see if there's any deals to be had :)

i have the car seat for my graco.. now.. the new buggy is slightly smaller than my single buggy, it does fit but with gentle persuasion :D the double buggy i bought is a smaller version of my single buggy travel system.. different colour but then i'm not into buggy fashion but my thinking on it was oscar will only be about 4-5 months before he can go into the buggy without the car seat.. so buying a whole new expensive travel system didn't make sense, the one that would fit it perfectly was €269 and i just couldn't afford it and santy and food :eek: :D

Yes main st in Wecford and John St and High St in Kilkenny are a nightmare with a double. You just end up living in shopping centers.

Yep I think that's the issue well so far anyway with the thoughts of using a buggy board. R is a divil when she goes out in public, unless I have a firm grip on her hand she'd be away in a shot causing mayhem!
    Buying the buggy board may have been wishful thinking for me :D

I must try a sling, I tried a mc'claren carrier with R and it was a disaster, too many straps and connections (8 in total :eek:) I found it so tricky to manage.
    I've seen lovely mei tai slings on adverts though that I'd like to give a try.

If we meet up before baby is born you can try out my mei tai no problem :)

and my baba sling and samsonite one.
    I love the baba sling , The samsonite one is fine .
    Tk Maxx is great for buying slings:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

We had a front and back buggy the baby went in the lie down part in the back and the one year old went in front (not side by side) we bought it in smyths toys for 120.00 approx. We'd no problems with it - I didn't go for the side by side one as a lot of places had small entrances and I was afraid I'd be limited to where I could go. I also remember being at a bus stop and a girl there had to wait an hour for a wheelchair accessible bus so she could get on with her pram. Things have changed thankfully now.

Advertisement