Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you please recommend an (inexpensive) double buggy?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭LashingLady

I went for a second hand P&T Vibe when number 2 was born last year. My little boy was 2 and 3 mths when she was born. I paid €380 for it at the time which I know was a lot but that included the newborn soft carrycot which was very handy when she was small.

I found it invaluable during the first year. It gives a good few configuration options, and the older toddler can sleep in it, which I don't think some of the other tandems allow as there can be just a little upright seat at the front (think Graco stadium duo). Once older boy hit three he doesn't really get in the buggy any more but we find the back seat very handy for carrying shopping, and all the stuff when we go places like the zoo, while always having the option if he gets too tired to walk.

The main seat is so big in the Phil and Teds that we're bringing it on holidays with us along with our umbrella fold stroller so that we can let both children
    sleep in the buggies when we are out at night. Older fella is a very big three and a half, and he can still comfortably sleep in the P&T.

I wasn't sure how much time I was going to get out of it, I still use it for walks as a single with the younger one, and I'm happy that I still have the double option for the winter as if there's ice and snow I can put both of them in it and still get around.

I would go for the Dash if I was choosing again though, as the aluminium frame on the Vibe isn't as strong, I ended up having a break as I was putitng the older guy in the back and it was putting too much strain on it. I was able to get it welded fixed though and it's fine now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

January wrote: »
    If we meet up before baby is born you can try out my mei tai no problem :)

That'd be brill, thanks January :) I was in shopping today and found myself nosing at double buggies when the passed, but they all seemed massive!
    So I can see the sling + single buggy being the more practical route.

There was a woman pushing one of those buggies with one child under the other (like the phil and teds) but her knee's were brushing off the back of the lower child's head, it didn't look comfy for mum or baby! plus poor child was at the right level to get a poke of a shopping bag in the eye when they walked through the busy shopping area.

Moonbeam I'm kicking myself, I was in TK Maxx and didn't think to check for slings today, must have a look next time I'm in :)

Cbyrd I'm with you on the cost of them, can't justify spending big bucks on whatever I go for. I'm pretty sure this will be our last baby so only need it for a few months really :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

That'd be brill, thanks January :) I was in shopping today and found myself nosing at double buggies when the passed, but they all seemed massive!
    So I can see the sling + single buggy being the more practical route.

There was a woman pushing one of those buggies with one child under the other (like the phil and teds) but her knee's were brushing off the back of the lower child's head, it didn't look comfy for mum or baby! plus poor child was at the right level to get a poke of a shopping bag in the eye when they walked through the busy shopping area.

Moonbeam I'm kicking myself, I was in TK Maxx and didn't think to check for slings today, must have a look next time I'm in :)

Cbyrd I'm with you on the cost of them, can't justify spending big bucks on whatever I go for. I'm pretty sure this will be our last baby so only need it for a few months really :)

I only spent 40 euro on my Marco Sky second hand... did buy it off a friend though so I knew it was in perfect condition... you'd probably get one for similar money on adverts/donedeal

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SAHMOM

Your options are
    a tandem, 1 in front newborn behind. They are long and very heavy to push also trying to get up and down off kerbs is a nightmare. It takes up a lot of boot space.
    a side by side, wide so hard to get into narrow doors or push around shops etc. It is lighter than a tandem but make sure you get one suitable from birth..ie it'll lie compltely flat.
    up and under tandem...like Phil and teds, or a cheaper version (350 as opposed to 650 for a p&t) OBaby xi tandem. A little heavier than a side by side but still much lighter than the front and back.....I would reccommend this type as you can use it as a single buggy when older child is walking....

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Chriscl1

Tandems are not hard to push as long as your tyres are pumped up correctly. We've a tandem and a mclaren side by side and the Jane tandem is much more manoeuvrable, can be moved and turned with one hand easy compared to the side by side.

• Advertisement

Very good summary of the types sahmom :) I'm still as undecided as ever!
    I'm either going to go for my current pram + sling or Jane power twin.
    Well that's this weeks plan anyway but it seems to change on a daily basis! :o

Interesting point about the tyres Chriscl1, I have a maxi cosi mura that I haven't used much since I bought it as it didn't fit in the tiny car boot I had.
    However I changed car recently and brought it out a few times, found it very heavy to steer.
    It was only after a few uses I realised the tyres were pretty soft & it has made a big difference in the steering/much lighter to push.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭SAHMOM

:) Personnally I'd use the obaby because its half the price as the P&T but works the same. Its adaptable to what stage you need it for and because it has air filled wheels its great for walking.
    What ever you decide hope it works for you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

You could also try <snip> for second hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

A lot of people only use the twin for a short time so they tend to be like new 2nd hand. So its possible to pick up tandem and a side by side for the price of one new buggy. we didn't realise that at the time, but thats what I'd do if doing it over.

We had a tandem when they were small, but once they got bigger it was too heavy. We used a 360 double the most for the school run. Though we have two single buggies aswell. Lots of people gave us their old buggies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

<snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Treanor2011

Hi,

I'm on the mooch for a double buggy. I don't need it til April/May, but would like to get an idea of what to go for.

So far I've been looking at one's like the Safety first duodeal tandem or the Graco stadium duo tandem.
    Reason being, I've already had a Quinny buzz & current have a Maxi cosi mura. Despite being fabulously comfy and sturdy looking buggies, all 5' 3" of me finds both too heavy both to maneuver when walking and especially when getting in/out of the car.
    I also hate the way the seats have to detach from both in order to put them in the boot/take them out.

Could someone please recommend a relatively inexpensive tandem style buggy for me?
    I'm hoping to get an umbrella type fold or one hand fold buggy so it wont take up a lot of space in the boot and will be easy to put up/down.

I like the Safety First & Graco I mentioned above, however when I googled reviews on both they don't come off too well, a lot of mentions of them being very heavy/difficult to maneuver.
    I can see the point as with a toddler in the front I imagine it would be heavy to lift up onto kerbs etc.

Is there any alternative to the tandem style that would be easy to maneuver but also easy to put up/down?

I don't walk a lot as I live in the sticks with crap roads near me, so it'd mainly be used if I was in town/shopping/etc

Oh & just to be really awkward, my max budget would be €200, though I have no aversions to buying a (clean) second hand one.
    I changed pram 6 times with no. 1 in the first 18 months trying to find one I was happy with so know now there's no point spending big money on them!

Thanks in advance!

C
    Hi I bought a great one second hand on done deal.ie and seen a few on amazon Ireland that were very reasonable .

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

Are tandems suitable for twins newborns, trying to find a suitable one or buggy that will fit through small door frames and also use on public transport, as the one we have, is too wide and its a double buggy side by side, great for walking etc. but on public transport no. The only alternative is to stay in for 6mths and then buy something from 6mths up :eek::eek::eek:

The Maclaren Twin Techno fits through small door frames, not sure of it on a bus though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Buses or trains?
    DUblin bus or bus eireann?

The experience is different on each.

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Buses or trains?

Dublin Bus, Commuter trains, well not the train as such its the old train stations, get in and out of them with a wide buggy that is wider then a wheel chair doesnt sound like fun...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

purplecat wrote: »
    Buses or trains?

Dublin Bus, Commuter trains, well not the train as such its the old train stations, get in and out of them with a wide buggy that is wider then a wheel chair doesnt sound like fun...
    The out n about nipper is great as it is the same width as a wheelchair and was the narrowest double available.

The out n about nipper is great as it is the same width as a wheelchair and was the narrowest double available.

are you sure about the nipper the same width as a wheelchair because the standard wheelchair width is 66cm, sorry now I am not trying to annoy you, I just want to buy a double that I wont have problems with when out. So far have looked at the maclaren techno, on two different sites and have got two different sizes width wise and two different prices..
    I think its easier to buy a bike with two side cars at this rate. :D
    Thanks for your help !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

The Out and About Double is 77cm wide. It goes through a standard external door just, but not an internal door in our experience. It will generally fit through one side a french doors for example. Never had a problem with doors in shops etc, unless it was a really narrow none standard door.

I think door size is really the issue here not wheelchair widths. One of the reasons we went for it was it takes heavier weights, 50 lbs per seat rather than 15lbs on many others.

I think the phil and ted is narrower, 62cm, but still surprisingly wider than you think. However if you hang bags on it, as many do, it will be wider. With the out and about its has huge storage underneath.

While it folds, the Out and About Double isn't the best buddy if you are going to be folding it a lot and in and out of cars. The Phil and Ted is better at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Check online Cap, places like gumtree and rollercoaster etc....you can get great second hand ones? I got a second and Phil and Teds tandem from a mate of my sis-in-law for 180...apparently she had it online for sale, but no one would take it :eek:

• Advertisement

purplecat wrote: »
    are you sure about the nipper the same width as a wheelchair because the standard wheelchair width is 66cm, sorry now I am not trying to annoy you, I just want to buy a double that I wont have problems with when out. So far have looked at the maclaren techno, on two different sites and have got two different sizes width wise and two different prices..
    I think its easier to buy a bike with two side cars at this rate. :D
    Thanks for your help !

No bother,I remember advertising saying it was the same.
    I am wrong.

The baby jogger is a lovely buggy.

I have issues in about 2 places with the with of the buggy.
    Our local Ulsterbank has the smallest entrance ever so I need to take a wheel off to get in and we have a door from the porch to the hall which is really narrow.

There are so many thing to take in to account when you are looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭gremha

They're not cheap, but we have a out-n-about nipper 360. You can get decent ones second hand around 200/250. Very very light to push. so much so, they come with a strap to hold put on your wrist incase you take your hand off it & it gets caught by a gust of wind.

I carry 3 kids on mine weighing a total of 82lb and have to push it up hills and it is still fine to push.

For twins I would look at the city jogger .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭doubletrouble?

myself and purplecat managed to get a cheap new double buggy from smyths. only €149.99 and it's only 66cm wide. fits through all the doors in the house with a wee bit of jigging :D . comes with a rain cover but no foot muffs.
    http://www.toys.ie/Baby-GoGo-Tip-Toe-Twin-!105576-prd.aspx

Check online Cap, places like gumtree and rollercoaster etc....you can get great second hand ones? I got a second and Phil and Teds tandem from a mate of my sis-in-law for 180...apparently she had it online for sale, but no one would take it :eek:

Omg that was fantastic value for a P&T, I've seen them second hand cheapest €250 odd :eek:

Doubletrouble that's excellent value for the pram you got in the end :)

I'm still no closer to deciding, think I'm going to get a sling for the beginning (thanks for the link January to the ebay ones :) ) and see how I get on from there.

Does anybody have an iCandy Pear/ Peach blossom? I saw one in town yesterday and it looked lovely and compact but the newborn isn't as far underneath as in a P&T. I think the one I saw was a Peach blossom.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just did the sling and buggy option today for the first time and it worked great, but my 16month would never ask to get out of the buggy so im lucky.

Ok finally bit the bullet & ordered my pram today. After much deliberation (and serious bargain hunting ;)) I've ordered a Nipper Out'n'About 360.

I'm not getting it delivered until closer to baby arrival, looking forward to it though!

I'm going to get a sling & use my umbrella fold Maclaren pram for nipping in to the shops to do errands etc, and the Nipper for 'proper' walks :)

So glad to finally have the decision out of the way. Now there's no excuse, I'll have to get out for plenty of walks to justify the cost of the double!(got a really good deal though of €360 new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Ok finally bit the bullet & ordered my pram today. After much deliberation (and serious bargain hunting ;)) I've ordered a Nipper Out'n'About 360.

I'm not getting it delivered until closer to baby arrival, looking forward to it though!

I'm going to get a sling & use my umbrella fold Maclaren pram for nipping in to the shops to do errands etc, and the Nipper for 'proper' walks :)

So glad to finally have the decision out of the way. Now there's no excuse, I'll have to get out for plenty of walks to justify the cost of the double!(got a really good deal though of €360 new.

That's a great price! Well done you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭alibride

after having a quinny maclaren and now a out and about nipper i cant recommend the nipper highly enough - easiset thing to push - i have the single but even wiht a buggy board attached is so easy to manouver

Advertisement