Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another bloody roundabout...

Options
  • 13-12-2011 2:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭

OK - was in town for first time in a while today, and there's another bloody roundabout at junction of barrack street and kennedy avenue (thompson's corner??)

Did the town planners get a shiny new compass or what?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

alproctor wrote: »
    OK - was in town for first time in a while today, and there's another bloody roundabout at junction of barrack street and kennedy avenue (thompson's corner??)

Did the town planners get a shiny new compass or what?
    That's been in the pipeline for months. Did you not see the markings on the ground the last 4-5months. About time they sorted out that nasty junction!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

What is it with Carlow roundabouts and drivers not using their indicators?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

BO-JANGLES wrote: »
    What is it with Carlow roundabouts and drivers not using their indicators?

It's not a problem that's unique to Carlow to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

TheZohan wrote: »
    It's not a problem that's unique to Carlow to be fair.

The indicators may not be unique to Carlow but the complete inability to use a roundabout one outside of the town is. That roundabout in Bagenalstown is comical, people stop and it is like a game of chicken to see who goes first, and there is one in Fenagh that is going to end in a serious crash.

People coming through the village just plough through and dont even slow down to see if anything is coming from myshall way and if you are coming from myshall you have a complete blind spot to people coming into the village.

Saw a crash yesterday in Ballon at the roundabout also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

The mini roundabout in Graigue by The Grid is lethal too if you're coming from the Postal Sorting Office direction. No one going towards Dunnes ever slows down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

The one at the Barrack st. entrance to fairgreen is a dangerous hoor too. Nearly came a cropper there a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

foggy_lad wrote: »
    That's been in the pipeline for months. Did you not see the markings on the ground the last 4-5months. About time they sorted out that nasty junction!

theres no roundabout markings as such, it's a load of red and white barriers in a circle for the roundabout.

this is not sorting it out, i can see buses going into the coach park finding it tight, and people didnt know whether to come or go at it today, bring back the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Git101

patrickc wrote: »
    and people didnt know whether to come or go at it today, bring back the lights.

If fairness if people don't know whether to come or go at a roundabout they shouldn't be allowed to drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

Talking about roundabouts, the one they put in on the Kilkenny Rd just past the college is lethal. People don't seem to realise it's a roundabout. I've nearly been ploughed into on three or more occasions by cars steaming through.

Each time I've seen the car coming and let them on whereas normally I'd be halfway around. It's only a matter of time until someones not paying attention and there's a crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭hadepsx

ye theres a fierce lot of work being done by the council these past few weeks, mostly in hast as they have to use up their 2011 funds,and as such not much thought has gone into the work. its stupid that they cant bring any remaning funds forward into new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Schism wrote: »
    Talking about roundabouts, the one they put in on the Kilkenny Rd just past the college is lethal. People don't seem to realise it's a roundabout. I've nearly been ploughed into on three or more occasions by cars steaming through.

Each time I've seen the car coming and let them on whereas normally I'd be halfway around. It's only a matter of time until someones not paying attention and there's a crash.

All approaches to the roundabout have the usual big yellow signs warning them of its existence but of course many people don't tend to heed road signs. Poor driving is the main problem imo, but I agree perhaps some measures could be taken to make it more prominent.

Schism wrote: »

If people were to drive a little slower and be more courteous and pay proper attention to other road users and allow for those who may find roundabouts confusing or who may not know the area they would be a lot less stressed at the end of their journeys:)

patrickc wrote: »
    theres no roundabout markings as such, it's a load of red and white barriers in a circle for the roundabout.

this is not sorting it out, i can see buses going into the coach park finding it tight, and people didnt know whether to come or go at it today, bring back the lights.
    The markings I referred to were the spray-can markings showing the layout of the new roundabout, these were clearly visible on the road and footpaths around the junction for a few months, also i wouldn't think the roundabout will be left as it is with the temporary plastic barriers unless the council go broke over the Christmas.

One thing I have noticed is the awful new bus shelter which is wide open to the elements and will seat about 3 people and shelter about 5 from light showers if there is no wind. the old shelter is a bit ugly but could have been tarted up a bit as it does provide good shelter even in driving rain for the many people who wait at this stop. regularly there are more than 20 waiting for buses here and leaving them out in the rain is just typical of Carlow town council!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Pity they would not resurface the road along where St Leo's and Court Place instead of another new roundabout. That stretch of road is a disgrace for a few years.

Also is Carlow Town now Irelands Roundabout Capital.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

lucylu wrote: »
    Pity they would not resurface the road along where St Leo's and Court Place instead of another new roundabout. That stretch of road is a disgrace for a few years.

Also is Carlow Town now Irelands Roundabout Capital.?

Think so I have never seen so many roundabouts in one place its just crazy they even have roundabouts onto roundabouts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

I think they were just at a loss at what to do with that junction in fairness. The roundabout at the college is an accident waiting to happen, I tend to be overly cautious approching it.

What ya think of the new cycle lanes lol ? Esp the stretch between aldi and the lights at macgahmna road. People litterally driving on the wrong side of the road to stay out of it .

Surely the worst road surface is the stretch to graigue (the old one) bridge ?

I get 26 so far anything that has a roundpainted circle on the road is also considered a roundabout

1.dolmen ( Supervalu)
    2.Browneshill (The presentation Askea)
    3.Lidl
    4.Iceland
    5.Eire Og
    6.Burrin River
    7.KFC
    8.Roundabout behind Fire Station
    9.Roundabout beside Railway Bridge Fairgreen
    10.Fairgreen
    11Credit Union
    12Closh Stores
    13 MSD (Is this considered Carlow town?)
    14 Castleoaks
    15 Lapple
    16 Braun
    17Athy Road
    18 Dooley Motors
    19 Talbot Hotel
    20 Portlaoise Road
    21 Killeshin Road
    22 Granby road a
    23 Granby road b
    24 Quinnagh Road
    25 Abrakebabra
    26 Carlow IT
    Is there another one on the Dublin Road near Sheedy Motors?

Edit ... no 26 added!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

27. Junction of Old Dublin Road and Station/Railway Road.
    did you include the one this thread is about? :)

Roundabouts at next/new look and into tesco car park, dont see them on the list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

We have five roundabouts in a housing estate with 110 houses here in Arklow, we win.

• Advertisement

Owryan wrote: »
    Roundabouts at next/new look and into tesco car park, dont see them on the list

number 10! Oh wait you are right there is another one!

We are on 28!

Carlows Roundabouts ....

1 dolmen ( Supervalu)
    2.Browneshill (The presentation Askea)
    3.Lidl
    4.Iceland
    5.Eire Og
    6.Burrin River
    7.KFC
    8.Roundabout behind Fire Station
    9.Roundabout beside Railway Bridge Fairgreen
    10.Fairgreen (Champion Sports)
    11Credit Union
    12Closh Stores
    13 MSD (Is this considered Carlow town?)
    14 Castleoaks
    15 Lapple
    16 Braun
    17Athy Road
    18 Dooley Motors
    19 Talbot Hotel
    20 Portlaoise Road
    21 Killeshin Road
    22 Granby road a
    23 Granby road b
    24 Quinnagh Road
    25 Abrakebabra
    26 Carlow IT
    27 Old Dublin Road
    28 Fairgreen (New Look)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 pholland

the one by the presentation on the hacketstown road as well i cant see a roundabout at iceland

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I think its great. Got through the junction in about 10 seconds.

It will be a bit thight for the buses, but other than that i don't see the problem with it.

I think its great. Got through the junction in about 10 seconds.

It will be a bit thight for the buses, but other than that i don't see the problem with it.
    It's a bit tight at the moment but it's not finished yet! when finished it should free up that whole junction especially at rush-hour.

Came tru it tonight , people still waiting at the crossing and chancing their arm getting acrosss. Anyone know if they plan to leave the pedestrian crossing s where the are or move them ?

Pers I think the idea of having crossing at roundabouts dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Its lethal for pedestrians there at the moment ,especially at night. I can tell you all right now before they finalise the thing it will be a disaster . The lights for the three crossing places will cause havoc. I think there's room for another roundabout at the junction of Charlotte street and Tullow street

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

bogof wrote: »
    Its lethal for pedestrians there at the moment ,especially at night. I can tell you all right now before they finalise the thing it will be a disaster . The lights for the three crossing places will cause havoc. I think there's room for another roundabout at the junction of Charlotte street and Tullow street
    I'll assume that's a stab at humour :), both streets are 1-way with no entry onto Tullow St from Charlotte St.

Auld wan in yaris drove straight into the new roundabout on barrack st today , bout 10.30. Dont think she realised it was one until it was too late .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

I just found three more roundabouts. On the new road up the Barrow Track at junction of Cox's Lane and at the old Laundry . There's another on the Green road at the recycling centre/Bullock Park.

Advertisement