Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another bloody roundabout...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Small one by Doyles of the Shamrock and has anyone counted the one beside the An Post depot and the one beside the go-carting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

TheZohan wrote: »
    Small one by Doyles of the Shamrock and has anyone counted the one beside the An Post depot and the one beside the go-carting?

that would depend on whether you would see graigue as laois or carlow lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Owryan wrote: »
    Auld wan in yaris drove straight into the new roundabout on barrack st today , bout 10.30. Dont think she realised it was one until it was too late .

Pedestrians are always at risk from motorists but when the roundabout is finished it will be impossible to use the defence of "I didn't see it" like people are trying to do with the one out at the IT. The only time you won't see it is when you are not driving in accordance with the rules of the road and road traffic act, driving too fast or not paying attention putting on make up or texting the missus etc etc. Also some people are just too old or infirm to be driving and should be taken off the road by their relatives before they kill someone or maybe take out a whole family.

I was right behind her, she was indicating to turn right, ie up towards pennys.

I was waiting for her to manouver to take the 3rd exit, instead she just drove into the traffic cones, panicked and stalled. As I drove past her husband (i assume) looked like he was giving her a right earful.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭dublincelt

TheZohan wrote: »
    It's not a problem that's unique to Carlow to be fair.

Having lived here for the past 4 years and being lucky enough to have a job (Tech Sales Rep) and clocking at least 4500K a month, trust me, a large number of Carlovians are are either just plain lazy or complete idiots when they navigate a roundabout :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

I would echo what has been said by dublincelt and foggy_lad. I drive about 75k/year - at home and abroad - and the standard of driving on Irish roads is atrocious. The really frightening aspect of it though is that a lot of these people are ignorant to their short-comings.

Instead of increasing road tax etc., Phil Hogan should actually employ road traffic gardai to issue on-the-spot fines would be a greater revenue source and would make the roads a much safer place than the lottery they currently are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

there is 1 roundabout at bullock park

sleaty road

portlaoise road

castlecomer road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

dublincelt wrote: »
    Having lived here for the past 4 years and being lucky enough to have a job (Tech Sales Rep) and clocking at least 4500K a month, trust me, a large number of Carlovians are are either just plain lazy or complete idiots when they navigate a roundabout :o

Like yourself and myself, a large number of Carlovians are not Carlovians :) which is why I prefer to say that a large number of motorists are either just plain lazy or complete idiots when they navigate a roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

just what is a carlovian anyway? you could be living here 20 years and still be a blowin. And thats not a bad thing in my book, since im a tyronian.

I am obviously in the minority, but i like that roundabout. it beats the pure crap out of the lights that were there ... i just hope it isnt only a christmas thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

Came tru it tonight , people still waiting at the crossing and chancing their arm getting acrosss. Anyone know if they plan to leave the pedestrian crossing s where the are or move them ?

Pers I think the idea of having crossing at roundabouts dangerous

Totally agree with you there.

• Advertisement

Bagenal wrote: »
    Totally agree with you there.
    Where else are people going to cross the road? if the crossings are put down at Carpenters and outside the Superquinn entrance people are still going to cross even more dangerously at the roundabout!

The problem is not the pedestrians but impatient, ignorant, rude, aggressive motorists who think they have a God given right of way on the roads. Just remember how much jail time you might get and how high your insurance will jump if you hit a child at Thompson's corner just because you had the right of way!

Nothing against people crossimg, I just think having a pedestrian crossing at the entrance/exit to a roundabout is just asking for trouble.
    If a number of people start crossing at the same time then the whole junction can become blocked v quickly.

As for barrack st there is a crossing at shamrock sq

Nothing against people crossimg, I just think having a pedestrian crossing at the entrance/exit to a roundabout is just asking for trouble.
    If a number of people start crossing at the same time then the whole junction can become blocked v quickly.

As for barrack st there is a crossing at shamrock sq
    What is the only thing drivers are required to do at a roundabout? Yield! They must Yield right of way to those on the roundabout and also to pedestrians.

Maybe pedestrians.......dont jay walk , im only driving a year but one thing that scares me is the number of people who just decide "ah sure I ll cross here" and try walk through traffic often with kids in tow. I know all moterists are evil but if someone doesnt want to use a proper crossing maybe they deserve to be run over.

Anyway the problem with barrack st now is the only safe place to cross is shamrock sq but most people still want to cross at the bus park or carpenters. The road layout with a set of lights and 2 roundabouts in such a short stretch of road doesnt leave much room for a second crossing .

I prefer the roundabout to the lights that were there before . Hopefully once the road works are completed then things will settle down .

Maybe pedestrians.......dont jay walk , im only driving a year but one thing that scares me is the number of people who just decide "ah sure I ll cross here" and try walk through traffic often with kids in tow. I know all moterists are evil but if someone doesnt want to use a proper crossing maybe they deserve to be run over.

Anyway the problem with barrack st now is the only safe place to cross is shamrock sq but most people still want to cross at the bus park or carpenters. The road layout with a set of lights and 2 roundabouts in such a short stretch of road doesnt leave much room for a second crossing .

I prefer the roundabout to the lights that were there before . Hopefully once the road works are completed then things will settle down .

The crossings at the roundabout are proper pedestrian crossings with flashing amber lights to warn motorists, Maybe you should not be driving without supervision from a qualified driver? or maybe you should be banned from driving if you believe people deserve to be run over?

foggy_lad wrote: »

The crossings at the roundabout are proper pedestrian crossings with flashing amber lights to warn motorists, Maybe you should not be driving without supervision from a qualified driver? or maybe you should be banned from driving if you believe people deserve to be run over?

Think you took me wrong there. I was refering to people just walking out into the road not the crossing at the bus park .

Think you took me wrong there. I was refering to people just walking out into the road not the crossing at the bus park .
    I have been discussing the roundabout at the bus park and the new crossings associated with it, to say they are dangerous or a nuisance is only because they might slightly inconvenience drivers who do not have right of way at the roundabout anyway!

If a driver is any good at all he/she will be able to adjust their speed and position approaching roundabouts like this one so they negotiate them safely and without any need to swerve wildly or brake severely because if either action is required it is surely a sign the driver has serious vehicle control issues and needs retraining.

Without a doubt there are plenty of bad drivers out there. Go for a spin anywhwere and you ll see them . Only yesterday a kavanaghs bus overtook me on the 60kph stretch at the dolmen hotel, easily doing 80+ on the wrong side of the road. There are also plenty of safe drivers out there too.

Regarding the roundabout in question, hopefully once people get used to it things will settle down.

Its just my opinion that having pedestrian crossings at the entrance/exit of roundabouts in general is a bad idea. I ve seen people just start to walk straight across with even bothering to see if the road is safe to do so.

Both drivers and pedestrians need to be aware of each other and be careful.

Speaking of pedestrians being mowed down, a cyclist ploughed an old man out of it near the credit union last night by cycling on the footpath. Even they aren't safe it seems.

Without a doubt there are plenty of bad drivers out there. Go for a spin anywhwere and you ll see them . Only yesterday a kavanaghs bus overtook me on the 60kph stretch at the dolmen hotel, easily doing 80+ on the wrong side of the road. There are also plenty of safe drivers out there too.

Regarding the roundabout in question, hopefully once people get used to it things will settle down.

Its just my opinion that having pedestrian crossings at the entrance/exit of roundabouts in general is a bad idea. I ve seen people just start to walk straight across with even bothering to see if the road is safe to do so.

Both drivers and pedestrians need to be aware of each other and be careful.

Speaking of pedestrians being mowed down, a cyclist ploughed an old man out of it near the credit union last night by cycling on the footpath. Even they aren't safe it seems.
    I would rather be overtaken by the kavanagh's driver at any speed than some young know-it-all who failed the theory test but still driving the car daddy bought them showing off to their friends.

Dont get you there at all . A bus driver, speeding on the wrong side of the road , on a stretch of road thats claimed several lives doesnt bother you ? Ffs

• Advertisement

Dont get you there at all . A bus driver, speeding on the wrong side of the road , on a stretch of road thats claimed several lives doesnt bother you ? Ffs
    Years of experience versus some kid out for a joyride, a no-brainer really I'll go with experience every time where driving is concerned as long as drivers are sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Years of experience versus some kid out for a joyride, a no-brainer really I'll go with experience every time where driving is concerned as long as drivers are sober.

A bus driver that over took on the 60km/h stretch at the Dolmen Hotel didnt display much "Years of experience" seeing as it has a solid white line but even ignoring that the bus driver could have had just passed his test the day before, therefore having little or no experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

and a car will manoeuvre in far quicker than a bus if anything pulled out from the dolmen or a house there.

bloody dangerous for a bus to overtake there.

patrickc wrote: »
    and a car will manoeuvre in far quicker than a bus if anything pulled out from the dolmen or a house there.

Bus and truck drivers see a lot more from their elevated position than car drivers and are professionals who are used to anticipating the mistakes of the ordinary road user:)

patrickc wrote: »

Its a dodgy stretch for anyone to overtake let alone a bus driver. Dread to think what would ve happened if a car had come round the corner. If he had to pull in , he could ve ploughed me out of it .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

OK guys the original topic from the op was about roundabouts in Carlow lets try to keep it on topic please, motoring and learning to drive forums are there for the debate in regards driving skills of learner drivers and bus drivers
    Regards
    Tommy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Went through the Thompsons corner roundabout yesterday for the 1st time and it is a bit chaotic as most people approaching don't seem to have a clue about if there are pedestrian crossings there or not (goes for both motorists and pedestrians)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Putting in any new road system particularly a roundabout is always going to be chaotic but to do it in the run up to xmas with extra traffic on the road and people already flustered is just stupidity of the highest order and it feeds back into that stupid spend it or loose it mentality that goverment depts have to have at year end

tommycahir wrote: »
    Went through the Thompsons corner roundabout yesterday for the 1st time and it is a bit chaotic as most people approaching don't seem to have a clue about if there are pedestrian crossings there or not (goes for both motorists and pedestrians)
    They will be taking the old lights out and replacing them with new flashing pedestrian signals but for the moment to alleviate the congestion of opening up fairgreen the roundabout was rushed through for the Christmas period. it would take a lot longer to negotiate that junction if there was still traffic lights as well as pedestrian lights. Now they need another roundabout at the junction at Hanover road:D

• Advertisement

racso1975 wrote: »
    Putting in any new road system particularly a roundabout is always going to be chaotic but to do it in the run up to xmas with extra traffic on the road and people already flustered is just stupidity of the highest order and it feeds back into that stupid spend it or loose it mentality that goverment depts have to have at year end

Watched a bus trying to enter the bus park off it yesterday . It was very tight but that could just be down to the traffic cones.

I think the council has been very slow to alert people to the new junction layout. How much would a couple of "new junction layout ahead " signs have cost ?

At the same time something needed to be done about that particular junction in all fairness.

Now where else can we stick a new roundabout ?

Advertisement