Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another bloody roundabout...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bagenal

Owryan wrote: »
    Watched a bus trying to enter the bus park off it yesterday . It was very tight but that could just be down to the traffic cones.

I think the council has been very slow to alert people to the new junction layout. How much would a couple of "new junction layout ahead " signs have cost ?

At the same time something needed to be done about that particular junction in all fairness.

Now where else can we stick a new roundabout ?

Any money on the Shamrock Square being next ?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

Bagenal wrote: »
    Watched a bus trying to enter the bus park off it yesterday . It was very tight but that could just be down to the traffic cones.

I think the council has been very slow to alert people to the new junction layout. How much would a couple of "new junction layout ahead " signs have cost ?

At the same time something needed to be done about that particular junction in all fairness.

Now where else can we stick a new roundabout ?

Any money on the Shamrock Square being next ?:D

Wouldnt put it past them lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Wouldnt put it past them lol
    I hope they go for it in a roundabout way:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

I don't see why people complain about new roundabouts or junctions anyway.

There is nothing that could make the standard of driving in Carlow any worse.
    It's definitely the worst in Ireland from every other county I've experienced anyway.

SV wrote: »
    I don't see why people complain about new roundabouts or junctions anyway.

There is nothing that could make the standard of driving in Carlow any worse.
    It's definitely the worst in Ireland from every other county I've experienced anyway.

I find driving in kilkenny city much worse, those roundabouts (keeping on topicish) on the way in can be a nightmare with people just chancing it.

What I do hate about driving in carlow is people who wont give you a second to move off at a green light before they start beating on their car horn

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Clare is worse. There isn't much in it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 waytoowarm

first time through the round about today , have to say it works well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

I find driving in kilkenny city much worse, those roundabouts (keeping on topicish) on the way in can be a nightmare with people just chancing it.
    Have to disagree with this, I drive in Kilkenny every day, and if anything people are a little hesitant at those roundabouts. The traffic as you may have noticed also, generally moves quite well in Kilkenny.

waytoowarm wrote: »
    first time through the round about today , have to say it works well
    Yup, can never understand why people object to roundabouts, I'd take them over lights any day, much more efficient system of managing traffic at junctions like that, and generally lead to more free flowing traffic.

As mentioned above, one at Shamrock square would be great too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

PaulKK wrote: »
    Have to disagree with this, I drive in Kilkenny every day, and if anything people are a little hesitant at those roundabouts. The traffic as you may have noticed also, generally moves quite well in Kilkenny.

Yup, can never understand why people object to roundabouts, I'd take them over lights any day, much more efficient system of managing traffic at junctions like that, and generally lead to more free flowing traffic.

As mentioned above, one at Shamrock square would be great too.

No, the traffic in the mornings does not move so well in Kilkenny. I do welcome that new roundabout at the bus stop though, much quicker for me to get out, now if only they'd stick another one at the Kilkenny Road/ Burrin St. junction and at Barrick St./ Tullow St. junction we'd be laughing. Totally agree with you that roundabouts are a much more efficient system of managing traffic.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

No, the traffic in the mornings does not move so well in Kilkenny.
    Hmm, maybe you are in a different area or driving at a different time to me :)

now if only they'd stick another one at the Kilkenny Road/ Burrin St. junction and at Barrick St./ Tullow St. junction we'd be laughing.

Totally agree, no need for lights at those junctions, the volume of traffic could easily be handled by a well designed roundabout. Burrin St lights are particularly annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

bogof wrote: »
    Its lethal for pedestrians there at the moment ,especially at night. I can tell you all right now before they finalise the thing it will be a disaster . The lights for the three crossing places will cause havoc. I think there's room for another roundabout at the junction of Charlotte street and Tullow street

Looks like I was right. The lights are causing havoc at the moment . There is still quite a bit of work left to do so I'll reserve my final judgement.

Pedestrians wont use the lights at the new roundabout at the bus park because they are all too far off track for them! The only set that are on track are the ones down towards Carpenters but these are then useless if you want to go to the bus park or Woodies direction!

I also noticed the lights are causing more chaos than when there was none there at all so maybe proper Zebra crossings are needed with flashing orange lights and Cameras to catch motorists who don't stop for pedestrians!

try and avoid Barrack St these days, the new roundabout and crossings are an accident waiting to happen. I ve seen people trying to cross just yards from the lights but would rather risk walking into traffic than take a few steps to the crossings.

The amber lights were much better for the short while they were there imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

The main issue of concern so far are people who, say, are leaving carlow shopping centre and heading for aldi or woodies...both quick means for crossing in that direction are gone. People wont walk down towards carpenters to then go the opposite direction so they'll cross where the lights used to be and will likely end with in an accident

jpcarlow wrote: »
    The main issue of concern so far are people who, say, are leaving carlow shopping centre and heading for aldi or woodies...both quick means for crossing in that direction are gone. People wont walk down towards carpenters to then go the opposite direction so they'll cross where the lights used to be and will likely end with in an accident
    Another poor decision by Carlow planners!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

Their is a lot of talk going around that the next roundabout will be at Walls Forge at the function to Tullow on the Wexford road.
    Will be interesting to see when this will happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Barrack Street is a complete mess. That entire roundabout is just terrible. It didn't need changing, don't know why they did.

the roundabout is fine imo. its the lights and crossing points that are the problem, oh and the mini roundabout for tescos.

Speaking of roundabouts , spotted a car driving the wrong way on one of the motorway exits at Powerstown today. The car was trying to get onto the motorway via the off ramp for Carlow , pmsl.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

I came out of Tesco onto Barrack St last friday at 5:15 pm. There was a tailback all the way back up through the Shamrock Sq. Promote these people quick before they cause any more havoc.

• Advertisement

bogof wrote: »
    I came out of Tesco onto Barrack St last friday at 5:15 pm. There was a tailback all the way back up through the Shamrock Sq. Promote these people quick before they cause any more havoc.

Yea, same here. Its caused by the pedestrian lights though. Whats the story with them instantly changing when someone presses the button?!

I'm a big fan of the new roundabout at the junction with Kennedy avenue but the fact that there's 2 sets of lights at each side of it plus the annoying mini roundabout to go in to fair green makes it a complete mess.

The simple solution is to either time the pedestrian lights to wait a bit before they change (30 secs or whatever), and hence allow more than 1 person across for each red light, or else consolidate the pedestrian crossings into 1 crossing in the middle of Barrack Street.

The big problem on Friday was that there was a lot of pedestrians about, and the lights were more or less constantly red because they change as soon as the button is pressed.

I'd be in favour of of a roundabout at the Shamrock square junction too, you do not need lights there, a roundabout would be much better.

Look at Portlaoise, it works quite well over there.

There should be a delay built into the crossing lights to prevent them going red everytime they are pressed, give the traffic a chance to move and stop the drip feed of pedestrians crossing .

Tbh having just one crossing wont work, there are two and most people ignore them to cross wherever suits. There is no easy answer to Barrack st

The pedestrian crossings should be right at the roundabout and should be Zebra crossings with the flashing amber lights and should have Cameras trained at them to stop people in cars just driving through groups of people crossing the road.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/pedestrians/pedestrians_safe-crossing-places.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭nagero

foggy_lad wrote: »
    The pedestrian crossings should be right at the roundabout and should be Zebra crossings with the flashing amber lights and should have Cameras trained at them to stop people in cars just driving through groups of people crossing the road.

http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-for-pedestrians-cyclists-motorcyclists/pedestrians/pedestrians_safe-crossing-places.html

Right at the roundabout is downright dangerous (IMHO) as the driver's attention has just been focused on looking right.

The positioning is ok, they'll need barriers to funnel people to them and they should move to amber flashing after about 30 secs like the one between Aldi and Woodies

i ve never heard of drivers driving through groups of people crossing the road. never read about it in any of the local papers either.

must keep an eye out for bodies strewn about the junction next time im driving that way .

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭iTom

Just heard this morning that their is another roundabout going in at the entrance to Ken Blacks on the Wexford rd that will be two within a few hundred yards of each other.

iTom wrote: »
    Just heard this morning that their is another roundabout going in at the entrance to Ken Blacks on the Wexford rd that will be two within a few hundred yards of each other.

Ah FFS , is that just to please a few shoppers ? stupid decision and location

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Ah FFS , is that just to please a few shoppers ? stupid decision and location

I actually agree with the council for once for putting a roundabout there!
    I can't even begin to estimate the amount of times I have been driving out that road and some muppet just decides to stop to turn right or fails to pull sufficiently to the left to turn into that business park.

The way that it stands today it is only a matter of time before somebody else gets killed at that location with people not using indicators in time, not pulling sufficiently over to the left\right to turn off! Never mind the recklessness of some people that are trying to pull out from either the business park or blackbog road!

nagero wrote: »
    Right at the roundabout is downright dangerous (IMHO) as the driver's attention has just been focused on looking right.

The positioning is ok, they'll need barriers to funnel people to them and they should move to amber flashing after about 30 secs like the one between Aldi and Woodies

Drivers just ignore pedestrians as it is and having the crossings as proper zebra crossings with flashing amber globes would mean they have to watch out for the pedestrians or face massive insurance claims and/or jail. Barriers at that junction will not work because of the volumes of pedestrian traffic, most young lads and wans will just jump the barriers, it works well where there are only a few people but with the busiest pedestrian junction in the town and one that leads directly to Fairgreen SC for most teenagers it is only a matter of time before there is another tragedy at that junction with the current crossing layout!

Move the crossings right up to the roundabout and make them Zebra crossings so that the impact to traffic is minimized as the cars don't have to wait on lights to change.

Make it the drivers responsibility to watch where they are going and to stop when pedestrians are on the crossings, it is not like anyone will be going very fast there anyway! Zebra crossings mean traffic is only stopped while people are crossing meaning a better flow of both traffic and pedestrians!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

The problem out at Black's on the Wexford road is that the speed limit stupidly increases to 100 before the junction for the business park and not after it.

Thus, people who speed up before the business park entrance are annoyed by people looking to slow down and find the entrance to the business park and even though i'm used to it it does come up very quickly. There really isn't room to pull in to the left there although there is room to pull over to the right if you are going right to Ballinacarrig.

Also i've found that people see ken black's from the road and slow because they think there is an entrance from the wexford road as Black's looks as if it's fronted onto the road and not in a park.

Advertisement