Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another bloody roundabout...

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

Barriers will cause more accidents. For example when coming out of Tesco and turning left towards town at Hoseys junction .. I've had dozens of near misses with people dashing out from behind the barriers .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

Owryan wrote: »
    the roundabout is fine imo. its the lights and crossing points that are the problem, oh and the mini roundabout for tescos.

That needs to be there or there will be huge hold ups

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

tommycahir wrote: »
    I actually agree with the council for once for putting a roundabout there!
    I can't even begin to estimate the amount of times I have been driving out that road and some muppet just decides to stop to turn right or fails to pull sufficiently to the left to turn into that business park.

The way that it stands today it is only a matter of time before somebody else gets killed at that location with people not using indicators in time, not pulling sufficiently over to the left\right to turn off! Never mind the recklessness of some people that are trying to pull out from either the business park or blackbog road!

So you're saying to totally dumb proof all roads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

That needs to be there or there will be huge hold ups

or else get rid of that entrance like it was originally

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

Owryan wrote: »
    or else get rid of that entrance like it was originally

I wouldnt get rid of that entrance at all - the traffic that used to come in to the Fairgreen from the KFC direction used be horrendous at times.

The thing about the mini roundabout at the barrack street entrance is that if people actually understood the rules, there wouldn't be a problem - some people cant seem to comprehend how to use a roundabout. Would be interesting if these people ever went to walkinstown or similar......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

So you're saying to totally dumb proof all roads?
    Proper driver education with continuous re-validations at specific intervals is the only solution but I digress off topic (driver education is much more suited to other forums)
    back on topic ->
    No, it was a bit of a rant really as that specific junction really gets on my nerves. over the weekend I had to brake hard passing that junction twice as drivers came from blackbog road onto the main road and either continued driving on hard shoulder towards town or crossed over and headed towards wexford..
    alproctor wrote: »
    I wouldnt get rid of that entrance at all - the traffic that used to come in to the Fairgreen from the KFC direction used be horrendous at times.

The thing about the mini roundabout at the barrack street entrance is that if people actually understood the rules, there wouldn't be a problem - some people cant seem to comprehend how to use a roundabout. Would be interesting if these people ever went to walkinstown or similar......

or to Swindon and it's magic roundabout... ;)
    swindon.jpg
    single most horrendous roundabout I have ever been on..

I completely agree though that the Barrack St entrance is badly needed and for years I couldn't understand why it was there but never being used..

is that 5 mini roundabouts on another larger one?? :eek::eek::eek:

haha bloody hell.....

The thing about it is, that it's most likely straightforward if you just deal with one at a time when driving through it....

There's 2 mini roundabouts right on top of each other in Portlaoise, and it's the same thing - just deal with the one you're on/approaching before you worry (too much) about the next one.

and if i'm reading the road markings correctly, you drive around the larger one anti-clockwise - can see how that would cause problems alright!!!

how was that ever designed, let alone constructed...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

is that 5 mini roundabouts on another larger one?? :eek::eek::eek:

haha bloody hell.....

The thing about it is, that it's most likely straightforward if you just deal with one at a time when driving through it....

There's 2 mini roundabouts right on top of each other in Portlaoise, and it's the same thing - just deal with the one you're on/approaching before you worry (too much) about the next one.
    it is probably excellent if you know where you are going and which exit you need to take and are capable of driving and reading traffic signs at the same time, sadly very few Irish drivers are competent enough to drive at a reasonable speed and follow sign to their destination without having to slow right down and double check all the signs and turns they take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

and if i'm reading the road markings correctly, you drive around the larger one anti-clockwise - can see how that would cause problems alright!!!

how was that ever designed, let alone constructed...
    The strange anti clockwise direction is to cater for the two larger 3 lane roads which cross this junction, obviously it is designed to get most traffic through the junction as quickly as possible and if you need one of the 4 other smaller roads you just follow the roundabouts in a clockwise direction until you get to your chosen exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Foggy has hit it on he head actually with regards the "magic roundabout"

Now back on topic..

When is the roundabout at tompsons corner going to be completed? It's going on for 3 months at this stage..

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Like we needed another roundabout for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭bogof

tommycahir wrote: »
    Foggy has hit it on he head actually with regards the "magic roundabout"

Now back on topic..

When is the roundabout at tompsons corner going to be completed? It's going on for 3 months at this stage..
    Give them a break, there's a whole tranche of taxpayers money to be used up.
    There will be great sport when the M9 closes.

Advertisement