Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

adhd

Options
  • 13-12-2011 2:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

hi

i was wondering if they were any one on this with a child who has adhd??

i have a 7yr old with it he is diagnoised b4 you ask :)

would appricate any tips ect

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 crofty28

Hi Anne, I have a 9 yr old with adhd, aspergers & odd... & its not an easy road. The best advice I ever got was 2 take 1 day at a time. I used 2 get so upset & worried about the future & realised that I needed to spend more time changing what I can about 2day.. & it really helps. SNA in school is fantastic. as is support & respite from great friends & family. PM me for any other help or advice & good luck, the fact that u posted shows how much u care about & want 2 help your child, which means your child will already be at a clear advantage : )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Before my eyes start bleeding please read the section in the Charter about text speak.

I will delete subsequent posts that use 2 for 'to' or 'too' or 'to'day. Same goes for 4 - before is the word. It's only 3 extra keys. You is only 2 more keys than u also.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Many parents find Omega oils a help. Diet, is of course, crucial. Have you informed the school?

You may find him disorganised, in which case visual checklists help. A see -through pencil case with not too many items in it makes it easier for a child to select the items needed in school as needed. Colour code schools books with stickers on the spines, so all Irish books will have red stickers, maths blue and so on. Break homework into smaller chunks and allow movement breaks every so often.

Hobbies that allow him work off excessive energy such as athletics, football, hurling etc. will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭bfocusd

I don't know a lot about ADHD but does diet play a big part?

My siblings friend has been diagnosed with it, but one thing I noticed is his diet is atrocious, he won't eat any vegetables except chips, and fruit he's the same. He insists he's allergic to onions, but eats them in McDonald's burgers?!

If it isn't ready made he wont eat it, or if it can't be cooked in a microwave.. We home cook almost everything, he won't eat anything we have, but now my sibling wants the same fast food as it's all they eat in his mates.

Op is your child getting all the nutrition or picky eating?

As I said I don't know a lot about it, but from knowing this lad I think his diet plays a part with it, hes constantly restless and ive often had to stop him wrestling my sibling, he was once strangling him and wouldn't let go. He's a lovely lad but I think if he had better nutrition and wasn't pumped with additives and sugar etc.

Advertisement