Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latest large spam attacks - can anything be done at all?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

is it just me or is the spam getting worse

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭darjeeling

Raphael wrote: »
    A trick I've used in the past is to have a question that is obvious and easy for a person to answer, but not for a spambot - something like, "Which eye is bigger on face in the boards.ie logo" If correct answer is given, registration proceeds.

I did the same thing, and it worked.

On a fairly small website for a club, around 5 spammers a day were getting past the optical 'captcha' software (the number had gone up sharply, probably due to improved OCR software). When I switched to a question that only a real person would be able to answer, with the answer obviously visible on the site, the number of spammer registrations dropped to zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

WIZE wrote: »
    If you mean this week, not necessarily - it is simply that many people are away from their normal routine and not posting as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,349 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

WIZE wrote: »

The smart spam arrived

When will we see a fix for this spam?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Has a tactic such as using a plugin that cross-references new registrations against a communal database such as StopForumSpam.com not been used?

• Advertisement
Advertisement