Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money worries!!

Options
  • 13-12-2011 10:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hi guys,

Just need some advice re spending money. I am off to Oz in March and I will have 4k saved by end of Dec. Between more saving and a wee loan im hoping to have 9k going. I will be travelling for 4 weeks before I settle - that will include 3 weeks travelling the east coast. I plan to budget 3-4k for the travelling over 3 weeks, do you think this will be enough? Also any advice from anyone who has travelled the east coast much appreciated - ie ways to make it cheaper ;)

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 fine soft day

Hi

I travelled the east coast on a shoestring budget a few years back. 3 -4 K will be loads to get you through three weeks. I saved money on the deals available for the various activities. For example i booked a 3 day trip on fraser island and a sailing trip on the whitsundays together which saved a considerable amount, there was a also a couple of nights in a hostel before and after thrown in with this package. So i would be on the lookout for deals like this. I also bought a tent and camped for the whole trip. This saved money as allmost every hostel has an adjoining campsite. I also saved money by doing all my own cooking in the Hostels/campsites. If your going out drinking most of the spots on the east coast will have backpacker stuff on with loads of cheap alcohol to be had!

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

5k aud for 3 weeks is an alot of money. Hardly a worry. Unless your planning on staying in hotels for the 3 weeks? And drinking almost every night?
    Stay in Hostels. You'll get the backpacker experience and meet alot of people. And probably still have a nice chunk of the 5k aud left after it.

Edit : Forgot to mention re the above post, If your doing the tourist trails. Book via a travel company. I did it through Peter Pan Tours. http://www.peterpans.com.au/ Although companies like these are plentiful in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Carlosd

Make sure to check the exchange rate your bank offers with someone like currency.ie in Dublin , you should get a better exchange rate,

That sounds like plenty for traveling , don't waste too much time in cairns, there's nothing to do but booze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 lou044

hey you have lots of money- don't worry. If you want to cut down on your costs and meet some locals sign up to Help Exchange www.helpx.net or WWOOF www.wwoof.org. Once you sign up you can browse through thousands of Australian hosts and you can stay with hosts in exchange for 4 hour work a day (usually easy outdoor work)- and they will give you meals! It's a great way to see a country and save on food and accomodation...some of the best experiences I had travelling were through these organisations- some hosts are great and will show you local sights and attractions. If you WWOOF while you travel you can usually get hosts to sign off on some of your 3 months regional work needed to get a 2nd year working holiday visa..which is nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Balobas87

Hi all thanks a mill for all your replies. Oh we will most def be staying in hostels - we were thinking of hiring out a camper van for the coast, have any of you done this or know of anyone that has and rough idea of cheapish costs. Thinking of weighing up the balance and we would probably be handier getting the greyhound.

Im going to budget 3000 euro for this stretch...I hope its enough, I am planning on settling in perth so I want to keep enough money for a bond and rent when I get there, although I shouldnt be too stuck for the first while, as I have relations there. Just hope I get a job!

Anyway,will worry about that later, just needing to sort out the east coast route first

• Advertisement
Advertisement