Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

another estrumate query!

• 13-12-2011 11:11am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭

Hi Lads,
    I've searched through archive posts ans getting different opinions on this, say i injected a heifer last saturday 10th, do i need to give her another shot at 11 days? when will she come in heat?

Also anyone want to recommend an AI bull that would cross well with a quality red Lim, feel free to give me your opinions.preferable one with Munster
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

you injected her on saturday, so really she should be in heat today... if no heat inject again next tuesday, if no heat then get her handled by vet, am no use to you on what straw to use

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

jfh wrote: »
    Hi Lads,
    I've searched through archive posts ans getting different opinions on this, say i injected a heifer last saturday 10th, do i need to give her another shot at 11 days? when will she come in heat?

Also anyone want to recommend an AI bull that would cross well with a quality red Lim, feel free to give me your opinions.preferable one with Munster
    thanks
    jfh,
    in short if she wasnt on heat then yes,
    folllowing the second shot heat will occur within 48 to 96 h or you could just leave her and she will come on heat anyway

if your going lim again adx or vvi arent too bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

were going to go with simmental on limo and limo on sim x. heifers then blues on any cows that can take them. limo cross sim heifers make great replacements and the bulls still have enough style and weight to sell well. was going to chance blues on the heifers but decided againsst the risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

flatout11 wrote: »
    folllowing the second shot heat will occur within 48 to 96 h or you could just leave her and she will come on heat anyway

This is broadly my understanding.
    Observe for 7 days, no heat seen. Inj 2cc Estrumate 10th Dec. Many will come bulling in 4/5 days. If not bulling, inj again 21st or 24th and she should be in 48/72 hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭roosky

hi im studying this in college at the min and according to my notes
    inject her and breed her/re-inject on day 11....so in your case she wasnt at the right stage of her cycle(d 0-4) so you inject her on day 11 again...after the second injection of pg she will show heat in 2-4 days

on the ai front i think ya have to look at whats making money which is the quality ashey charlaois calf.... so do what we done take your good lim cow and cross her to a good ch bull and give the buyer what he wants !!!

http://www.munsterai.ie/sires.php?breed=CH

• Advertisement

Bizzum wrote: »
    This is broadly my understanding.
    Observe for 7 days, no heat seen. Inj 2cc Estrumate 10th Dec. Many will come bulling in 4/5 days. If not bulling, inj again 21st or 24th and she should be in 48/72 hours.
    in that case you would reinject on the 21st, there are a number of options with it especially if your doing large numbers (just to reduce costs) and other varying regimes such as ovsynch etc (using receptal aswell) but the standard one is the 11 day regime (keep it simple), if its heifers you can get away with 1cc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭jfh

1chippy wrote: »
    were going to go with simmental on limo and limo on sim x. heifers then blues on any cows that can take them. limo cross sim heifers make great replacements and the bulls still have enough style and weight to sell well. was going to chance blues on the heifers but decided againsst the risk.

yeah i'm a fan of the simm so might try is4 or S628 CAIRNVIEW SNAZZY any preferences

in that case you would reinject on the 21st, there are a number of options with it especially if your doing large numbers (just to reduce costs) and other varying regimes such as ovsynch etc (using receptal aswell) but the standard one is the 11 day regime (keep it simple), if its heifers you can get away with 1cc

yeah the estramate is expensive, wouldn't want to be doing a lot, didn't realise 1cc would do the trick
    i paid 15 for 2cc , that sounds dear to me.

there is a cheaper alternative, prosolven(sp) works the same at half the price:)

yeah the estramate is expensive, wouldn't want to be doing a lot, didn't realise 1cc would do the trick
    i paid 15 for 2cc , that sounds dear to me.
    that sounds rough

• Advertisement

With our Vet, Estrumate and Prosolvin are the same price. €35 for the 10cc bottle. That is €7 a head!
    So €15 is too much to be paying for a shot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Not too up to the mark on the different animals with ai (usually use limo stock bull) but i like the look of curaheen apostle a test sire with progressive. We got ai for a couple last year trying to match cows to set bulls and so far so good so intend using a lot more from here on in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Dunedin

whelan1 wrote: »
    there is a cheaper alternative, prosolven(sp) works the same at half the price:)

I used prosolven last year. 5 heifers, 5 injections, 5 on heat after 3 days. :D:D

Dunedin wrote: »
    whelan1 wrote: »

I used prosolven last year. 5 heifers, 5 injections, 5 on heat after 3 days. :D:D
    good success rate there, my heifer still hasn't come bulling. shes in slatted house with cows. might forget the ai and let her out the field with bull.

good success rate there, my heifer still hasn't come bulling. shes in slatted house with cows. might forget the ai and let her out the field with bull.
    is there a chance she is already in calf? if not estrumate her again omn the 11 days.... did you tail paint her?

you can run into another problem there, it can happen that a smaller animal wont stand on slats when penned with larger stock - parrlty afraid of getting hurt also they tend to stand for shorter periods on slats - may or may not be the case

you can run into another problem there, it can happen that a smaller animal wont stand on slats when penned with larger stock - parrlty afraid of getting hurt also they tend to stand for shorter periods on slats - may or may not be the case

This is what came to my mind too. Also it's not always a size issue, I've seen smallish heifers with big attitudes, but it could well be the case of the cows holding sway over the heifer on slats.
    How long is she on slats?

shes on slats about 5 weeks.
    estramate instructions were to inject into the muscle, injected under the skin.
    do you think that makes a difference.
    that goes for all types of injections, does it make a difference ?

shes on slats about 5 weeks.
    estramate instructions were to inject into the muscle, injected under the skin.
    do you think that makes a difference.
    that goes for all types of injections, does it make a difference ?
    typical man read the instructions after:D
    yes thats where you fooked up, do her in to the muscle on the 11 days

really that was it. never paid much heed to injections. have learned a lesson!

• Advertisement
Advertisement