Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Fighting Game Community and Esports at large.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Couldn't read them all- in work- but the bits I did, Ultradavid has a tear in my eye :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Ultradavid article was incredible.

BUUUUT other than that... lol America :pac:

*edit*
    One good thing these articles did though:
    I bought Ponder a beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Gotta catch up with this a little later on.

Initially, I don't understand the big deal. eSports has always just been a term for me (nice, short and buzz word worthy) for competitive gaming. It doesn't have structure, isn't official, isn't recognised and doesn't have any rules or guidelines. Any "eSports" tournament can put a game into its lineup and suddenly it becomes part of the circle.

I would honestly like some structure and a worthy list of "eSports" titles that become part and parcel of tournaments.

The funny thing is people saying that FGC can learn from eSports. It certainly can - but most of it is what not to do...eSports orgs have gone bust very quickly because they want the $1m tournament instantly. FGC has grown organically and steadily - to the point where the bigger tournaments are very official and even the small ones have certain expectations.

FGC can teach more to "eSports" orgs than vice versa in my opinion...But as I say, I must catch up with the debate. A little ridiculous on first glance - mainly because of people suddenly taking eSports as something official, recognised and / or structured.

🤪

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Sabre0001 wrote: »

FGC can teach more to "eSports" orgs than vice versa in my opinion...But as I say, I must catch up with the debate. A little ridiculous on first glance - mainly because of people suddenly taking eSports as something official, recognised and / or structured.

From what I can see, it's not really the concept of eSports itse'f the trouble is with, more the practical implementation of MLG that's causing the furore. They're saying the removal of the production of FG tournaments from people who care about FGs as opposed to the bottom line will be doomed to failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

http://tv.majorleaguegaming.com/

Slasher gonna be having a conversation with Spooky about this topic in a few minutes on this stream.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭the 1st hardter

Man after reading these all I can say is this is going to explode next year I say. When MLG makes it new leagues (MW3 replacing Black Ops, New Counter Strike) I can see some people shouting for SF4 and others trying to keep it out.

All i can say is this, 2012 will be a year the FGC will never forget

Advertisement