Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to stop dog doing his business in garden?

• 13-12-2011 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

Neighbours dog is constantly doing it in my garden and then digging up the grass afterwards..any ideas how to stop this??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Lombardo86

<mod snip> There will be no recommendations to kick anything round here

I wouldnt be having that. Either that or say it to his owners.. make them clean it up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭BobMc

I'd be collecting and returning to doorstep of said owner, after that then I'd be kickin the dogs ares as well !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I believe if you put a 2 litre bottle of water in each corner of your garden it puts them off doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭reeta

Had similiar problem last year, Homebase do pellets (sorry cant remember name - but bright green in colour) which you spread over the grass. It certainly stopped my neighbours dog doing his business in our garden. Very effective...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

OP Maybe try posting here

Animals & Pet Issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Spread some White Pepper around the grass.

When (if) we get a few dry days preferably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

Airsoft! I like prefer my AK47
    It works and is great craic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

The pellets bought to stop cats and dogs from soiling would get kind of expensive if using long term, plus when it rains not sure if their effectiveness
    is reduced. I don't have any personal experience with them but I've been told
    by other people that they wont work after it rains and they dont often get
    good results. (ie waste of money)

Pepper suggestions I think its more or less an old wives tale than practical.
    Not sure about dogs, but its not affective against cats (I've nine cats that could not give a toss about all the pepper in the world) and dogs could not give a fiddlers about it nither.

Airsoft suggestion, I reckon you'd be crucified for suggesting anything like that, over on that section of boards, its bad enough people into the sport trying to justify its very existence and warning people NOT to do this very thing! to have an owner of such device suggest shooting an animal with one would set the animal cruelty brigade off too.

I'd get into the habit of running or chasing the dog away anytime its spotted in the garden. It might associate the behavior of him/her ****ting in your garden as bad and not come near your property.
    (That plan might back fire on you if the Dog is attention starved though where it may see any attention Good or Bad as just attention and park itself in your garden night noon and morning)

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Lombardo86 wrote: »
    <mod snip> There will be no recommendations to kick anything round here

Well, that fcuks my second recommendation so :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

If you know who is the owner, bag it up with a helpful note explaining that they forgot their dog poop and deposit it in their letter box.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

padma wrote: »
    I believe if you put a 2 litre bottle of water in each corner of your garden it puts them off doing it

I'd love to know the psychology behind that but it does work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭godfrey

You can buy an electronic device which emits a very high frequency sound which dogs hate. I bought 2 in Jack Fitzgeralds on Lower Shannon St and they work very well.

g

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Agent_99

reeta wrote: »
    Had similiar problem last year, Homebase do pellets (sorry cant remember name - but bright green in colour) which you spread over the grass. It certainly stopped my neighbours dog doing his business in our garden. Very effective...

788069.jpg

This worked for me. You can get it the pet shops or some Woodies B&Q etc

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

A clove of garlic once a week. Just break it up and throw it around your garden, it works for my grandparents.

Advertisement