Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Senator Looking into Ireland getting unused E3 Visas

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,022 ✭✭✭✭cena

Harpy wrote: »
    http://www.examiner.ie/world/senator-fights-to-get-us-work-visas-for-irish-177052.html

Not sure if this has been discussed ..This could be interesting, i know its early days and i don't know what the time line is if it gets passsed in the senate how long before people could start applying but at least its a little bit of hope.. fingers crossed

I would if this went ahead. Love to be able to work in the states

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 noclue1

Sounds promising, to be fair our government should be pushing for this as a natural aid to some of our unemployment woes. A 5hr-6hr trip to the North America is less of wrench both culturally and physically than a 24hour trip to the other side of the globe to AUS/NZ. At least in North America two trips home a year is a possibility

Anyone have any idea on the length of time to this could take to become 'real' or as I suspect is it a bit of politicking on the part of some US senators to tap into the Irish vote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

noclue1 wrote: »

Anyone have any idea on the length of time to this could take to become 'real' or as I suspect is it a bit of politicking on the part of some US senators to tap into the Irish vote?

It's impossible to say, it could be in the region of 2 years or so if at all. I don't understand why you can't get a greencard out of it though. It's odd, effectively E3 visas are de-facto greencards so why couldn't people just upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

I suspect it is politicking, but you never know. Unlikely for anything to happen until after the elections, so at least 1 year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

It's impossible to say, it could be in the region of 2 years or so if at all. I don't understand why you can't get a greencard out of it though. It's odd, effectively E3 visas are de-facto greencards so why couldn't people just upgrade.

E3 is not a greencard though, you have to prove an ongoing business every renewal and there's a big issue with children as once they turn 21 they age out and must leave or get status in their own right. You can get a green card through employmeny sponsorship but it is not guaranteed by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭little lady

E3 is not a greencard though, you have to prove an ongoing business every renewal and there's a big issue with children as once they turn 21 they age out and must leave or get status in their own right. You can get a green card through employmeny sponsorship but it is not guaranteed by any means.

But if you are living and working in the US for five years can you not apply for citizenship on this Visa??

No, you can only apply for citizenship after 5 years as a permanent resident (i.e. green card holder). This is reduced to 3 years if you received your green card through marriage. E3, H1b, J1 are all non-immigrant visas.

It says that the E3 visas were given to Australia for their support in the Gulf War.

Maybe give the states greater use of Shannon Airport?

Perhaphs Ireland should drop our neutrality stance and declare ourselves a full ally of America and GB?

Could Ireland even join NATO?

If any of these would allow me to travel to the states on a work visa, I'm all for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

That's not exactly what I asked though :D. It was more of a rhetorical question. I was pointing out that it's quite strange that you can't get a greencard out of it. Surely legally employed professionals on E3 visas are better for the US than just giving out loads of greencards in the DV lottery willy nilly.

The US has always had a family based immigration system rather than employment based. Immediate relatives of any US citizen are guaranteed a green card. Although changing that situation would seem to make sense it would be deeply unpopular among many ordinary people (especially Hispanics).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

Haven't won a green card in almost nine years..would like the chance to get in on an E3 visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭rockonollie

unfortunately many of these bills are PR tools that never really go anywhere.......senetors propose bills that gain themselves support in their electoral area but right now, with unemployment so high.....it's hard to see many politicians supporting a bill that would crowd the market even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭Harpy

Here's some more on this:

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/New-move-means-Irish-E3-visa-bill-now-likely-to-pass-senate-138470709.html
    Thats from february 1 st which looked promising

and this is from monday
    http://www.irishcentral.com/news/GOP-Senator-Scott-Brown-now-the-key-figure-in-Irish-E3-visa-battle-138769794.html

Seems to be this grassley character that is still moaning about it

If this does go ahead when will the likley date for these visas be?
    Are we talking years or months after its passed?

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Darren1o1

If this does go ahead when will the likley date for these visas be?
    Are we talking years or months after its passed?

If the articles are true, it should be a short turnaround since there is already a system setup up for E3 visas. Months I would imagine, but that is speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Iang87

http://irishecho.com/?p=71868

E3 backers will try again for visa bill

News & Views | By Ray O'Hanlon | May 23rd, 2012
    It has ganrnered bipartisan support, but not quite enough to date on the Senate Republican side.
    Nevertheless, supporters of an E3 visa bill for the Irish are still hoping for a positive result before the current Congress adjourns for elections.
    But any progress towards firm legislation now means a new standalone measure with House support and no holds on any House-approved bill that reaches the Senate.

At least its still being talked about which is something

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soirish

This is back on the agenda
    Irish workers may get access to thousands of US visas after 'E3 Bill' passed by House of Representatives

The US House of Representatives has passed a bill that may see thousands of new visas issued to Irish citizens every year.

The E-3 work visa, a 2-year renewable visa that is currently reserved for Australian nationals only, would be issued to Irish citizens from the remainder of unused visas offered to Australians.

Some 10,500 E-3 visas are offered to Australians who wish to work in America every year, and if the bill receives Senate approval, up to 5,000 Irish citizens will be eligible for the scheme.

The bill was unanimously passed by the House of Representatives during a debate in Congress last night, the Bill must now be approved by the US Senate.

Republican Congressman Jim Sensenbrenner, who sponsored the bill alongside Democrat Richard Neal, said the passing of the bill would add to the "great legacy" between Ireland and the States.

"The United States was built on hard work and the determination of immigrants -many of them who hail from Ireland. Through their perseverance, they have enabled this country to grow and prosper," he said.

"I believe in the value and opportunity that comes with legal immigration. I am pleased to have authored this legislation to make the process more efficient for one of our oldest allies, and add to the great legacy of cultural diversity celebrated our country."

According to Mr Sensenbrenner, applicants outside the US will be able to apply directly at a US consulate, to lengthy processing times with US citizenship and immigration services.

He added that the visa would benefit both Irish and American citizens, including American citizens who wish to "retire" to Ireland with the Department of Justice currently looking to change the criteria needed for US retirees.

"This significant addition to the U.S. immigration system will not only benefit Irish nationals seeking employment in the United States, but also ease restrictions on Americans wanting to live or retire in Ireland."

The visa allows spouses of recipients to work in America, but not their children. Applicants must be employed in a speciality occupation, have necessary credentials and receive a legitimate offer of employment to apply.
    https://www.independent.ie/world-news/north-america/irish-workers-may-get-access-to-thousands-of-us-visas-after-e3-bill-passed-by-house-of-representatives-37577111.html

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Last time this was teased was 7 years ago. Anybody here up-to-date with US politics? What's the chances this gets implemented?
    Applicants must be employed in a speciality occupation, have necessary credentials and receive a legitimate offer of employment to apply

That part will be a road block for most in anything but highly skilled work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭él statutorio

If it makes it through the Senate it's a done deal.

It'll probably make it through too. Despite all the immigrant hysteria we're still viewed as "good" immigrants.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,157 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

statutorio wrote: »

It'll probably make it through too. Despite all the immigrant hysteria we're still viewed as "good" immigrants.

Millions of Irish immigrants over a century. Their children and grandchildren often call themselves Irish Americans today. They vote. Voting may influence
    Senate. 2020 elections.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,242 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

jme2010 wrote: »
    Last time this was teased was 7 years ago. Anybody here up-to-date with US politics? What's the chances this gets implemented?

That part will be a road block for most in anything but highly skilled work.
    statutorio wrote: »

On the face of it the Irish are exactly the type the current administration would have no real issue with letting in.

It's an interesting one.
    I was over there on a H1B years ago but came home as it was not the type of place I would like to raise a family
    If this came along I might try my hand at it and go over again for a few years and help clear down the mortgage here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

It needs unanimous consent as it's lame duck session in the Senate until January.

Reading about some of the experiences of the Aussies using it, it seems to be one of the easier visas for employers to get. Downsides are that it's tied to employer (changing employer means getting a new visa) and there's no path to a green card with it.

Advertisement