Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Astec Alarm - Self-service or Engineer

Options
  • 13-12-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a quick query - we have an Astec alarm - prob serviced by an engineer about 1.5 years ago.

Last night and yesterday morning we had the alarm go off - reset it and it was reporting a downstairs sensor as being the trigger point.

My question is - is this something I can self-service and what should I check for or do I need to get in an Engineer?

Thinking self-service for now due to proximity to Christmas but will get engineer if we have to.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

Does self-service = give it a good old kick?! :D

May not necessarily be a sensor issue but a dodgy door/window etc. if you know what I mean, but I presume you've ruled that out. Will leave it to experts here on specific sensor advice but might be worth giving more info -> e.g. has the same sensor been repeatedly setting the alarm off when it's set etc. Is it for a door that's getting rattled by the recent winds?...

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Does self-service = give it a good old kick?! :D

May not necessarily be a sensor issue but a dodgy door/window etc. if you know what I mean, but I presume you've ruled that out. Will leave it to experts here on specific sensor advice but might be worth giving more info -> e.g. has the same sensor been repeatedly setting the alarm off when it's set etc. Is it for a door that's getting rattled by the recent winds?...

not quite that .....

by self service - I meant air jets to clean out sensors etc. I've checked doors etc and all look fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,719 ✭✭✭✭altor

It could be just a random activation. Was it windy, anything banging off the window that would of set it off

If it does happen again It would be no harm to get some one to have a look at it. Better to have an installer test it than a burglar :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Ifah, do you have the use of a multi meter? Easy to identify a faulty sensor if you do.

KoolKid wrote: »
    Ifah, do you have the use of a multi meter? Easy to identify a faulty sensor if you do.
    I could get one. How do I test them?
    Ta

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If there are EOL resistors used disconnect them & close off across the last sensor. Disconnect that zone in the panel & connect to a lenght of cable long enough to reach all windows on that zone. Connect the other end of the cable to your meter leads & set your meter to read continuity.
    Make a note of the initial reading & tap each sensor a few times. The readings should always return to the same value. Any change over a few ohms then change that sensor. After you find a fault disconnect & close off that sensor & check everything else. Bear in mind there may be more than one.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭MrThrifty

KoolKid wrote: »
    If there are EOL resistors used disconnect them & close off across the last sensor. Disconnect that zone in the panel & connect to a lenght of cable long enough to reach all windows on that zone. Connect the other end of the cable to your meter leads & set your meter to read continuity.
    Make a note of the initial reading & tap each sensor a few times. The readings should always return to the same value. Any change over a few ohms then change that sensor. After you find a fault disconnect & close off that sensor & check everything else. Bear in mind there may be more than one.

Christ, I'd never want to question KoolKid or Altor on this forum, but... :o

Would it not be easier to just open each sensor on the faulty zone, disconnect the power and signal wires and then probe the resistance across the signal terminals with a multimeter while doing the tapping test? That would not involve opening the panel and would identify a faulty sensor rather than potentially a dodgy wire connection or cable (unlikely I know but still a possibility). By signal wires I mean the contact ones (blue/yellow) - can't remember what they're referred to as!

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if it's an issue with shock sensors but can spiders using them as homes cause false alarms?! I don't mean through vibrations but just their presence on the circuit board etc.

Edit: Final thought, I've presumed the OP had an issue with an inertia contact sensor here... Could be a glass break sensor etc.
    Final final thought. Only need to disconnect one of the power wires (say black) and one of the signal wires (either). No risk of blowing fuses or damaging the sensor with floating wires that way!!

MrThrifty wrote: »
    Christ, I'd never want to question KoolKid or Altor on this forum, but... :o

Would it not be easier to just open each sensor on the faulty zone, disconnect the power and signal wires and then probe the resistance across the signal terminals with a multimeter while doing the tapping test? That would not involve opening the panel and would identify a faulty sensor rather than potentially a dodgy wire connection or cable (unlikely I know but still a possibility). By signal wires I mean the contact ones (blue/yellow) - can't remember what they're referred to as!

Oh yeah, I'm not sure if it's an issue with shock sensors but can spiders using them as homes cause false alarms?! I don't mean through vibrations but just their presence on the circuit board etc.

Edit: Final thought, I've presumed the OP had an issue with an inertia contact sensor here... Could be a glass break sensor etc.
    Final final thought. Only need to disconnect one of the power wires (say black) and one of the signal wires (either). No risk of blowing fuses or damaging the sensor with floating wires that way!!

Cant always be right MrThrifty so if you ever feel the need to question, dont hesitate :D

The handiest way I find is with two people, one at the control panel looking at the reading and another tapping away at the sensors. Yes, removing the cover and cable will allow you test the sensor at the sensor.

Here is another option I use if there are a lot of windows close together.
    Still involves opening the panel.(Hard work I know...:rolleyes:)
    After opening the panel disconnect the zone & twist them together.
    Goto the EOL and remove the resistors. Series in your meter leads at that sensor . From there you can see the readings & you are close to all windows etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ken40

Hi All,
    i am new to this, just wondering could anybody direct me to where i can get an engineers manual for my intruder alarm "Astec 63DV

• Advertisement

I sent you that.
    For future reference you can request manuals here.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055973617

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 ken40

Thanks a lot for your help. Happy Christmas

Hi all (again)

ok - we've been having a couple of additional alarm triggers in the past couple of weeks - random times, sometimes windy, sometimes not ...

Alarm keeps being triggered at the same set of sensors - downstairs rear.

What are the options with regard to a service ? Am living in Swords and just wondering whether anyone is servicing Astecs anymore or does it need replacing ?

My wife called a couple of places today (from golden pages) and anyone she spoke to said they'd have to replace it.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Thunderbird2

Give altor a shout he knows those panels inside out

ifah wrote: »
    Hi all (again)

ok - we've been having a couple of additional alarm triggers in the past couple of weeks - random times, sometimes windy, sometimes not ...

Alarm keeps being triggered at the same set of sensors - downstairs rear.

What are the options with regard to a service ? Am living in Swords and just wondering whether anyone is servicing Astecs anymore or does it need replacing ?

My wife called a couple of places today (from golden pages) and anyone she spoke to said they'd have to replace it.

Thanks.

That is not true, there is more than likely a faulty(s) sensor on the loop causing the false alarms. I would only consider replacing the whole system if the control panel was at fault.

There its no need to replace the entire system. Even if they hadn't any Astec sensors (and there are still plenty, I've boxs of them)global devices can easily be converted .And it certainly sounds like that's all that's needed.

Still plenty of Astec sensors in the suppliers also.

Advertisement