Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horses on my land

• 13-12-2011 1:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Has anyone ever had to send stray animals to the animal pound?

I have five horses that have been put onto my land and I want to get rid of them. Unfortunately the Dept and the Guards tell me it is a civil matter and to look after it myself.

It seems the guy who owns the horses has a habit of doing this. He usually lets them into someones field and cuts the wire to the neighbours land as well. He is not from my local area and I dont know how to find him.

I dont want to just put them on the road as the could cause an accident. Someone told me there is an animal pound in Cavan that they can be sent to but I cant find any details for them. Has anyone had a similar problem and how did you resolve it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 115 ✭✭jack77

its a bit dodgy, can u not claim criminal damage if he's cutting your wire?
    if you told the guards the horses were on the road, would they not be obliged to take them themselves? u wouldnt have get invovled with getting some1s animals impounded then. i'd keep an eye on your yard in case he comes " looking for his horse's"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

What sort of paper work do horses need for sale, if any?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

If you have horses and no passports then the Dept of Agriculture are obliged to seize them? They're quick enough to threaten if the feicin' passport isn't nearly stapled to the horse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

There's a dog pound listed for Cavan:
    Warden: Aidan Woods
    Pound Address: I.S.P.C.A. Kennels, Legaland, Crossdoney, County Cavan
    Tel: 049 4337545

If they can't/won't take horses, they'll surely be able to point you in the right direction.

Be VERY careful if/when dealing with the owner of these horses; the gougers who engage in this sort of activity are undoubtedly living in the shadier areas of Irish life, and are likely more than willing to seek retribution when they perceive themselves to have been wronged. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Rovi wrote: »

If they can't/won't take horses, they'll surely be able to point you in the right direction.

Be VERY careful if/when dealing with the owner of these horses; the gougers who engage in this sort of activity are undoubtedly living in the shadier areas of Irish life, and are likely more than willing to seek retribution when they perceive themselves to have been wronged. :(

There is a Department of Agriculture Large Animal Pound located in Cavan for cattle, sheep and horses. Its not a drop off place, its more of a holding location - therefore, it is not advertised. To have horses impounded, you need to contact the local Gardai and your local DVO who will arrange for to have them collected. By using this method to have the animals removed, it removes any blame and responsibility from you. If the "gougers" come looking for their animals, you can say that the dvo picked them up and you had nothing to do with it.

There is a collosal release fee from this pound afaik.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭towzer2010

Rovi wrote: »

Thanks for al the replies.

Unfortunately thats a big issue with this guy. He has history with this sort if thing. I know he and his family have been convicted before for stealing cattle and they are the no 1 suspect in a lot of sheep stealing cases within a 30 mile radius recently.

The guy from the department said it had nothing to do with them. Seems a bit crazy really. He said the matter was a civil one.

reilig wrote: »
    There is a Department of Agriculture Large Animal Pound located in Cavan for cattle, sheep and horses. Its not a drop off place, its more of a holding location - therefore, it is not advertised. To have horses impounded, you need to contact the local Gardai and your local DVO who will arrange for to have them collected. By using this method to have the animals removed, it removes any blame and responsibility from you. If the "gougers" come looking for their animals, you can say that the dvo picked them up and you had nothing to do with it.

There is a collosal release fee from this pound afaik.

Thats what I was hoping for.

Thanks Rellig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I'd be very careful how you go about this, if I were you.
    I know of a case where some of the 'locals' were at this crack. To cut a long story short........let's just say, the local Garda Station was burnt down in retaliation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Don't let yourself be bullied by this thug. Most people turn a blind eye to them and that is the reason they get away with abusing people. The Gardai are convienting washing their hands of it whne if you demand that the horses are removed the Gardai should enforce your wishes. This carry on is going on all over the place and people need to defend their property without making excuses to anybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

can you not open another wire and let them off your land:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I would house it for 2 weeks then if no one came looking it would go to the pound or the knackery

Thanks again for all the replies.

I might have got rid of them now. I wont know untill I get home from work. The local guard called me back yesterday evening and I told him the story. He called down to this guy's house and told him he has 24hrs to get them out of there or they go to the pound.

I didnt want to put them on the road in case they did damage to some innocent bystander but it was getting more appealing every day.

I think to stop this happening people should be allowed to get trespassing animals destroyed after informing the Dept and getting permission. That would make them think twice about doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

As far as I know according to the law of the land while another persons property (in this case horses) are on your land you are responsible for them:eek: depsite the fact that you never gave permission to their owner in the first place.

Advertisement