Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from Boxing

Options
  • 13-12-2011 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭

I was banned from Boxing for 7 days for the use of the word prick, though a quick search shows that prick is a word tolerated all over the forum.

The mod in question who banned me, and who I was dealing with the problem over PM, has also used the term dickhead and several others in that specific forum.

I used the term regarding Amir Khan, a boxer. I did not aim the word at a member of the forum.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=75958313&postcount=244

I stated that there was no rules in the Boxing charter, so he changed it that it now warrants me getting a warning.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056412170

He decided to change the charter adding an eleventh ruling, based on my comment.

So despite the fact, there was no ruling against it (at the time) and I don't have a history of acting the asshole in that forum. He still felt the need to warn me.

Voicing my displeasure with him, ending up in it being a ban. He claims it's openly disagreeing with a Mod. Saying I wasn't happy with a warning, does not warrant a banning. An apparently using any word he deems improper could have got me a banning any other, I should have been grateful to get off with a warning.

Nonsense of course...

I have all the PM's if anyone wants to see them...

Can someone do something about this fella please, it's obvious he doesn't have a leg to stand on, and banned me out of spite.

PMs:
    That's a load of ****, prick is hardly a very offensive word. It was a comment not inciting anything and not directly at another poster.

No rules broke there, and a quick copy and paste of the word prick into the search at the top shows it's gone unpunished in many other forums.

A bit of common sense should be applied.

1) No personal abuse.

2) No Trolling.

3) No Spamming.

4) No Shilling.

5) No Advertising, bans will be given for blatant advertising

6) No unfounded allegations against fighters, particularly in regard to steroid use. If you want to accuse them make sure you have a bulletproof source or you will be banned.

7) No text speak, use the whole keyboard when making a post

8) No questioning Mods decisions on the public threads, take it to PM if you have a problem.

9) Put spoiler tags on threads title if the result of recent fight is inside.

10) No Freedom of Speech - you post here under the knowledge the www.boards.ie is a privately owned and operated board, Deviating from what the owners are or are not cool with will get you Banned and KO'd Quicker than a Mike Tyson left hook!
    cowzerp wrote:
    Just be grateful it's not a ban-abusive language is not on and we use common sense as well as the charter-I'll amend the charter now anyway, and if we feel your been abusive we can take action, prick is offensive and not on.
    The last thing I'll be is grateful. What I said wasn't offensive to anyone but Amir Khan and I'd say with about 99.99% certainty he's no a member of the boards. What I said wasn't considered offensive in any other the other forums either. And what I said wasn't offensive in boxing to the point that you've gone and changed the charter so that it is now. Unnecessary and wreaks of throwing your weight around
    cowzerp wrote:
    Enough people reported you because they felt it was offensive-I'm only worried about the forums I look after and calling fighters pricks or anything like that is unacceptable-that's my last reply to you on this matter.
    Note, I'm not the only one that's prone to cursing.

Like I said a bit of common sense should apply. Dickhead was the first word and last word I looked for to prove my point.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...&postcount=240
    cowzerp wrote:
    Your funny, 2 years ago I was not a mod on the forum so got no reports on that 1. Take it to feedback as I'm sure they'll be ok with you calling him a prick.

Your lucky I did not ban you as that would be my usual action for that, next time it will be.
    My point wasn't that you are a chief culprit it's that you, and many other people have done something similar (and in boxing) and weren't given a warning over it.

You would have banned me for using the word prick... really?

I can guarantee if I was bother or tried hard enough, there would be plenty of examples in the last week, probably from Section 4 from the looks of it. But I won't be doing that.

I'm not getting into this to claim you're a **** mod, I just don't think the proper warning was neccesary. If I directed it at someone on the boards, I'd say fair enough.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Hi,

I have had a look at this and need to make a few points.Boards is a big community and has many many forums,some forums are more stricter than others and then you have forums like after hours were its a little more relaxed.You would be banned on the soccer forum for using a word like prick be it at a player or another member.

I did search the boxing forum for use of the word while looking into this,and yes I agree it has been used many many times and each time without a sanction.I also note the charter has been changed so the mod/mods have had a policy change,I do think it would be unfair to have a user banned for using this word before a charter change with such a common use of the word very evident.If this was the end of the story I would seriously conceder overturning the ban,but you posted about it on thread witch is a big no on boards you then edited your post so I cant even see what you said.I am sure this was taken into consideration when giving you a ban.So taken this all on board I think 7 days while on the high end of the scale,the ban was sound.

Dub13

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

The post about my displeasure of being warned was posted far before any talks with the mod via PM.

And the only changes to the original post was poor grammar ones where It looked like I stated I was in the wrong. I can even remember it was a sentence about 3 or 4 in... I didn't hide anything, I could have edited or been selective about my PM's, my first one starting with "That's a load of ****", really didn't do me any favours but I felt it best to show them all as a lot of them can be queried in the back end.

I implore to you change you mind, as from where I stand, I was banned on a whim, and I'd rather not go back to that forum, if I can be potentially banned when Mr Cowzerp feels like it. Very disappointed, considering your first draft of this message was spot on.

EDITS: Grammar, spelling and what not

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Ok point taken about the Grammar & spelling meet your brother on that one,I was just not sure if anything more robust was taken out.I will take your word on that.

As I said if this was just about the word I would be of the opinion to lift the ban,but you did post on thread about a mod decision again this is not on and its not something I am going to overrule.Feel free to PM cowzerp about this element and see if you can come to an agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Spazdarn

I'm admittedly stubborn at the best of times, so I've no intention of going back crawling to him begging to get back into the forum, when what I did was clearly in err, but I wouldn't have been in that situation if I wasn't warned wrongly in the first place.

I feel strongly enough about it, to dodge that forum completely. If it's not run properly, and he can get away with a power trip move like that, (gleefully announcing it to the rest of the forum after, I've noticed) then I'm posting in the wrong forum.

Thanks for having a look into it regardless, I don't agree with it... but there you go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement