Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living Social vouchers

Options
  • 13-12-2011 1:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭

Just so people realise, I noticed the following in the terms and conditions. I'm not sure if groupon is the same:

If the expiration of the paid value of the Voucher as of the date printed on the Voucher is prohibited under the law of the jurisdiction in which the Merchant is located, then the Voucher shall expire as follows: the promotional portion of the Voucher will expire on the date printed on the Voucher, and the paid portion of the Voucher will expire five (5) years from the date the Voucher is issued, except to the extent applicable law requires that the Merchant extend the period in which the Voucher may be redeemed.

http://www.livingsocial.com/terms?preferred_city=68

So am I reading it right that essentially if you have an expired voucher that cost you €50, then you have a €50 voucher?

Say you buy a voucher for dinner for €50 that should be €150 and you miss it, you still have a voucher for €50 off your next meal in the restaurant...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

Expiry dtaes on vouchers is not prohibited in Ireland, therefore afetr the expiry dtae, you have a worthless piece of paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 patomc

I am not sure of the law but most places I have dealt with have honoured the voucher.
    Ireland will probably be the last to do something about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

patomc wrote: »
    I am not sure of the law but most places I have dealt with have honoured the voucher.
    Ireland will probably be the last to do something about it.
    Well I had a voucher that was due to expire yesterday so I emailed them yesterday evening with the voucher asking could I redeem it, but I got a reply this morning saying it had expired.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ywhite

Just wondering if anybody could help me out here.. I bought a hotel break in Galway (Meyrick Hotel) from livingsocial about a month ago. I received an email the next day confirming the purchase and they said that I will soon receive the vouchers via email.. I have not received the vouchers yet!! I checked my 'bin' messages on my email account in case i deleted them by mistake.. I also checked my bank account and the money has been deducted. This is frustrating! i dont know who to contact either. Ive tried the dublin number on the website but to no avail.. If anybody has any advice, i would greatly appreciate it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 marytipperary

Anyone else having trouble with Livingsocial vouchers ? I purchased a voucher last August for a beauty salon in Clontarf. The voucher was due to expire on 9th Feb. I tried several times to make an appointment but they were always too busy to fit me in. On 2nd Feb I rang again and was told the company no longer exists so I contacted Livingsocial and told them the story. They said they would look into the matter. They emailed me and stated that they had rung the company and that the beauty salon still existed. I rang the phone number on my voucher again and was told yet again that the company had sold up and there is a new company in the premises and they could only honour the voucher on Wednesday mornings. As this does not suit me I again contacted Livingsocial who emailed to say that they are looking into the matter.
    I haven't heard from them for 20 days now and even though the voucher only cost €20, I have asked for my money back but to no avail.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

It's a pity Ireland doesn't prohibit expiry dates. I had vouchers for a restaurant and used them just before they expired but they try to tell me I couldn't use them a Saturday night when I went to make the booking but I went and checked the terms and conditions and there was nothing about using it certain days only, hate that.
    They did accept the booking for the Saturday night when I argued it but I shouldn't have had to, and they certainly shouldn't have been imposing different t&c's.

I were there on a lunch voucher as well just before the voucher expired and they were rubbing their hands in glee as lots of vouchers were still un-used with only 1 day to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

Can anyone explain how these voucher deals work? I have one for a restaurant which expired yesterday. My fault for not realizing...I have a few different ones and thought this one was for 6 months but it was for 3.

Anyway, rang to ask if I could extend it by 2 days as hubby is away this week and was told no.

So just wondering, do they still get the money even though we did not use the voucher...or do they just get paid for the ones which are actually redeemed?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

loopymum wrote: »

I were there on a lunch voucher as well just before the voucher expired and they were rubbing their hands in glee as lots of vouchers were still un-used with only 1 day to go.

The restaurant gets nothing if you don't redeem the voucher. Living social keep the money. The restaurant only get the money when you turn up with the voucher.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭paudgenator

BrianD wrote: »
    The restaurant gets nothing if you don't redeem the voucher. Living social keep the money. The restaurant only get the money when you turn up with the voucher.

Thanks for clarifying Brian )

I thought that if they did get the money regardless, it would have been worth their while extending, as we would have spent more on drinks etc, and would possibly have one there again if it was a good experience. But if they get nothing, I can see why they said no.

Note to self...will have be be more aware of the expiry dates in future!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭loopymum

BrianD wrote: »

Definitely not what I was told.

It doesn't make sense anyway as how are living social going to know if customers turned up with the vouchers? The restaurant are the ones who would be letting them know. I can't see how they wouldn't get their money to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It doesn't make sense anyway as how are living social going to know if customers turned up with the vouchers? The restaurant are the ones who would be letting them know. I can't see how they wouldn't get their money to be honest.

The business needs to give the voucher (or code anyway) to the deal website before they get paid. This is how most (if not all) deal sites work. The business gets nothing unless the buyer actually uses the voucher. Unused vouchers result in massive bonuses for the deal operator, not the business, they get zero from unused vouchers. On top of that, the deal site takes a percentage of the cost of the voucher too (in the case of Groupon it is 50%, for others it's probably similar).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Living Social works differently.

The retailer / restaurant / hotel - whomever it happens to be is paid for all of the vouchers sold even if not redeemed. Whilst the likes of Groupon / Citydeal require the vendor to log in and redeem the code this is not required by Living Social. In fact its one of their selling points that sweetens the heavy discount from the vendor - that some of the vouchers won't be redeemed and these help subsidise the discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Normally (not with Living Social though) what happens is that the customer presents their voucher to the retailer. Each voucher has a unique code on it which the retailer has to enter on the deal sites website. When entered the funds from that voucher are released. If the voucher is not redeemed at the retailer they don't get access to the unique code and therefore can't release the funds from that voucher.

In the case of Living Social payment is made on a staggered basis (it used to be all up front but they were changing this the last time we dealt with them) for all vouchers sold prior to their redemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sarah2912

I've just purchased a car radio to smart phone transmitter and when I go to the voucher page there is no download link available for me to click and when I manually put it in to my browser a load of sh.. Come up that's nothing to do with the voucher please help. This is apparently the download link bit.ly/YBNynn

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Sarah2912 wrote: »
    I've just purchased a car radio to smart phone transmitter and when I go to the voucher page there is no download link available for me to click and when I manually put it in to my browser a load of sh.. Come up that's nothing to do with the voucher please help. This is apparently the download link bit.ly/YBNynn

Put that link into a browser window. It brings you to an ordering page, where you click on "Add to cart".

It's here you enter your voucher.

The link certainly works in Google Chrome and IE9.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Sarah2912

Mountjoy mugger
    Thank a million. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Johnnny boy

Hi, just like to know is LivingSocial still operating from Ireland. I made a purchase but have received no voucher code. tried ringing Dublin office no reply. E-Mailed their site get a message that they will reply in 48 hours. 8 days later still no reply or voucher. Any Ideas, please??

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭holly8

Hi, just like to know is LivingSocial still operating from Ireland. I made a purchase but have received no voucher code. tried ringing Dublin office no reply. E-Mailed their site get a message that they will reply in 48 hours. 8 days later still no reply or voucher. Any Ideas, please??

why don't you log into your LS account and see if it's there? I bought one recently and it took a few days to hit my Inbox... much longer than it used to take.

Advertisement