Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"what'll I get your mother"

Options
  • 13-12-2011 1:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

So the annual tradition of a last min text from my panicking father has been continued. :D God love him he has no confidence when it comes to gift choosing so asks us every year.

This year, I have no ideas.

She's into spiritual things, but has a wealth of books. She doesn't need anything like a camera or mp3 player. She has everything she needs. They live out the country so dinner vouchers wouldn't work, as they see it as hassle to travel anywhere. A weekend away would be a bit outside budget. He wouldn't buy clothes for her as she would be fussy enough. So any ideas would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

You think that's last minute? I get the yearly Christmas Eve 'oh ehh would you come with me to help me pick something for your mother' :eek:

You could get a night away for a good enough price, keep on eye on the deal sites (boardsdeals has a night and dinner for 2 in Athlone at the moment).
    Otherwise her favourite perfume? is she into make up?

Is she into cooking? I know cooking equipment is generally frowned upon (it used to be anyway) but they have such cool things out now, or a cookery course, I'd love that anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Ah Cathmandoo here is my problem, she has very very sensitive skin and so cannot wear perfume, she can "feel" varnish on her finger nails, a haircut is a no go as she had an allergic reaction to dye last year and has been growing out her hair since. She can't wear make up. She doesn't like cooking enough to appreciate anything kitcheny. And she wouldn't be into wine enough for to send her on a tasting course (although I'd love to do something like that)

Their 30th Anniversary is early next year and we have a week away booked for them, so I don't think he'd be too interested in the weekend away, not to mention, it's never just the cost of the hotel. Things for them are very very tight at the moment.

She really doesn't have many interests to be honest, I'm at a total loss. And it's too late now to order anything online so it would have to be something I could buy in a shop.

I'm sorry for being so akward.

I'd say you feel like battering your dad when you get the text on christmas eve!

EDIT: Just had an idea, I think she'd like one of those spa bath mats that turn your bath into a jacuzzi. I can't find any in Ireland. :(

You're totally screwed :pac:

Have you checked Debenhams / Arnotts / Clearys for the bath matt?

Amazon have Babyliss matts and they may be delivered in time for Christmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Whispered wrote: »
    EDIT: Just had an idea, I think she'd like one of those spa bath mats that turn your bath into a jacuzzi. I can't find any in Ireland. :(

I could swear I saw those in Boots...might be worth giving your nearest one a call?

You're totally screwed :pac:

Whatever she gets, she'll say "Oh wow that's exactly what I wanted" it makes you more adamant to get something she'll REALLY like.

Amazon have Babyliss matts and they may be delivered in time for Christmas!

I've checked the other websites, and they don't have it, the only place I can find that deliver to ireland are charging about 140, which is outside his budget. There is one which seems great but they only deliver to the UK. I'll try boots tomorrow, but it looks like I'll be back to the drawing board.

Staying on the relaxing bath idea, I'm thinking of a basket with a nice new bath towel, a bathrobe, slippers, scented candles, bath salts, bubble bath, maybe a bath pillow. I'm sure I could put something like that together for not too much money. Although it's a bit impersonal.

Other ideas would be really appreciated.

• Advertisement

I love the bath hamper idea! Given she has sensitive skin I'd recommend getting her seaweed so she can have a seaweed bath. Health food shops might have packets of seaweed. I know it sounds mad buying seaweed but they do clean it out and pick the best stuff :D Look up a crowd called Voya who do it, I'm sure they'd list stockists on their website.

I'm pretty sure I've seen bath pillows in Argos. Don't forget the rubber ducky!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

What about meditation classes? If your mum is spiritual as you say but is alreay the proud owner of all the books a woman could want or need why not something like that.

:eek: Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I rang my dad yesterday and he was sorted! The cheek of him, after me spending hours looking online for a bath thingy. haha.

Advertisement