Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Burlesque

Options
  • 13-12-2011 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hello there i am just testing the water as to getting performers for a Burlesque gig in Galway in the new year ..

What do people generally think about this ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

With regards to attending a show, going to classes, burlesque views in general?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Hello there i am just testing the water as to getting performers for a Burlesque gig in Galway in the new year ..

I know someone involved in that scene, so I've been to a few.
    Depends who you get. There's plenty of shoddy stuff put on for the novelty factor. The well received shows tend to be a mix of burlesque, music, comedy acts etc.
    It wouldn't be cheap I'd say, so you'd need a decent sized venue that still felt 'burlesque-y'

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭mcmurphy995

With a few to attending a good show in Galway and also general thoughts on Burlesque , will also be looking to speak to folks interested in the night and potential performers ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Will there be bewbs? ;)

Tassled bewbism surely?

Galway has quite a creative bunch of people and I am sure there would be interest in something done well, not in a novelty way. A lot of Galway's 'performers' now live in Dublin and I imagine some have gotten involved in the Dublin burlesque scene, so it might be an idea to suss out if anyone with experience would get on board; I'm thinking dancers, 'performance artists', magicians etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,773 ✭✭✭connemara man

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭topcat77

Think i'd be a great Idea!! De Burgos would be a fantastic venue just couldn't see the garda letting you have it.

topcat77 wrote: »
    Think i'd be a great Idea!! De Burgos would be a fantastic venue just couldn't see the garda letting you have it.

Is it still a noise thing with De Burgos and the guards?
    What's the capacity there anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

There are three girls around who do it occasionally. They did a performance down the docks for the boat thing last year.
    Cant think what they call themselves but they drink in Neactains.

There are three girls around who do it occasionally. They did a performance down the docks for the boat thing last year.
    Cant think what they call themselves but they drink in Neactains.

I can see it now. Could be dangerous. Neachtains at closing time "excuse me ladies, are ye the ones that twirl your boobs?" :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

There are three girls around who do it occasionally.

Not Phyllis, Clammy and Gonney by any chance?

The vaudeville vamps I think he means.. Three sometimes four girls who do charleston/ wartime style dancing, I know they have performed round the country and at sOme festivals . They have a Facebook site you can search for .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Yep. Thats them. Couldnt remember the name.

The vaudeville vamps I think he means.. Three sometimes four girls who do charleston/ wartime style dancing, I know they have performed round the country and at sOme festivals . They have a Facebook site you can search for .

I wouldn't call those ladies burlesque per se, but they would be great for the type of variety act to mix in with the more traditional stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

inisboffin wrote: »
    Is it still a noise thing with De Burgos and the guards?
    What's the capacity there anyone know?

I've been to all sorts of gigs at De Burgo's including a Rossport fundraiser. They'll hire it out to anyone willing to pay for it.

The drawbacks are the capacity is about 150ish, there's no stage/dressing area.

inisboffin wrote: »
    I wouldn't call those ladies burlesque per se, but they would be great for the type of variety act to mix in with the more traditional stuff.

Agreed that they are not burlesque per se, but a lot of what is on the burlesque circuit right now is not strictly 'burlesque'... a lot more about cabaret, and entertainment wise it is more neo-burlesque..

I think it'd work in Galway

Agreed that they are not burlesque per se, but a lot of what is on the burlesque circuit right now is not strictly 'burlesque'... a lot more about cabaret, and entertainment wise it is more neo-burlesque..

I think it'd work in Galway

Exactly. Thank you, that's a better phrase than how I put it - 'neo burlesque'. ;)

The Vamps are good craic, and as I said, would fit the bill of most of these types of shows.
    There are a few good acts in fact that would fit that profile in the West and Northwest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 JetJadore

Hello, Just came across your thread. I am an experienced Irish Burlesque performer currently living in Donegal. My style is mostly classical, with focus on the more glamorous aspects of striptease. Feel free to drop me a message!
    Miss Jet J'adore.

Advertisement