Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No home no idea

Options
  • 13-12-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi everyone! I'm in a bit of a pickle and I'm not sure what to do.
    Firstly just let me explain that I've a long term chronic illness and have been on disability allowance since age 20. I was living with my mum up until 3.5 years ago when I decided to move out because we were having problems, so i moved into a shared house where I was renting a bedroom for a year. Then a friend of mine decided he was going to move into an apartment and asked if I'd like to share. We were living in the same apartment for the past 2 years (privately rented) until my friend lost his job. Now he's back living with his mum and I'm stuck living on sofas in friends apartments. I've stayed with my mum a couple of times but as she's a chronic smoker and part of my illness is respiratory related I end up becoming ill, so staying at hers isn't viable.
    All history aside I was wondering what options I have? Can I get on a housing list for a council place? Or qualify for help with rent supplement? I've never claimed any benefits before except for just the basic DA so I'm new to all this and don't know the first place to look. I really don't want to wear out my welcome with friends as it's holiday season and with me living on sofas I feel I'm getting in everyones way, but I really don't want to end up on the streets or in emergency accommadation either especially with my condition. Any help/advice would be much appreciated, thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

You may be eligible for rent supplement (and some other allowances)

Take a look here and look specifically at the extra benefits and supplementary allowances links near the top of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Get down to your local authority and see if you are entitled to apply for social housing, too.

Advertisement