Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which would Illustrator prefer, sag,ps or pdf?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 774 ✭✭✭

Hi any Adobe Illustrator kings out there?

I need to edit graph documents which have been output by "R", the open source stats software which also is great for producing fine tuned statistics graphics.

It can output files in a number of formats, but the vector graphics it outputs are one of ssg, pdf or ps (postscript).

The standard output is PDF, but when I go to edit these in AI, it seems to lose all the swatches etc and from googling this problem, it seems to be a problem with editing pdf files in AI.

Any advice? Or is something else wrong that I can't edit the pdf files properly?

I have no experience of using svg or postscript files so don't know if AI can edit these with full functionality. Anyone out there have any ideas? Or is there a way to convert the pdf to an AI file or something that it can easily edit?

Thanks if anyone can help!

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

eps is probably the best option. I usually output eps from Matlab, which is a lot like R.
    Illustrator doesn't recognize LaTeX or TeX text and can often muck it up. Installing and applying the CMU fonts easily fixes most of these issues.

What other issues are you having? What kind of editing are you trying to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭EvolutionNights

I've never used 'R' so I'm guessing it depends on your output settings from 'R'.
    If there is a check box for 'Preserve Illustrator Editing' then check that.
    I'd use PDF or SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) as both are highly supported in Illustrator. Just drag the files to the Illustrator icon.
    It might take a bit of dicking around to get your desired result.
    Maybe post a screen grab of your 'R' output dialog screen so we can see what settings you are using.

Advertisement