Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

urethral sphincter mechanism incontinence in Dog

• 13-12-2011 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Hi there, just wondering has anyone got experience of this?

My dog is female, neutered and 8 yrs old this month. Cross wire haired terrier / lurcher (according to vet as we got her & her sister from the pound at 12 weeks old).

She has just been diagnosed with urethral sphincter mechanism incontinence and started on Propalin syrup 0.6mls twice a day to be reviewed in 2 weeks.

She is a complete pet and sofa loving dog so I am just wondering how effective it has been for others in the long term.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭crally

hi my older collie female has this. she has been on that med for a few months and has cleared it completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Peppa

That's great news - thanks for replying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Our dog was also on Propalin for a while, we peservered for a good bit - then we got a little lazy and realised that she didn't need it anymore! She has the odd leak now and then, but nothing like the previous. The vet said they will 'remember' how to use their muscle again after using it for a while. So it's a good result.

That is interesting - tks. Will give her a few months and then maybe see how she she. Tks smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭eoinburke67

kinda off topic so sorry but what is it exactly your dog dose? i got my dog neutered a couple months ago and i have noticed she cant hold it for as long and has some accidents while she's walking and dosnt notice is this the same as yours?

• Advertisement

Hi Eoin,

My dog is on 0.6mls twice daily.

She is just 8yrs and neutured since about 6 months.

However, I do remember that when she was a puppy she used to pee while running down the hall and not even notice. I just put it down to excitement and once she was toilet trained she was fine until just last October. She was also much harder to toilet train. Her sister was never like that and so far she seems fine.

The vet said my dogs was definitely age related - she is a wire haired terrier cross which I think is one of the breeds susceptible to this condition.

Hope that helps.

Advertisement