Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Primary Teaching jobs in Ireland

• 13-12-2011 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi, im just doing the hidp in primary teaching at the moment. Was wondering is there any hope of me getting a job out of it. How are qualified teachers finding it at the moment to get work??

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Nigh on impossible, is the answer and with the axing of ratios in DEIS schools and rural school it's going to be even worse. Have a look at educationposts.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 687 ✭✭✭headmaster

A h-dip in primary teaching, tell me more?

• Registered Users Posts: 11 louiseok01

Im doing the hdip through Hibernia. We have been told that 2015 will be a good year for us as there will not be any graduates because the hdip is now 2 years and the degree is now 4 years. Is the job market as bad as they make out at the moment???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 pinkorchid

Hi Louiseok,
    I just finished Hibernia and graduated.
    I got a permanent job this year-I have no connections to the school, I had never worked there before and got in solely on merit.

So first I want to say Good Luck on the HDipcourse-it really stood to me and the hardest part are the T.Ps but they are doable and you will be fine if you stay organised.

I did have a lot of subbing experience and TEFL experience abroad.
    The worst that can happen is this-you will need to get experience and if you don't have a family you can easily go abroad for a year and have the time of your life if there are no positions here. People say isn't it awful so many people have to emigrate-I think the exact opposite. Travelling is an amazing opportunity and should be done by as many people as possible.

You may not walk into a permanent job-unlikely. But you will get some kind of work. By 2015, with the baby boom there will be jobs. I hate to say this but your pay and conditions will not be great with all of the changes since January 2011. You will make enough to eat and live but that is it pretty much.

It is a vocation really. Despite the pressures, long planning after school etc (which people outside of teaching generally have no idea about) it is a great way of life. Working with children is good for the heart. Although the class sizes are going to be larger and with more and more children diagnosed with different SEN it is challenging and needs a lot of planning and thought provoking activities for the children-especially if you want to be good at it.

Best of luck. Don't worry too much-enjoy your course. Learn as much as you can. Share all your resources etc with other people in your class. Enjoy it!

Good luck

Thanks...thats great to hear...people are so gloomy about jobs..I think half of it is a frame of mind!! I'm in a primary school at the moment teaching spanish (modern Languages in Primary school initiative). Next year once Im on top of the course work, ill try and get a second school/do a bit of subbing or anything...thanks again.:)

• Advertisement

pinkorchid wrote: »
    Hi Louiseok,
    I just finished Hibernia and graduated.
    I got a permanent job this year-I have no connections to the school, I had never worked there before and got in solely on merit.

So first I want to say Good Luck on the HDipcourse-it really stood to me and the hardest part are the T.Ps but they are doable and you will be fine if you stay organised.

I did have a lot of subbing experience and TEFL experience abroad.
    The worst that can happen is this-you will need to get experience and if you don't have a family you can easily go abroad for a year and have the time of your life if there are no positions here. People say isn't it awful so many people have to emigrate-I think the exact opposite. Travelling is an amazing opportunity and should be done by as many people as possible.

You may not walk into a permanent job-unlikely. But you will get some kind of work. By 2015, with the baby boom there will be jobs. I hate to say this but your pay and conditions will not be great with all of the changes since January 2011. You will make enough to eat and live but that is it pretty much.

It is a vocation really. Despite the pressures, long planning after school etc (which people outside of teaching generally have no idea about) it is a great way of life. Working with children is good for the heart. Although the class sizes are going to be larger and with more and more children diagnosed with different SEN it is challenging and needs a lot of planning and thought provoking activities for the children-especially if you want to be good at it.

Best of luck. Don't worry too much-enjoy your course. Learn as much as you can. Share all your resources etc with other people in your class. Enjoy it!

Good luck
    Full credit to you for getting a permanent post on your own merit, and having no connections to the school (normally it's "oh you haven't a chance, sure the principals daughter/BOM chair's nephew is just out of college and will walk into that job, etc.)

Your post does offer encouragement to those up the walls with worry about jobs, your case, though is unfortunately very much the exception !!

Don't believe the bit in bold about 2015 what there will be jobs. The country is bankrupt so where's the money for them going to come from? While there most certainly will be the need for jobs for teachers with the extra numbers of children coming into the system due to the baby boom, they (the govt) will simply increase the PTR even more and cut, cut, cut, cut, cut left right and centre Learning Support, DEIS provisions, Language Support etc. Without these supports, job of the teacher is going to get more and more challenging, as if it's not challenging enough these days.

Hi Sweetface,

As sure as babies are born children will need to be educated.

There are jobs-I know I was very lucky to be made permanent. So much so that instead of rejoicing and telling people I found it difficult to tell anyone, especially friends I studied with. I really empathise with graduates now.

I was determined to be prepared for interview, I did FAS courses when unemployed, I did anything I could to show that I was a worthwhile investment. I also had faith that I would get a job. I prayed and believed that with a full heart. As airy fairy as that may sound I envisioned that for one full year before I signed a contract.

How large can classes get- they can't hit 40 or there will be uproar, even at 35 there will still be a need for new teachers-the cuts are in salaries to teachers and a farce pension now in which you would need to live until you are 94 to be paid back the fortnightly deducations that are paid out of your salary. The debate of pension versus no pension for private sector is not something I want to discuss here. There is money for education despite what anyone says.

I suppose what I want to say is that the doom is gloom is exhausting and I want to say THERE IS HOPE! THERE IS LIGHT AT THE END OF AN ARDUOUS TUNNEL DESPITE ADVERSITY!!!

Good luck to everyone!!

That sounds really interesting Louise OK. It sounds like you are a linguist. Great....a wonderful selling point to any open minded principal. Fair play.

I am studying Chinese with a view to introducing that into school. Languages so important!!!!

Good luck with all of your endeavours.

I want to send you info from INTO about fulfilling requirement on old system-getting onto the main pay path before the end of this year. Try to get at least one day on the offical paypath-green slip.
    Good luck and you are right a lot of it is frame of mind!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

PinkOrchid, the DES just cancelled the modern language programme for primary schools. :confused:

Hi all, They cancelled the modern languages alright in primary school initiative...they are paying me at the moment....does that count as getting the official paypath green slip I wonder???

I am still optimistic, the principal said he would prob keep me on in the school and pay me privately.....hopefully they will continue to pay me until June anyways!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement