Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why did the mech. overfill my oil?

• 13-12-2011 3:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭

Got a Ninja 250 2010 serviced recently (Bray Honda Centre), and noticed, when holding the bike upright, that the oil level totally fills the oil spyglass...

So it has been overfilled, but by much I do not know...

Any good reason he would have done this? Should I drain some?

Bike seems fine...and I've done maybe 1000km since. I did check the oil after the service, but I probably did not upright the bike properly to notice.

On another note, one of the the passenger seat underside rubber grommets was missing when I got the bike. After the service, so was the other one...for some unknown reason.

Anyone know where I can buy fiddly little parts like this, preferrably from Ireland/UK? (http://www.powersportsplus.com/images/diagrams/kawasaki/032010/I16/I1691/F2510.png ... part 92161A)

Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

if its overfilled the engine could be damaged very quickly
    check and adjust
    i worked as a mechanic one summer
    i'm self taught; but my mate had a bike shop and needed me
    he's not a mechanic either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Tigger wrote: »
    if its overfilled the engine could be damaged very quickly
    check and adjust
    i worked as a mechanic one summer
    i'm self taught; but my mate had a bike shop and needed me
    he's not a mechanic either

Yeah...I guess I will drain some. Unfortunately I've already done 1000KM, but it seems okay...

Shame, I liked the guys in that shop...but I guess I shall not be returning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Why?.. Because most don't give a flying bollox about their work and thats the truth of it.

In my old house I'd my own garage and done all my own work - thats the beauty of biking, but I don't have that luxury now.

Last week I'd to replace fork deals, steering head bearings and front break pads on my bike - from one southside dealer I was quoted €370 for parts and labour!.

One garage on Ossory Rd I couldn't find 'nor get an answer on the phone..

So I braved the elements and done the job myself, all the parts came to €122 and I don't have to worry about a mechanic who doesn't give a rats arse about the quality of his work.

/rant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭amacca

Why?.. Because most don't give a flying bollox about their work and thats the truth of it.

In my old house I'd my own garage and done all my own work - thats the beauty of biking, but I don't have that luxury now.

Last week I'd to replace fork deals, steering head bearings and front break pads on my bike - from one southside dealer I was quoted €370 for parts and labour!.

So I braved the elements and done the job myself, all the parts came to €122 and I don't have to worry about a mechanic who doesn't give a rats arse about the quality of his work.

/rant.

depressing but true in a lot of cases

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

You only checked the oil after 1000km of riding later....:eek:
    Did you check it when the oil was hot or cold...??
    It should be about 3/4 ways up the glass when cold and held upright....if its not ,syringe some out...
    Bikeworld for the grommets..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Why didn't you say it to your mechanic that the grommets are missing and it appears to be overfilled. Give them an opportunity to make it right before you give out about them on the internet.

I'm not defending them, it can be very disappointing, and downright dangerous, when work is not up to scratch.

My front brake caliper came off after I had braided hoes fitted (by a completely unrelated shop) cos the useless idiots never tightened the calliper bolts and one had shook off and the other was nearly gone. When I took it back they gave me some BS excuse that the bolts should be checked after 100 miles - 100 miles?? the effing thing fell off on my way home after 15 minutes - it was lucky I wasn't lodged in the back of a bus - I went back the next day to complain. In hindsight i wish I'd kicked up more stink with them - all they gave me was a poxy bike cover for my trouble. They also committed to getting me replacement bolts, which they didn't do.

Trout, all joking aside but if a mechanic done that to me it would take all my will power not to punch him in the snot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

OP, any decent mechanic will check a data sheet for the correct amount of oil to add rather than using the sight glass. If you have done 1000kms then this higher oil level hasn't done any damage and you are worrying needlessly. Is there a lot of blue or white smoke from the exhaust lately to suggest a damaged oil seal? How far over do you have to lean the bike to be able to see the oil level? Not much? A lot? On its side?

The missing rubber grommit is a nuisance but it is unlikely to have been malicious and you should ask them to arrange a replacement as a matter of goodwill.

As for the 'mechanic' who fitted the calipers above - he should have been sent a solicitors letter seeking recovery of fees paid for work not up to standard. It wasn't Tigger or his self taught mate ^^ was it???? Good grief...

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Y'd think they'd have offered the money back. It was about 7 years ago now. Yeah - could've done things differently. Told all my friends the story. Not gonna name them here but i'd tell you over a pint.

As for the 'mechanic' who fitted the calipers above - he should have been sent a solicitors letter seeking recovery of fees paid for work not up to standard. It wasn't Tigger or his self taught mate ^^ was it???? Good grief...

'cptr

Some of the best 'mechanics' I've known learned their stuff tinkering about with their own, and friends bikes out in back gardens & race meets.

Esp. some courier's who could keep a proper rat bike on the road through donkeys years of abuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Some of the best 'mechanics' I've known learned their stuff tinkering about with their own, and friends bikes out in back gardens & race meets.

Esp. some courier's who could keep a proper rat bike on the road through donkeys years of abuse.

Agreed but I wouldn't want them setting the valve clearances on my KTM...

'c

Agreed but I wouldn't want them setting the valve clearances on my KTM...

'c

I'd love a KTM for a bit of craic - only clearances I'd be working on would be between the front wheel and the road :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

OP, any decent mechanic will check a data sheet for the correct amount of oil to add rather than using the sight glass. If you have done 1000kms then this higher oil level hasn't done any damage and you are worrying needlessly. Is there a lot of blue or white smoke from the exhaust lately to suggest a damaged oil seal? How far over do you have to lean the bike to be able to see the oil level? Not much? A lot? On its side?

The missing rubber grommit is a nuisance but it is unlikely to have been malicious and you should ask them to arrange a replacement as a matter of goodwill.

Well it's done no damage that I know of. Yep, some white smoke but only due to this cold weather, I think...no blue. Will keep checking. When the bike is on its side stand, you can see some oil in the oil level (before service, you'd see none). When it's about halfway from being on the side stand to being upright, the oil level is totally full -- so it seems it's not just a small bit over.

I'll try syphon some out tonight.

Cheers for responses...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,418 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dunno about you but if I was underneath my own bike with greasy hands it'd be a right PITA to have to stop to answer the phone :pac:
    Paddy is in my experience sound as the day is long and has been doing my tyres for years, I got a new pair recently, I did have trouble getting him on the phone but when I emailed him he phoned me back the next day. Got the work done, and done right, at the time promised, for the price promised, which is more than I can say for most bike shops I've dealt with.

PM me if you need the email address.

Scrap the cap!

ninja900 wrote: »
    Dunno about you but if I was underneath my own bike with greasy hands it'd be a right PITA to have to stop to answer the phone :pac:
    Paddy is in my experience sound as the day is long and has been doing my tyres for years, I got a new pair recently, I did have trouble getting him on the phone but when I emailed him he phoned me back the next day. Got the work done, and done right, at the time promised, for the price promised, which is more than I can say for most bike shops I've dealt with.

PM me if you need the email address.

Its cool, I wasn't saying anything about the chaps work at all.

I just couldn't contact him.

The bike is sorted now, just planning on raising the rear by 20-30mm. Tidy the tail up and try source end can's - its a 1992 Zephyr 750 if anyone knows where I can locate any?.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

The bike is sorted now, just planning on raising the rear by 20-30mm. Tidy the tail up and try source end can's - its a 1992 Zephyr 750 if anyone knows where I can locate any?.

Are you looking for original cans? Maybe Paddy Costello in Kilbeggan/Tullamore might have some.

Are you looking for original cans? Maybe Paddy Costello in Kilbeggan/Tullamore might have some.

Nope, thats whats on at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭furerer

Your Ninja 250 needs 1.9 ltrs of oil. "Full" is the top line (near the top of the window) when the bike is held vertical and both wheels are on the ground. Keeping the oil at or close to the upper mark is desirable, but do not overfill it, as you could blow a gasket. Only add a small amount at a time.

210pximg3239.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

'cptr

that was my point that i could work as a mech not that i'm the be all and end all

i never refitted calipers without blue lock let alone without nipping them up with a tourqe wrench

data sheet can leave you with too much oil the right way is sight glass or dipstick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,418 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

furerer wrote: »
    Your Ninja 250 needs 1.9 ltrs of oil.

Better off adding a little at a time, as you say further down, rather than just putting in what the book says. Often that's what's needed to fill a completely dry engine, unless the motor has been split there'll always be a bit of old oil left in it. Easier to add a bit than trying to suck a bit out ;)

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 869 ✭✭✭honeybadger

have to say me k2 1k is the only bike iv ever owned that has cooperateded with a oil change to the manual spec,hondas yams always wanted more i find

Advertisement