Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do I need UPC or Eircom broadband to use Skype?

• 13-12-2011 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi

I have O2 wireless BB.
    I am setting up Skype but having problems.
    I don't know if it's because my machine uses Windows Vista or because its my BB that's too slow. Problem here is that it seems to begin downloading and an hour later it is still at the same stage

I checked out on the Internet and it does mention problems with Vista and Skype. Note the setup is on a desktop machine (if that makes any difference).

Anyway if i do finally get it setup should i consider switching to UPC or Eircom becasue O2 (or Vodafone) wireless will not be fast enough to support Skype with calls and video?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

What are your internet speeds and latency etc? http://www.irishspeedtest.ie.

Skype supports Windows Vista and it should work provided your equipment and specs meet the requirements. I know some mobile operators block voip connections but I wouldn't recommend using Skype or any voip application by a mobile connection anyway. It is unlikely you will have proper speeds for video and sound anyway. I would recommend you get upc if you want to use skype, and eircom if you can't get UPC or wireless.

Advertisement