Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless strength on UPC - Thomson TWG870

Options
  • 13-12-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I got UPC 100mb broadband and am having a bit of a problem with the wireless signal strength. It is set up correctly as I can pick up the signal and connect to it, however as soon as I leave the room the signal drops significantly. If I cross over to the other side of the house the signal strength has deteriorated significantly.

My neighbour who lives next door also has UPC broadband (not sure of the exact package that they have) but they do not experience this issue and have the same house layout/walls etc. that we do.

Previously we had Vodafone 8mb and were able to pick-up a signal anywhere in the house. This leads me to believe there may be a fault with the router, or some setting that has been changed. I've reset the network/wireless settings to default but the problem persists, the wireless signal is extremely weak.

Should I just go ahead and buy this? http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WR1043ND-Ultimate-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B002YETVTQ

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Buying anything else is a waste of money and time until you know what the problem is. Wireless is susceptible to interference, and this is true for any router.

First step is change the Wireless channel that you broadcast on. If it's the same as your neighbours, then it could be getting interfered with. Use InSSIDer to see what networks are visible, and what channels they use. Pick a free channel, preferable well away from any in use.

Thread also moved to Wireless forum since this is not a Broadband problem, it's a wireless networking problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Dunder Mifflin

Changed wireless channel to a few different ones but the strength hasn't changed too much. UPC said they'll send out a new router but I don't know if that'll make any difference. I've ordered the TP-Link router so will just use that in addition to the Thomson one once it arrives.

Thanks for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Having the exact same problem with the same modem myself. Even moving eight foot away from it in the same room sees the signal drop a couple of bars.

Would I be able to just replace the router with another one like the one Dunder linked to or would it have to be UPC approved?

You have to use the one they gave you unfortunately. I use the Thompson one as a modem only and the TPLink for the wireless. Basically you plug the TPLink into the Thomson, set up a DMZ and disable wifi on the Thomson.

I did what roast suggested in this very helpful post: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=71665694&postcount=452

I haven't installed DDWRT yet but will get around to it at some stage.

Another, perhaps silly question. My parents have an old Cisco UPC router that, while not great, always gave a consistantly strong signal. Would I be able to just replace the Thomson one with that?

• Advertisement

Honestly I'm not sure but I would think so. Give it a go and see what happens :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Switch off everything. Microwaves, lights, TV's, and then check signal strength.

Was having a couple of other problems so had booked an engineer call with UPC. Straight away he swapped it for a Cisco EPC3925 and the entire set-up is running perfectly now.

Wish I took them up on their offer of sending an engineer out now. I thought they'd just replace it with another Thomson one. Glad it worked out for you anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Snazzy_Chazzy

Would plugging another wireless sender device into your thomson increase your signal strenght? Acting like a wirless repeater?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

Was having a couple of other problems so had booked an engineer call with UPC. Straight away he swapped it for a Cisco EPC3925 and the entire set-up is running perfectly now.

I thought only the thomson did the 100mb>??

Advertisement