Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Puppy

• 13-12-2011 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am in the middle of buying a new puppy and have sourced one that I like. However, I am wary as it says the 2 parents are IKC Registered but I was told the pups are not. Is there a reason why this maybe? Also how much less would ye be looking to pay for a puppy that is not IKC registered as opposed to registered?

This is my forst time getting a dog so unsure.

Thanks

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Please do not buy this puppy. Most of the time these pups are not registered because only six litters can be registered through a bitch's lifetime so it is most likely that the bitch is being overbred. It only costs 13euro a pup to register them so I would be demanding to know why they are not registered. Have either of the parents have genetic health tests done? This person is either a backyard breeder or puppy farmer, please do not buy a puppy from these people as all they want is your money and dont care if they sell you a sickly puppy who will likely run you up bills of a thousand+ at the vets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

You may not think that the pup needs to be IKC registered if you don't want to show it etc, but as Shanao says, there is no good reason why pups from two IKC registered parents won't be registered, only bad ones:( Either the bitch is too young or too old to have the pups registered, or she has had too many litters, or she had a litter from her last season, and has just been put straight into pup again.

What breed are you looking for? Maybe someone on here could point you in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Please do NOT buy that puppy. As stated above, there is no good reason not to have it registered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭menu14

Thanks a million lads. Even though this is my first time, I knew something was up. It is a Pug that I was looking for. Really appriciate the help!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭are you serious

Menu14 I'm not a fan of how a lot of people jump to this conclusion that a non registered pup is coming from a BYB or a puppy farm...

However I do agree that you should definitely be asking why the pups are not being registered!

It has not been mentioned to you that maybe one or both of the parents could have a restriction in place on their IKC papers saying they are not to be bred from or that if they are bred from their litter can not be registered.

Also remember just because a pup is IKC registered does not guarantee your buying a healthy pup or one which will not have any in future. It more often than not does guarantee these things but just not always!

Have you seen these pups?
    Have you seen both parents?
    Have you been told you can visit whenever you want?

If no to even one of the above that is when you turn away from this breeder!!!

• Advertisement

garkane wrote: »
    Menu14 I'm not a fan of how a lot of people jump to this conclusion that a non registered pup is coming from a BYB or a puppy farm...

However I do agree that you should definitely be asking why the pups are not being registered!

It has not been mentioned to you that maybe one or both of the parents could have a restriction in place on their IKC papers saying they are not to be bred from or that if they are bred from their litter can not be registered.

Also remember just because a pup is IKC registered does not guarantee your buying a healthy pup or one which will not have any in future. It more often than not does guarantee these things but just not always!

Have you seen these pups?
    Have you seen both parents?
    Have you been told you can visit whenever you want?

If no to even one of the above that is when you turn away from this breeder!!!

I cant really understand what you mean garkane, that they might not be a BYB just because the pups are unregistered, even having a restriction on the parents papers and breeding them instantly spells out Backyard breeder; the restrictions are in place due to pups being sold as pet quality and not for show or breeding because dogs should only be bred to improve on the breed. So only a BYB would then breed this restricted lineage. And I'm fairly certain the breeders of the dogs with restricted papers would be rightly pissed off to learn the dog had been bred.

No it doesn't mean the pup is not of show quality.

Any and all of the Rottweiler breeders I looked up and thought of buying from put this restriction on all of their pups wether being sold as show quality or not.
    They then will remove such restrictions off the papers if and when the new owner has taken their bitch/dog to show and their bitch/dog has been made up to get a title.
    Not sure if all breeds are like this so I stand to be corrected on this I just assumed they were.

I bought my pup knowing she was restricted also not planning on breeding her either. However if down the line if I make her up and I decide to breed her the restriction will be taken off her papers.

Edit :- If I do ever come to breeding her that would only be done through the original breeder who I bought her from and this has been discussed with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

No it doesn't mean the pup is not of show quality.

Any and all of the Rottweiler breeders I looked up and thought of buying from put this restriction on all of their pups wether being sold as show quality or not.
    They then will remove such restrictions off the papers if and when the new owner has taken their bitch/dog to show and their bitch/dog has been made up to get a title.
    Not sure if all breeds are like this so I stand to be corrected on this I just assumed they were.

I bought my pup knowing she was restricted also not planning on breeding her either. However if down the line if I make her up and I decide to breed her the restriction will be taken off her papers.

Edit :- If I do ever come to breeding her that would only be done through the original breeder who I bought her from and this has been discussed with him.

So are you not kind of proving Shanao's point then? If you got the dog made up and you wanted to breed, you would get the restrictions lifted because you can prove to her responsible breeder that she is a good specimen and can add to the breed. So any pups would be registered. Although, I would hope that the restrictions wouldn't be lifted unless she had been health tested as well. Would you breed her without the restrictions being lifted?

How would you feel if you bred her, and put restrictions on her pups, then found out that someone had bred from one of them without getting the restrictions lifted?

In a way you could say I am proving her point but to assume someone who has registered dogs and is not registering their pups is a puppy farmer in my opinion is wrong. We dont know what steps this person with the pups has taken. We don't know if there are restrictions on the parents papers so we can not assume anything about the breeder or these dogs!!!
    What if it was an accidental pregnancy and not planned?
    Yes I know they should have been more carefull and took more precautions but as well all here on boards know not everyone does this or even know when their bitch is in heat never mind knowing how to stop mistakes from ever happening.

Right now I don't plan on ever breeding my bitch bitch but I could change my mind in 2 yes time.
    If I ever did breed her I would actually carry out home testing I would want to speak to the family not just one person. I would call to the house and want to find out everything before I let a pup leave.
    But that's just saying what I would do and if it did happen it would be a long way down the road as right now I know I could not afford another handful of mouths to feed never mind cleaning up mounds of poo!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

I've defended byb here before & I'll probably do it again.

However, it doesn't take a whole lot to get the pups IKC certified. It a very very small ask. If this simple check is overlooked - then what else will be over looked.

Having the cert doesn't prove a whole lot, but not having the cert speaks volumes IMO.

• Advertisement

In a way you could say I am proving her point but to assume someone who has registered dogs and is not registering their pups is a puppy farmer in my opinion is wrong. We dont know what steps this person with the pups has taken. We don't know if there are restrictions on the parents papers so we can not assume anything about the breeder or these dogs!!!
    What if it was an accidental pregnancy and not planned?
    Yes I know they should have been more carefull and took more precautions but as well all here on boards know not everyone does this or even know when their bitch is in heat never mind knowing how to stop mistakes from ever happening.

If someone has two purebred, IKC registered pugs and they accidentally mate, then yes, as far as I'm concerned, this is a byb. Accidental mating proves they weren't responsible breeders; they would have done their all to ensure the dogs wouldn't get at each other of else that the bitch would have been given the morning after injection. BYBs are the very embodiment of irresponsible breeding. Not registering the pups only makes it worse as it is a very simple requirement. Nope, sorry but nothing at all can convince me that this isn't a BYB or puppy farmer.

Advertisement