Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transformers gone in lights.

• 13-12-2011 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks

Neighbour has 2 ceiling rose lights. each take about 10 halogen bulbs. As the bulbs went they replaced them. However one time they left it till a lot went then the transformers blew.

Have you ever hear of this....

Thanks
    Joe

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Sounds like coincidence. Are these the rail type?
    What is the stated max on them? and what did they have in them?

Sounds like it could have been overloaded. Takes a fair bit for these trafos to go. Have you tested the windings? Fuse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Davy i am not an electrician and tbh i have not a clue what you mean by the windings. The trips did not go the transformers just blew.

The lights no longer work. Any ideas.

Do you know what type Trafo they are?

In what way did they blow?

Davy wrote: »
    Do you know what type Trafo they are?

In what way did they blow?

I dont davy. I just know the lights went and a shop told them it might be the transformers. I dont belive this so i am just trying to steer them right.

Tbh like most i dont think they want to get it fixed unless they know a true cost. An electrician was out but said best just to change the lights. He did not even check. This peed them off because he assumes they have the money just to do this.

I am just trying to be helpful. I usually have an electricain on my books but he has just gone to canada and i am not going to bother him there.

Any steer or idea would be nice.

Its impossible to say yes or no on this. Trafos dont just go. A simple check even with a voltmeter could verify it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31 pyromania

did u fit the same wattage bulb,some of those type of light have a fuse in them,may be blown

Silly question... What setting should i set the volt meter on and what reading should i get.

will also look harder and see if fused.

Thanks again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 688 ✭✭✭maxfresh

with the traffo disconnected put meter on ohms and read across the transformer you should get a resistance (say 40 ohms) ,if not the traffo is open circuit or could be short circuit

Advertisement