Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you ever passed off bought food as your own?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

I promised my sister some baked goods for Christmas, but now find I won't have time for them before I go to her place on Saturday. I'm contemplating picking something nice up from the bakers and pretending I did it - it'd have to be something I know the recipe for and pretty easy to make, Chocolate Biscuit Cake or cookies or something.

Anyone outside of poor sitcoms (and Fawlty Towers) ever done anything like this with any degree of success? Ever bought a chinese and put it in a wok? Passed off a Nando's as your own very special peri-peri sauce? Pretended those are your secret mixture of 11 herbs and spices surrounding that chicken leg?

I don't think me not bring baked goods will ruin Christmas, but then again, I really like Chocolate Biscuit cake :p :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Not what you asked people to reply but CBC is so quick to make, I just made one a few minutes ago, you'd have time to make that before the weekend wouldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Acoshla wrote: »
    Not what you asked people to reply but CBC is so quick to make, I just made one a few minutes ago, you'd have time to make that before the weekend wouldn't you?

...maybe. You got a good recipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

SteamedHams.JPG

Odlums one, on their website, I leave out the fruit and nuts mostly, just throw in some chopped hazelnuts and raisins sometimes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭neuro-praxis

Mmmm, steamed hams

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

Aurora borealis? At this time of year? Confined to this room? :P

I always buy puff pastry,and only admit if asked it's store bought :)

can't beat microwave fudge in Xmas prezzie thread for speedy gift too! 15 mins to fudge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

SteamedHams.JPG

Steamed Hams, delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭ICANN

People on come dine with me get away with it all the time. If it comes out of a packet it will taste and look shop bought but if you were to buy something from the bakery you could get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭annamcmahon

I have a cake stall and my stuff is very homemade looking. I've had people tell me they are buying stuff to bring to their kids bring and buy sale and lots of others buy stuff to bring to friends for dessert. I reckon they are claiming they made it.

My mother had a woman who used to bring her own bowls and dishes and get my mother to make her mousses and trifle etc in them, the woman would then pass them off as her own at her parties :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

I certainly have bought stuff from others and brought it to certain events. I don't say I made it though. Why bother if it's good stuff it's good stuff no matter who made it. I do sometimes buy things like ham salad and doctor it up to my own taste. I don't think you should apologize for not having enough time, or energy or expertize to have made it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

Depends on who you're entertaining, me thinks. If your friends are just happy to scoff whatever is put in front of them, then it doesn't matter if they came from a shop, as long as it tastes nice.

I'm sure people will understand if you've been busy; at least you remembered to bring something, even if you didn't make it yourself.

Advertisement