Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what is legal status of pinfire cartridges

Options
  • 13-12-2011 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

just wondering as they are not really centrefire and not rimfire

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭landkeeper

are they not black powder cartridges :confused: in which case they will be a no no !explosives and all that

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Yes, most are indeed BP, so not currently permitted.

Shame really, as there are some truly exquisite pin-fire 12 gauge shotguns in auctions here in UK almost every day of the week all going for pennies - even those made by the better class of makers here and in Ireland.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

tac foley wrote: »
    Yes, most are indeed BP, so not currently permitted.

Shame really, as there are some truly exquisite pin-fire 12 gauge shotguns in auctions here in UK almost every day of the week all going for pennies - even those made by the better class of makers here and in Ireland.

tac

Are you sure about that? The yacht clubs use 10 bore cannon blanks to start races and they're full of blackpowder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

I don't think the fact they are black powder cartridges would mean they are restricted/banned, its loose powder thats in the grey area, i doubt you could get them here anyway , its hard to get anything out of the ordinary here , even shotgun blanks, .22 shorts etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Possibly,I'd say you could own them on a DEACT cert..Dont quote me on it.But in the fact that the ammo hasnt been made commercially for over 150 years it is highly unlikely you are going to go and stock up on it either.
    Also ,that in the fact the gun never had a firing pin itself per se.
    But was in the ammo round,it is more than likely considered already deactivated,as one thing is to remove the firing pin to deact.
    Dangerous enough yokes those.Drop a round of ammo,and it hits the pin and detonates on the ground.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Croppy Boy

If this new explosive legislation ever comes in allowing reloading and blackpowder, you will be able to load you own pinfire cartridges.
    You can get your your hulls here http://www.henrykrank.com/ammunitionreloadingcomponents.html

• Registered Users Posts: 15,026 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Great thing about boards.ie .There is always somone who has an answer for the missing gap in your knowledge!:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Croppy Boy wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? The yacht clubs use 10 bore cannon blanks to start races and they're full of blackpowder.

Ah, well, not being a yottie I didn't know that they were pin-fire cartridges.

However, as with everything, there ARE exemptions and permissions, or else your yachts wouldn't get started and the re-enactors wouldn't be able to fire their muskets.

tac

but the re-enactors can't use bp they have to use pyrodex afaik

landkeeper wrote: »

Over on another board I've just been talking to a re-enactor who shoots BP in muskets and cannons - as at Malahide earlier this year.

tac

• Advertisement

you could give Boyd Rankin a ring http://www.irisharms.ie/index.htm
    he would know for sure as he does nothing but that sort of stuff now, for films shows and such like and makes all his own arms including a working cannon. a very knowledgeable bloke my last chat with him on the subject was admittedly a year or so ago lead me to believe there was no black powder use in ROI as the ptb were not issuing whatever the permit was for black powder and that they were all using pyrodex which is a much much more stable product and not classed as an explosive

That's very odd - well, to me it is anyhow - the fact that a propellant like Pyrodex has been admitted to being a propellant and not an explosive - unlike it seems, every other propellant.

Perhaps this means that eventually the ordinary Joe will eventually be able to buy the stuff and shoot muzzle-loading firearms, or blackpowder cartridge firearms...

Let's hope so.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I'd love to be able to collect miniature firearms that use the likes
    of those tiny tiny 2mm pinfire type cartridges & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_mm_Kolibri
    (Pity they might not be treated the same as a cap guns)
    LefaivreN2.jpg
    smg_title.jpg
    ~B

• Registered Users Posts: 13,438 ✭✭✭✭thermo

landkeeper wrote: »

thats not true, we use BP in the muskets and cannon.

bullets wrote: »
    I'd love to be able to collect miniature firearms that use the likes
    of those tiny tiny 2mm pinfire type cartridges & http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_mm_Kolibri
    (Pity they might not be treated the same as a cap guns)
    LefaivreN2.jpg
    smg_title.jpg
    ~B

The eu15,000 sticker price for the Luger might present a bit of head-scratchin' but then again, maybe not.

What would your 'good reason' to own it be? Protection against the 'wee folk'?

tac

Advertisement