Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Secondary School's detention

• 13-12-2011 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hello, I was wondering does the school have to give the parent of the child detained 24 hour notice before the detention takes place?
    (After school detention)

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭Boober Fraggle

What does the school's Code of Behaviour say on the matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭mick145

What does the school's Code of Behaviour say on the matter?
    It's says that any student violating school rules will be put into after school detention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

The school can't give a detention without you knowing, that would be illegal. They do have to notify you but I'm not sure if there would have to be a certain period of notice. I know in my school the teachers aren't allowed give a detenton for the current day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Unfortunately you nearly need to apologise to Parents these days when you give detention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I believe most schools policies is to have detention on a certain day, and send a letter home to the parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 rocketman2010

I believe most schools policies is to have detention on a certain day, and send a letter home to the parents.

+1 And if for some reason the child can't do the detention it rolls forward to following week. But there would have to be at least 24 hrs notice given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭✭heate

Detention was always a good deterrent when I was in school.
    We always had to get the slip signed by a parent and it was held twice a week so there was always ample time to inform the parents of your impending lost hour!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

We have detention every day. They break the rules, they get detention.
    It is in the code of conduct both the student and parent signed, so 24 hours notice is not necessary. They know the score.

They can whinge all they like, but the bottom line is, some kids never get detention because they have discovered/learned/cogged/got notes on that if you play by the rules you don't get detention.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭molard

spurious wrote: »
    We have detention every day. They break the rules, they get detention.
    It is in the code of conduct both the student and parent signed, so 24 hours notice is not necessary. They know the score.

They can whinge all they like, but the bottom line is, some kids never get detention because they have discovered/learned/cogged/got notes on that if you play by the rules you don't get detention.

when is this code of conduct signed.is it on the school webpage .is it one strick and u are in detention or do the students get a warning. are the student in the care of a member of staff.iis their set times and duties.in my kids school code of contact is left up to the teachers.the teachers decide who gets detention and for how long.
    i do agree that when u break the rules u get detention .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

doc_17 wrote: »
    Unfortunately you nearly need to apologise to Parents these days when you give detention!

in the nineties a teacher could keep an entire class behind after school if one or two were messing and they would not give any prior notice.how times have changed.

it can be awkward if the parent disagrees with why you gave the detention. every school does it differently, but in general you need to give 24 hours notice. this does not count for lunchtime detention. Some schools have organised detention after school. it is helpful if you explain exactly why you are giving the detention either in the journal or a note home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭Caught

In my school you get detention on Friday if the parent signs the permission slip by Friday. If it's Thursday and the student forgets the permission slip for the Friday, it's moved to the next Friday.

Parents are also text about the student getting detention usually. If the student doesn't bring in the slip a few days in a row, or they don't show up, they're given an extra detention.

Detention lasts one hour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,994 ✭✭✭doc_17

Keeping kids back after school should require at least a days notice thoughto be fair.

I think detention in lots of circumstances is not a very useful or effective tool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

molard wrote: »
    when is this code of conduct signed.is it on the school webpage .is it one strick and u are in detention or do the students get a warning. are the student in the care of a member of staff.iis their set times and duties.in my kids school code of contact is left up to the teachers.the teachers decide who gets detention and for how long.
    i do agree that when u break the rules u get detention .

The code of conduct is on the school website and in each student's journal.
    The parents and students sign a copy on enrolment, then they both sign the copy in the journal and also a copy in the school at the start of each year.
    Two to three staff supervise the detention every day, depending on numbers.
    The detention time is 3.30 to 4.30 (Mon, Tue, Thu, Fri) and 12.50 to 1.50 on Wednesday. Anyone late for school gets detention.

Some kids are let go fifteen minutes or so early, especially if they haven't given any trouble in detention, but there is always the hard core who never learn, so they are generally there til the bitter end.

There is also detention by individual teachers for various classroom infringements, but the general detention covers lates, coming to class without equipment, no homework, that sort of thing.

They are free to do something productive in detention, such as homework, but again, the hard core will sit there and say they have nothing to do, thus ensuring the time passes very slowly for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭Dionysus

And if for some reason the child can't do the detention it rolls forward to following week. But there would have to be at least 24 hrs notice given.

Not where I am when it comes to detention within school hours (i.e. lunchtime). It can be given for that day's lunchtime. They have a right to eat, so five minutes at the start or end of lunch, or allowing them to eat during detention covers that. Somebody else said detention can be ineffective. I agree with this to a point. I think detention would be more effective if their right to eat were confined to the smaller break.

At the moment, the "right to eat" during detention allows for them to make a big scene when their friends come in with their food from the shop, or when they come late for detention saying they had to eat (i.e. they use an opportunity to show off their defiance in front of the other "detainees"). After that, they have an obligation to do their detention. If they don't disturb the class, they don't get detention. It really is that fair. And, given that in my case it is usually my own time I'm giving up to give detention the notion that I would relish giving it is risible.

Advertisement