Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Awkward Christmas Present request!

• 13-12-2011 7:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭

Hope I'm in the right place here...

My daughter (11) has asked me for some Speech & Drama-type books for Xmas... she was hoping for some kind of study-guides, for the want of a better word, to help her when writing plays, short-stories etc...

Can anybody recommend anything suitable? Apologies for the vague description... she loves her S&D and is always writing little plays, short-stories etc, I hope she keeps it up...

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Thread moved from Burlesque & Cabaret. Perhaps not the most suitable forum for recommending childrens books. :cool:
    I hope the OP and the mods of CW are OK with my moving the post here. I can't think of a more suitable forum - 'cept perhaps the Festive and Gift forum.

/Waves to the lovely mods of CW

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

OldGoat wrote: »
    Thread moved from Burlesque & Cabaret

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Antilles wrote: »
    :eek:
    Actually, now that I think about it, not so strange a place to pop such a request after all. The performers write outlines and then script the sketches and acts they perform. These sketches can be anything from a couple of minutes to 20 minutes long and are frequently very complex pieces.
    Then they get their tassels out. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

There's a Publishing Company called Dramatic Lines who do all sorts of handbooks covering Speech and Drama, Musical Theatre and Acting for Auditions etc. All above links are to Amazon for reference but I'm sure Easons or some of the bigger book shops would have them in stock.

Some might be a bit too technical for an 11 year old (or not) but actually if you do a search on Amazon there are some other great books that you could see if you could source locally in time for Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 424 ✭✭meganj

Op I just did a quick search on Amazon for 'write your own...' and it came up with loads of books! When I was a kind I was really into writing as well and someone bought me a write your own story book and I LOVED IT! It was actually the best present ever.

Might be something you could consider for your daughter? You might be best hitting some of the bookshops in town (easons, H&F, etc) and seeing if anyone in the kids section can give you some tips.

http://tiny.cc/nhuoq is the link to amazon (the reason it's a tiny url is because the actual url was far far far too long!).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

Gail Carson Levine's 'Writing Magic' is a good guide to creative writing for that age group - it's not specifically about drama, but is relevant for all kinds of writing and storytelling.

Advertisement