Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Prostitution be Legalised on Catherine street?

• 13-12-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭

Following on from a recent discussion thread, I'm interested in peoples opinions. It seems illegal prostitution is widespread on this street every night, and a recent Garda sting named and shamed punters rather that criminal gangs.

Should prostitution be Legalised on Catherine street?

I'm asking specifically in regard to this one contained but central location, where prostitution would become regulated in an Amsterdam style Red Light District.

A lot of opinions were voiced on the previous discussion thread saying that the organised crime gangs behind the illegal activities should have been targeted in the Garda sting operation.

Many people also suggested that decriminalization of prostitution makes a safer environment for everyone living in the city, and takes it away from organised crime gangs.

What do you think?

Should prostitution be Legalised on Catherine street? 40 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    55% 22 votes
    Don't know, or I have another opinion on the matter
    45% 18 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭adaminho

While I think prostitution should be legalized why name Catherine street as a designated area? Why not the dock road area (an area that for years was the hub of the trade). If we are legalizing it, taxing it and trying to make it respectable why not put somewhere like the Ennis road or O'Connell Avenue. Oh wait the councilors would have something to say about that!

I work around that part of town, why should my employer pay massive rates to drive people away with a street full of hookers!

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

adaminho wrote: »
    While I think prostitution should be legalized why name Catherine street as a designated area? Why not the dock road area (an area that for years was the hub of the trade). If we are legalizing it, taxing it and trying to make it respectable why not put somewhere like the Ennis road or O'Connell Avenue. Oh wait the councilors would have something to say about that!

I work around that part of town, why should my employer pay massive rates to drive people away with a street full of hookers!

You could have the local business sponsor a prostitute, like they do with christmas decorations. Instead of tinsel, they get big fake boobies. Instead of lights, some form of facial reconstruction. Wreaths? Thigh high boots.

Would probably bring up the tone of the street long term. It'll be like pretty woman, but without the hairy armpits.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

thebigmc wrote: »
    Following on from a recent discussion thread, I'm interested in peoples opinions. It seems illegal prostitution is widespread on this street every night, and a recent Garda sting named and shamed punters rather that criminal gangs.

Should prostitution be Legalised on Catherine street?

What do you think?

I don't believe that street prostitution should ever be legalised - the risks of forced prostitution are simply too high. If it mut be legalised, and I have no strong opinion either way, it should be in an environment that can be properly regulated.

Anyone using a street prostitute has no way of knowing whether the prostitute is a willing participant - therefore they are potentially committing an act of rape.
    More 'naming and shaming' would make most men think twice about the potential implications of what they were thinking about doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭the drifter

Mmm ok lets see where this goes...this could turn into a good discussion. Remember folks after hours is that way--->

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

hahahaha this is nuts but ok, ummmm would city centre residents get a discounted rate for supporting local businesses then??

or perhaps a loyalty card?

:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

NewHillel wrote: »
    I don't believe that street prostitution should ever be legalised - the risks of forced prostitution are simply too high. If it mut be legalised, and I have no strong opinion either way, it should be in an environment that can be properly regulated.

I agree, if prostitution was to be legalised it would have to be in a regulated environment, not just out on the street, thats what I mean by an Amsterdam style red light district. Catherine street would be the area where these brothels are legalised. I have no idea but I presume the current situation is that illegal brothels are running there already? Like you, I also have no strong opinion, but I'm interested in general opinion among boards readers.
    NewHillel wrote: »
    Anyone using a street prostitute has no way of knowing whether the prostitute is a willing participant - therefore they are potentially committing an act of rape.
    More 'naming and shaming' would make most men think twice about the potential implications of what they were thinking about doing.
    This is an argument for having regulated a red light district in my opinion, 'naming and shaming' isn't an issue where it is decriminalised and regulated. Outside the redlight district, soliciting prostitution becomes much more of a 'naming and shaming' offence.

constantg wrote:
    hahahaha this is nuts but ok, ummmm would city centre residents get a discounted rate for supporting local businesses then??

or perhaps a loyalty card?

Every business does seems to be doing a good loyalty card offer at the moment, Maybe there would be something along the lines of "Dealz". An international discount store coming into town with fixed low prices across the board. The revenues lower 9% VAT hospitality and tourism sector rate would surely help attract the multinationals.

Sex is a massive industry in Amsterdam, attracting millions of euros of tourists money into the city every year. Of course, most Dutch people never go near that part of the city, and live their lives happily and prostitute free.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

dude, twas a joke...

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭thebigmc

but I was completely serious about a "Dealz brothel" - everything €1.49

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

I agree, if prostitution was to be legalised it would have to be in a regulated environment, not just out on the street, thats what I mean by an Amsterdam style red light district.
    On balance, I would support this. (I don't like it, but prostitution is not going to go away.)
    Catherine street would be the area where these brothels are legalised. I have no idea but I presume the current situation is that illegal brothels are running there already? Like you, I also have no strong opinion, but I'm interested in general opinion among boards readers.
    To me, this is an issue for the residents and rate-paying businesses in that area. I wouldn't like to see it myself, it could be the final nail in the coffin for Limerick city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Should be legalised and taxed imo...as should certain drugs like cannabis.

The authorities can try all they like, but while there is a demand someone will provide a product / service. The demand is not going to go away for either sex or getting high...and people will pay for both.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Simon Adebisi

Brothels should be legalised but no street prostitution. It will always attract a dodgy element.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

people treating other people merely as commodities should never be legalised.

to those that say they should have gone after the criminal gangs that perpetrate this behaviour and not the people who avail of the services of people who sell their bodies for financial renumeration-

these criminal gangs are merely exploiting a supply and demand market. they'd do the same if candyfloss was outlawed in the morning. if you arrest the people who avail of these services, then it serves as a deterrent to other people who may have thought of availing of these services.

what im saying is- by taking away the markets target participants, you effectively do away with the market. the criminals will find something else to make money off besides exploiting other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Eire4Lyf

ya man i luv riding sluts

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,002 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Closing this thread because the law on prostitution is for the whole country, not just in Limerick so I don't see how a regional section is an appropriate area for the discussion.

Also, I will be dealing with individual posts in turn.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement