Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork City Residents Parking Permit

Options
  • 13-12-2011 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Bloody nightmare!!!

Iv moved to cork 3 weeks ago and have on street parking outside my door and I'm aware I need a permit but by Jesus it's easier to get mortgage than get one of those permits.

The list of documents they need is endless plus most the documents I need are in the post due to having a new address - log book, insurance , bank statements & utility bills. They even want to get on the electoral register for the new address.

Anyway whilst waiting for these for this documents iv received about 3-4 fines even though iv a note on the windows stating the above plus my phone number and yet the idiots still fine me. What choice have I got like? I have to park outside my house as iv a disabled 3 year old & a little 1 year old. Can I appeal these fines once iv got the permit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Do you have a Blue Badge?

Go to the council with what you have and see if you can get some visitor permits to tide you over until you are sorted.

They aren't "idiots", they know perfectly well what some people get up to.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

I sympathise with the OP and have to disagree with Victor. The system is completely broken. The list of requirements is ridiculous and seems solely designed to put honest people off, while several people I know of have obtained permits despite not living at the address claimed.

I would appeal the fines straight away but wouldn't hold out too much hope, having seen the letter that gets sent out in response to appeals. Curiously, these appeals get turned around with incredible efficiency compared to every other aspect of this "service". If it went to court you'd probably have a good chance, but who wants to do that?

A big tip for future reference (probably too late for the OP now): you own the house, rather than rent it.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

Victor wrote: »
    Do you have a Blue Badge?

Go to the council with what you have and see if you can get some visitor permits to tide you over until you are sorted.

They aren't "idiots", they know perfectly well what some people get up to.
    Apologies for calling them idiots but as you can imagine its so frustrating the way the system works. Iv no blue badge yet as the little fella is only 3 year old so he's still using a buggy as do most 3 year olds so will be a year or two until I get one I'd imagine. I'll head down there tommorow and hopefully get some sort of temporary pass as these fines are going to cripple my young family financially

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭ComeraghBlue

I sympathise with the OP and have to disagree with Victor. The system is completely broken. The list of requirements is ridiculous and seems solely designed to put honest people off, while several people I know of have obtained permits despite not living at the address claimed.

I would appeal the fines straight away but wouldn't hold out too much hope, having seen the letter that gets sent out in response to appeals. Curiously, these appeals get turned around with incredible efficiency compared to every other aspect of this "service". If it went to court you'd probably have a good chance, but who wants to do that?

A big tip for future reference (probably too late for the OP now): you own the house, rather than rent it.
    Hi,
    Thanks for the reply & regarding the big tip, does it make much difference? Haven't got that far yet but when I rang they said I need letting agreements & a letter from the landlord.

The big tip is probably illegal, as it would be misrepresentation. So it's up to you to decide to do it or not :)
    From what I remember, the process is a bit more straightforward for owner-occupiers as they are asked for less documentation and there's no need to get a landlord involved.
    But really, if the council have any sense they should expedite your case if you explain your position to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Vivara

I have had A LOT of experience with this — my family own a lot of apartment blocks in the city without parking, etc.

Trust me, you will never, ever, ever get a parking permit. Give up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Diziet

Vivara wrote: »
    I have had A LOT of experience with this — my family own a lot of apartment blocks in the city without parking, etc.

That's ridiculous, of course the OP will get a parking permit. Just get the documents together and submit them. Go and talk to the council in the meantime, with as much supporting documentation as you can. They have no personal interest in withholding permits. Space in the city is at a premium, so some rigorous checks are unavoidable. Once you have the docs, you have a temporary permit the same day and the permanent one follows in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

It's an awful lot of hassle! I lived in Cork during college and had a note up at the start, they give you a temporary one as soon as far as i know you get the documents together, They have become a lot more frequent up around the UCC area, especially the clampers!!! Cork is awful for parking, major head ache

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Vivara wrote: »

Property owners who don't live at the address won't get a permit. People living in purpose-built apartment blocks / with their own parking won't get permits.

Residents living in houses and converted buildings are likely to get permits.

Permits do not guarantee the availability of parking.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭deecee1

I have a residential parking permit and totally agree the amount of paper work needed is absolutley ridiculous however if you do get the paper work together you will get one, it can take nearly two months to actually get the physical permit however once you've provided the paper work etc and paid the 10 euros you will get a receipt which you can display on your windscreen until your permit arrives. The documentation for renters and an owner occupiers is exactly the same but an owner/occupier can have the permit for 2 years. Word of warning check the date on your permit. They put the date of issue not the date of expiry on my permit and I've gotten a fine in the last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Sorry to drag up an old thread.

I've submitted the application form for a Resident's Parking Disc with all of the relevant accompanying documentation and the postal order. Does anyone know how long I can expect to have to wait to receive the disc? As I've sent this application via the post I've not received a receipt from the City Council and can therefore not display this in the meantime. Is there anything which I could do to enable me to park my car outside my house whilst I await the disc?

Thanks.

You would have been better to call into the office they give you the disc on the spot now once you have all the documents in order. Not much you can do in the mean time bar appeal any ticket you get I suppose.

Also for anyone else reading the thread they have relaxed the conditions for getting the permit too. No need to be registered to vote/get a signature from a commissioner of the oaths. Insurance at the address, car registered at the address, one utility bill and the form signed is all that's required as far as I remember.

You would have been better to call into the office they give you the disc on the spot now once you have all the documents in order. Not much you can do in the mean time bar appeal any ticket you get I suppose.
    I hadn't realised that. It would have been handier alright. Ah well, hopefully it won't take too long now. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Lemag wrote: »
    Sorry to drag up an old thread.

I've submitted the application form for a Resident's Parking Disc with all of the relevant accompanying documentation and the postal order. Does anyone know how long I can expect to have to wait to receive the disc? As I've sent this application via the post I've not received a receipt from the City Council and can therefore not display this in the meantime. Is there anything which I could do to enable me to park my car outside my house whilst I await the disc?

Thanks.

You could give them a call next week and ask them to send you out a receipt while your waiting. I think it can take a while to get the actual disk so no harm in asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My one took about 2 weeks. I often see windscreens with paper saying "waiting for permit"...don't know if that would stop them from giving you a ticket though!

northgirl wrote: »
    You could give them a call next week and ask them to send you out a receipt while your waiting. I think it can take a while to get the actual disk so no harm in asking.
    Thanks for the suggestion. It can do no harm to chase it up with a phone call.
    Lia_lia wrote: »
    My one took about 2 weeks. I often see windscreens with paper saying "waiting for permit"...don't know if that would stop them from giving you a ticket though!
    Thanks. It's good to know how long I might have to wait.

Just an update, I submitted my application via the post on Thursday last week and it arrived today. Less than a week so it was a pretty quick turnaround time.

Lemag wrote: »
    Just an update, I submitted my application via the post on Thursday last week and it arrived today. Less than a week so it was a pretty quick turnaround time.

That's great. I had long waits previously but it's been a couple of years since I applied for my last one. I sent mine off yesterday so hopefully it will come soon.

northgirl wrote: »
    That's great. I had long waits previously but it's been a couple of years since I applied for my last one. I sent mine off yesterday so hopefully it will come soon.
    I rang them to inquire about how long I could expect to wait. They were very helpful even offered me the option to collect it directly from them if I needed it sooner.

it arrived by post today - so quick!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Blackstar767

Is it possible to get a residence parking permit anywhere?
    I'm completely new to all this. I'm looking at a flat in the city centre and the only option that the landlord mentioned was to rent space for the car, which might be up to 120/month. Council won't give me any answers unless I actually apply. My worry is I'll take the flat and then won't be able to get the permit, and will be paying fecking 120/m for the rest of the year, excuse my french...

It depends on when the flat/apartment was constructed, and if there is off-street parking constructed as part of the development. Some apartments have off-street parking but the owners rent it out separately. In that case a permit would be refused AFAIK, but it's probably a grey area.

https://www.corkcity.ie/en/council-services/services/parking-services/parking-permits/parking-permits.html?searchTermId=221
    In accordance with the policy of Cork City Council a residents parking permit will not be issued in the following cases:

Residents of a purpose built apartment block where off street parking has been constructed as part of the development will not be eligible for a residents permit.
    Residents of a purpose built apartment block where development of the complex was completed after March 2004 will not be eligible for a residents permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭blindsider

If you read the thread, you'll see that you will need to provide documentation - it's a pain in the neck as an owner/occupier - and worse as a tenant!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,005 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

blindsider wrote: »
    If you read the thread, you'll see that you will need to provide documentation - it's a pain in the neck as an owner/occupier - and worse as a tenant!

It's not half as bad as it used to be.
    It's really not that much of a dose anymore.

Also, they don't check or ask for proof if you are the owner or not. Only difference is that you can get a 2 year permit if you are an owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Frenchie2000

Hello,

Brining up a very old thread so hopefully I still get some answers. Does the council call the landlord to check that the person requesting the parking permit still lives at the address provided ?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

We applied for and received a permit in April. We had to provide RTB registration number / proof, proofs of address and provide a lease. Landlord never mentioned to us if they were contacted.

Advertisement