Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help! My rads ain't working from my back boiler

• 13-12-2011 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi all,

I'm a newbie here and I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a dual heating system. the oil burner side is working fine, all rads heating. When I use my back boiler however none of the rads heat and I get a banging sound as the water in the systems is overheating. Originally the problem was intermittant, I got a plumber to look at it he said it was probably the circulation pump, he free'd up the pump and told me the next time it happens change it (a handy job he said). Sure enough a few weeks later it happened again. So I changed the pump, no change. Tried bleeding the pump made sure all valves are open etc. Tried calling plumber again and he's not answering :mad:. What else can I try?? PS the pump is def switching on and direction seems correct. HELP. I'll never hear the end of it if I can't light a fire over Xmax.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 keith_kiki

did you check the valves for the pump???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

As previous poster said.. check for any valves on the system that may not be opening, thermostatic valves particularly..
    If there is a stat for the circulating pump see if it is wired to anything other than powering the pump..

Are you sure the pump is bleed?? It can completly stop it working if there is air in it...

Have you tried having on the oil and lighting the fire too, try bleeding the pump then too. It may be air trapped in a bend somewhere so having theoil and a fire on may help shift it...

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sophreni

It's a pretty old system, so the valves are manual and I checked them again they are fine, The stat is switching the pump only, I tried bleeding again only a few drops come out though. If i bleed it while the pump is on I get an unpleasent noise:eek:. I just noticed the pump is on the return and the direction arrow is in the opposite direction to the non-return valve?? So i'm going to turn it around and light a small fire and hope it doesn't go bang, fingers crossed,

• Registered Users Posts: 4 sophreni

Well thats a relief, I did have it reversed:o. I followed the motor rotation from the pump I removed as there was no flow indication on the original. The motor rotation seems to be in the opposite direction. thanks for ye're help guys.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1 damien flanagan

hi there,damien here ive been trying to get my rads heated from my back boiler but nothing. Ive oil system aswell
    and the rads heat fine.but as i said no rads heat from the solid fuel. ive bleeded all rads and no air trapped. all valves are open.the tempature is 0n 30 on the termastat if i try to turn it up the circulation stops head is recked please help as i dont wont to spend big money on plumer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Dtp79

hi there,damien here ive been trying to get my rads heated from my back boiler but nothing. Ive oil system aswell
    and the rads heat fine.but as i said no rads heat from the solid fuel. ive bleeded all rads and no air trapped. all valves are open.the tempature is 0n 30 on the termastat if i try to turn it up the circulation stops head is recked please help as i dont wont to spend big money on plumer
    Getting a plumber Take a look at it wouldn't cost much. Where abouts are you from?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Dtp79 wrote: »
    Getting a plumber Take a look at it wouldn't cost much. Where abouts are you from?

Yea. You need to get a plumber. The problem is more than likely rather simple.

If you are getting absolutely no heat to the rads it's either a pump stat or valve of some sorts but without seeing it on site it's impossible to determine.

Start by following the heat from the boiler..it's the top pipe. .does it make it as far as the copper cylinder hot?

Advertisement