Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DJ's in Galway?

Options
  • 13-12-2011 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Thanks to everyone who posted and pm'd me. Got sorted thanks to a boards.ie member. Got a DJ (DJ John Staunton) to do our songs, lengthily play time,providing lights and all within budget. Delighted. Appreciate all the help everyone have me.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Not trying to be funny but if all the dj's you're calling are overpriced do you not think that maybe you're not budgeting enough for one?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Acoshla wrote: »
    Not trying to be funny but if all the dj's you're calling are overpriced do you not think that maybe you're not budgeting enough for one?

Perhaps.I asked the venue how much I would get a DJ for and am basing my price on what they told me. only problem is that I cannot find one at that price!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

Are you looking for DJ with full setup like turntables and speakers? Maybe it will help if you describe the venue and what you are after? How many people are you inviting? What type of music? How big is the venue? You say you are providing the music, do you mean you have a set list of songs "on paper" or CDs/Storage? How much were you quoted, if you don't want to say here, you can PM me (or what your budget is). Not sure I will be able to help but maybe, I can ask around.

Another idea could be to ask in a couple of rural pubs (if you are passing one) what DJs they use and get the phone number. Will probably do it cheaper.

There are places you can rent speakers / a system but would not work that well to connect an Ipod to just like that - in theory it can be done / works but you'd be wasting all night just looking after that plus risk of damage / failure tidying up etc...I am assuming that you want this to be "perfect" since you are planning it 3 months in advance :-)

My 2c

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭BhoscaCapall

If you have a set playlist then why are you even hiring a DJ ....

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Winston79

Anyone I phone is either extortionately expensive or unavailable!

How much is extorionately expensive?

• Advertisement

Winston79 wrote: »
    Anyone I phone is either extortionately expensive or unavailable!

How much is extorionately expensive?
    I got 2 quotes of 650 and one for 500.
    My budget is 200-250.

Someone asked why I need a DJ if I have a set playlist. Reason is I need speakers and someone to set it up as I don't want to have to do it myself!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

My budget is 200-250.

Someone asked why I need a DJ if I have a set playlist. Reason is I need speakers and someone to set it up as I don't want to have to do it myself!!

I know nothing about DJs but something occurs to me.

Use of equipment (amps, decks, laptops, speakers etc.), transport equipment to the venue, transport DJ him/herself to venue, set up equipment, play for three hours, dismantle equipment, transport back to base. Say all that takes about 5 hours with thousands of euro worth of equipment, that's €40 an hour if you're going to pay €200. Good luck trying to get anyone skilled in any trade/profession providing their own equipment at €40 an hour.

churchview wrote: »
    My budget is 200-250.

I know nothing about DJs but something occurs to me.

Use of equipment (amps, decks, laptops, speakers etc.), transport equipment to the venue, transport DJ him/herself to venue, set up equipment, play for three hours, dismantle equipment, transport back to base. Say all that takes about 5 hours with thousands of euro worth of equipment, that's €40 an hour if you're going to pay €200. Good luck trying to get anyone skilled in any trade/profession providing their own equipment at €40 an hour.

Well this is what the venue told me I would get someone for!!!

I got married in the height if the boom in 2007 and my DJ who was excellent cost €300. Unfortunately he is no longer in this country but considering there is now a recession I would assume that costs in all areas have come down and expecting to find a DJ for €50 less than I paid in the height of the boom is not unreasonable IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Hi,

I need the set to be for at least 3 hours,preferably more! And I will be giving a set play list!

Lap top.
    Winamp.

Well this is what the venue told me I would get someone for!!!

The thing is, that's maybe what the venue would get someone for. The DJ would have less hassle dealing with a venue and would likely generate repeat business. They'd take less profit/no profit for the chance of future cashflow. Same way any business would operate really.
    I got married in the height if the boom in 2007 and my DJ who was excellent cost €300. Unfortunately he is no longer in this country but considering there is now a recession I would assume that costs in all areas have come down and expecting to find a DJ for €50 less than I paid in the height of the boom is not unreasonable IMO.

You're presuming that costs for the business (DJ) have gone down since 2007. If anything they've likely gone up.

Good luck with the search anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

http://www.soundtolight.ie/rental.asp?page=3
    http://www.alexfernie.com/

Depending on the size of the venue etc you could maybe get away with borrowing someone's home system and just hook your laptop up to that.
    I did a friends work Christmas party by using a laptop, her home system (quite big, she likes her music) and downloading a free mp3 mixer.
    Maybe 10-15 people dancing at any one time and it still sounded ok.

churchview wrote: »

You're presuming that costs for the business (DJ) have gone down since 2007. If anything they've likely gone up.

Good luck with the search anyway.
    Why would they have gone up???
    If they have their equipment for the last number of years then why would they the cost have gone up??

Biko thanks -missed your post first time round.that's a good idea!!

Why would they have gone up???
    If they have their equipment for the last number of years then why would they the cost have gone up??

Off the top of my head. Petrol/Diesel, cost of financing equipment, taxation, insurance etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭RichT

Saturday in March 2012...... 3rd, 10th, 17th, 24th, 31st?

One on those dates might be more expensive than the others as England are playing Ireland in the the final 6 Nations game. ;)

RichT wrote: »

One on those dates might be more expensive than the others as England are playing Ireland in the the final 6 Nations game. ;)

No the date's the 3rd...it was chosen so as not to clash with any major sporting event!!

I'd say it being Paddys day is an even bigger problem :D

I'd recommend Ronan Lardner as a DJ Galwaygirlee, but he is usually busy so dont know if he would be available. I dont have his number to hand at the minute but I will try to get it later.

Dya Think?

Yep...and the GAA club games!!

I'd second the recco for Ronan Lardner aka DJ Ronaldino.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

Do it yourself.....the days of hiring a 'DJ' are long gone unless you're looking for a Tong/Tiesto vibe. Get the venue to help out re: PA and as someone else suggested Laptop/Winamp. Get a radio mic for yourself also and give your guests half hour sets if you like. Lot more fun than having to fork out hard earned for something you can do yourself.....

Enjoy!

SAINTRON wrote: »
    Do it yourself.....the days of hiring a 'DJ' are long gone unless you're looking for a Tong/Tiesto vibe. Get the venue to help out re: PA and as someone else suggested Laptop/Winamp. Get a radio mic for yourself also and give your guests half hour sets if you like. Lot more fun than having to fork out hard earned for something you can do yourself.....

Enjoy!

I might have to do this...but I want to be able to enjoy the party and not have to be worrying about the music! I'm a bit of a technophobe when it comes to things like this but if I could just get a DJ to do it for a reasonable price it would take the pressure off me!

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

If you have a laptop running WINAMP and you have your playlist, ie the actual MP3s, you've got the main ingredients. Identify a friend that is 'savvy' and they can monitor it for you. Your main problem may be PA if the venue has no setup. Most 'party rooms' have this as standard now though so it shouldn't be a problem. Ask them can you do a dry run some Sunday morning.

Best of luck with it, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭karl bracken

Them prices you were quoted are mental iv been dj'n 13 years and the most you would pay for a party is 300 max, weddings up to 500-600
    iv done 21st and the like for 200 but thats for friends, 250 is reasonable when you take in costs of gear, travel and giving up a saturday night for a once off party for some random person, its not like your a club offering me a regular wk end gig.
    how many parties have you been to and walked away complaining about the DJ??!!
    Sure thats how easy it is, get your TVs surround sound plug in the ipod and away you go... try the catering as well, anyone can make a sandwich lol
    You get what you pay for, stay away from young lads with 2 gigs under their belt, if you have a party the last thing you want is to worry about how professional a DJ is going to be.
    Ask your mates about DJ's they have used and call them.
    Im in Oz now so not working at home but PM me and i will give you my old managers number he does lots of parties.

Where is your event on? If you're hiring somewhere I'd have thought they would already have a sound system. If it's at home, just buy some good 2.1 speakers with a sub-woofer, some of them are very loud. Alternatively just rent an amp or borrow one from someone who plays guitar, they are incredibly loud!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

You could do it yourself as others have suggested, but then you will have the hassle of sourcing decent gear / amps / lights / extension leads.

You will also have put all the stuff together before the party and take it down afterwards. It's not advisable to leave the gear in the hotel overnight, or in a car which will be parked overnight, as it could go missing.

A set-list is fine if it's a smallish crowd who all enjoy the genre of music. If however, the age of the crowd varies, or their taste in music-genre varies, you could find yourself having to switch playlists fairly often, with interruptions in-between. Any prolonged silence will have the crowd heading off the dancefloor and to the bar.

3 hours or longer, is an extremely long time if you have no human interaction with the crowd - a good dj will make the 3 hrs seem like 1 hour, but having no dj, and a set list that plays for 3 hrs might seem like an eternity.

It can take 3 - 4 decent songs to get people out dancing, but it only takes 1 bad or unsuitable song to have them rushing towards the bar.

I would definately use a dj. I doubt you will get one for 200-250, but it shouldn't cost over 500€ either. Keep looking. You still have time.

Personally I would much rather be at a party with an mp3 player/laptop with internet than have a DJ, but like I said it depends where it is. If it's in a hired location then not having a DJ would be a bit odd tbh

I just wanted to thank everyone who replied to my plea! I am happy to say that a boards.ie member recommended someone to me (DJ John Staunton) and he is working out within budget, willing to play our songs AND providing lights too!
    So I am going with him but thanks for all the other suggestions. And thanks to everyone who pm'd me too. Much appreciated.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement