Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

highest wave ever recorded Today !!

Options
  • 13-12-2011 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭

At 14.00 today (Tuesday 13th December 2011), the M4 weather buoy off the Donegal coast recorded a maximum wave height of 20.4 metres which is the highest maximum wave recorded in Irish waters.

See Met eireann for details

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

greenpilot wrote: »
    At 14.00 today (Tuesday 13th December 2011), the M4 weather buoy off the Donegal coast recorded a maximum wave height of 20.4 metres which is the highest maximum wave recorded in Irish waters.

Wow. It would be very interesting to see a graph of wave heights during the day to see if it was one of these guys or a continuous set of waves.

I guess Eagle Island would also be interesting at the moment - hopefully not as bad as it was in 1894.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Transatlantic rowers rescued after boat is struck by 'enormous wave' 500 miles south-west of Canary Islands guardian.co.uk
    In a dramatic message to race organisers Sauer told how the pair were changing places in the boat when disaster struck on Tuesday evening.
    "The ocean was quite calm. We were in great spirits after the first eight days in the race. Suddenly our boat was rocked by an enormous wave, the size of which we've never seen before. Our boat was thrown over and capsized. The cabin flooded.

Probably generated by the same storm in the N. Atlantic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

greenpilot wrote: »

On the 11th March 1861 at midday the light room of the East tower was struck by the sea smashing 23 panes, washing some of the lamps down the stairs, and damaging the reflectors with broken glass beyond repair. It must have been an incredible wave to have come up 133 feet of rock and then a further 87 feet of lighthouse tower to cause so much damage. In spite of the efforts of the Keepers to repair the damage it wasn't until the night of the 12th that the light was restored and then only with 12 lamps and reflectors.

Makes 20 meters look a bit wimpy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭Joe Public

You'd have to be able to distinguish between a wind generated wave and an earthquake generated wave. An earthquake generated wave can be very much larger than any wind generated wave.
    According to Met Eireann the measuring of larger waves is only a recent capability due to newer type buoys that are in place so our records don't go back very far. How far back I don't know as I'm not aware of when the newer buoys were installed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

http://news.sky.com/home/strange-news/article/16130315

A surfer has been pictured riding one of the biggest recorded waves ever to hit Irish shores.
    16130356.jpg
    Jayce Robinson was captured riding what is believed to be the largest wave recorded off Ireland's shores on Tuesday

Jayce Robinson was photographed catching the major Atlantic swell at Mullaghmore Head, which produced waves of up to 67ft.
    The daredevil dislocated his knee - and his board snapped in half - during his efforts on Tuesday

But Mr Robinson, from St Ives, is no rookie to the surf. He is the former top Association of Surfing Professionals (ASP) European junior - and hits the waves in international surfing competitions as much as possible.
    The 22-year-old, who has been surfing since he was just seven, told Sky News Online: "It was definitely the biggest barrell I've ever surfed.

:: Follow Jayce's surfing antics through his blog as he chases waves over Winter

"I was a little nervous but I didn't have time to think about it - it's almost like a car crash, you don't know what's happening.

16130361.jpg Jayce could not be seen after he wiped out on the monster wave

"I was only on it for about 20 seconds then the lip just hit me straight in the back and I went down.
    "It's like being in a washing machine and I felt my limbs get pulled all over the place. That's when I felt my knee pop."
    His mate - and fellow British surfer - Lyndon Wake witnessed the glorious ride after towing him out to the waves behind a jetski.
    "It's always a worst case scenario when your tow partner wipes out," he told Sky News Online.
    "Lucky he managed to come out the other side OK and I got him straight back on the jetski."

16130363.jpg Jayce (R) was towed out to the monster waves - and then rescued - by his mate Lyndon Wake on a jetski

The adrenalin-seeking pair have been in Ireland for about a month chasing the swells.
    "The waves are just amazing and world-class here at this time of year," Mr Robinson said.
    "(The wipeout) is not going to hold me back, that's for sure. As soon as my knee is better I will be back out there."
    On the same day, the Met Office said the largest Irish wave was measured at a special buoy off the Donegal coast, while a force 10 storm raged across the north coast.
    Meteorologists at Met Eireann said data from the sea conditions about 60 miles to sea were the most severe it has encountered that distance offshore.
    "The M4 weather buoy off the Donegal coast recorded a maximum wave height of 20.4 metres which is the highest maximum wave recorded in Irish waters," Met Eireann reported.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭vonbarracuda

God that Surfer has to be insane :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

There is a big difference in the waves these guys were surfing (which was on Monday - a day before the 20 m wave!) and the 20 m wave itself. The article above is inaccurate equating the two.

The waves near the shore were caused by swell, which are old waves which travel hundreds of miles ahead of the storm system that is generating them. They are gentle undulations in the surface of the sea, and only break on reaching the shallow water near the shore.

The 20 m wave observed out to sea was a wind wave, i.e. generated by the friction between the wind and the water. The Beaufort Force is a guide for mariners for estimating windspeeds from the appearance and size of waves. For waves this big, hurricane force winds are required. That is probably what was occuring out to sea on Tuesday, but the waves these guys were surfing on Monday were a completely different beast and should not be compared. The only thing they have in common is that they came from the same storm. They occured on different days.

185241.PNG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

was on magicseaweed on Monday. they had the exact times and locations for the mullaghmore wave in advance

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭WolfeIRE

AlMennieRecordWaveSurfer.jpg
    One of the world’s top big wave surfers believes he has found two spots off Ireland which could produce waves 120ft high.

Al Mennie, who has surfed some of the most extreme conditions on the planet, said he is waiting for the perfect conditions to surf what he believes is the largest swell on earth.

Advertisement