Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veggi soup

Options
  • 13-12-2011 9:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭

Just a few days ago I got some pureed vegetable soup in Boyers in Earl St Dublin and it reminded me of soup I used to get years ago that my gran made. Does anyone have an old fashioned recipe for a thick smooth veggie soup? The soup was a slight orange in colour so I guessing that there was a lot of carrot in it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭nesbitt

Basic soup.

Chop/slice the following: 2 med spuds, 2 large carrots, 2 onions, 1 clove garlic, 2 sticks celery, 2 leeks. 1 litre stock (veg, chicken or beef depending on your taste or preference)

Saute onions and leeks for 3 mins, add chopped garlic saute 1 min, then add in all other veg, saute for 3 mins, add any spices at this stage for eg. hot paprika. Then add the stock. Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer for approx 15/20mins until veg is cooked and tender. Do not over cook the veg, no further cooking needed. :) I sometimes stir in 100g couscous at this stage to thicken soup if needed.

Carefully blend with stick blender when soup has cooled a bit. Always take care when doing this as hot soup flying from a stick blender can scald etc.

This soup freezes well in tubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭westair

nesbitt wrote: »
    Basic soup.

Chop/slice the following: 2 med spuds, 2 large carrots, 2 onions, 1 clove garlic, 2 sticks celery, 2 leeks. 1 litre stock (veg, chicken or beef depending on your taste or preference)

Saute onions and leeks for 3 mins, add chopped garlic saute 1 min, then add in all other veg, saute for 3 mins, add any spices at this stage for eg. hot paprika. Then add the stock. Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer for approx 15/20mins until veg is cooked and tender. Do not over cook the veg, no further cooking needed. :) I sometimes stir in 100g couscous at this stage to thicken soup if needed.

Carefully blend with stick blender when soup has cooled a bit. Always take care when doing this as hot soup flying from a stick blender can scald etc.

That sounds great and bang on. Much thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Lovely recipe, Nesbitt.

My advice to the OP is that it is easy to make good veg soup BUT it is also very easy to make bland veg soup.

Good stock, plenty of herbs and flavourings will make all the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,045 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

nesbitt wrote: »
    Basic soup.

Saute onions and leeks for 3 mins, add chopped garlic saute 1 min, then add in all other veg, saute for 3 mins, add any spices at this stage for eg. hot paprika. Then add the stock. Bring to boil, then reduce to a simmer for approx 15/20mins until veg is cooked and tender. Do not over cook the veg, no further cooking needed. :)I sometimes stir in 100g couscous at this stage to thicken soup if needed.

Very good "any soup" recipe.

OP, don't listen to anyone who says to cook the veg for an hour because it intensifies the flavour or other such rubbish. What Nesbitt says is correct - the veg should be cooked till just tender and no more.

Advertisement